Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Lenny Bias

I grew up watching Lenny Bias at Maryland and I have always wondered if he had any cards available. I found a Maryland Schedule card with him on it but I don't know if PSA would grade it or not. I also know of the ACC Championship card that he would be on but it was released after his death. You hardly ever see autographs of him for sale. I know he died young but you would figure that he signed many autographs in college. Growing up in NC, Bias, Jordan, and Worthy were my favorites. It's a shame he died so young. He was the last one you would have thought would be into drugs. I guess I was naive back then.

Comments

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    He was amazing, imagine adding him to that Celtics roster already in place. I always assumed he was clean and just messed up that night because he didn't know what he was doing.

"Molon Labe"

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see the schedule.. Sounds like a cool item. I don't think psa will grade a schedule but I wish they did. They look great slabbed IMO and a cool way to get "cards" of college stars that didn't make the pros. I got these slabbed by bgs

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭

<< <i>He was amazing, imagine adding him to that Celtics roster already in place. I always assumed he was clean and just messed up that night because he didn't know what he was doing. >>

Watch the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary called "Without Bias". I agree that he was great and the sky was the limit. However it did not portray him as someone who made a bad decision on draft night. Apparently he had a history of drug abuse. It is a shame on many levels.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • He was before my time but the 30 for 30 was eye opening. Recommend it.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few Maryland game programs with him on the cover that I'll be listing on eBay soon..
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also enjoyed the 30 for 30 documentary

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am from the DC area and loved watching Bias but it's crazy how everyone keeps saying how great he would have been and how he was a can't miss. That's just not how the NBA works, there has been a long line of can't miss players that are out of the league in less then 5 years. This list goes on and on and on from Sam Bowie to Adam Morrison, etc... I do think he would have had a nice career but to assume he would have been a star is a stretch.

A couple of years after Bias died Walt Williams came along. Williams wasn't as athletic but he was just as good and it didn't translate into NBA stardom.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea how great, or not, Bias would have been in the NBA. But as a UNC Tar Heel fan since 1980, I can honestly say his performance vs. UNC at Chapel Hill in Feb 1986, UNC's first loss at the Smith Center, was the best game I have ever seen by a player vs. UNC. For one night in 1986 he was arguably the best basketball player on the planet.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, but I always thought it was just 'Len', not 'Lenny'.
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no idea how great, or not, Bias would have been in the NBA. But as a UNC Tar Heel fan since 1980, I can honestly say his performance vs. UNC at Chapel Hill in Feb 1986, UNC's first loss at the Smith Center, was the best game I have ever seen by a player vs. UNC. For one night in 1986 he was arguably the best basketball player on the planet. >>

For one night he was the best COLLEGE basketball player on the planet.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.