Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

General 4Q Price/Market Trends

Wanted to get thoughts on whether people generally felt, all things considered equal, whether 4Q typically represented a buyers or sellers market for cardboard collectibles? I have only been a buyer, but am coming to grips with the realities of both space and budgetary constraints. So is this a good time to sell? Better to be a buyer? My focus is generally unopened baseball, but would appreciate any thoughts or insights across the cardboard spectrum.

Thanks
Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't speak for unopened, but for sports cards in general, I feel it's a better time to be a buyer in Q4. People get a lot of money tied up with the holiday gifts, travel, etc. Q1 is much better for selling after people get $$ for Christmas and tax refunds start coming in. It also depends what you're selling and whether it's a sport that's in season (which generally leads to selling either faster or for more money).
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't speak for unopened, but for sports cards in general, I feel it's a better time to be a buyer in Q4. People get a lot of money tied up with the holiday gifts, travel, etc. Q1 is much better for selling after people get $$ for Christmas and tax refunds start coming in. It also depends what you're selling and whether it's a sport that's in season (which generally leads to selling either faster or for more money). >>

Kyle makes a lot of good points here. I agree that November and December do seem to be more of a buyer's market and if you can wait that tax return season is an opportune time to sell. Also, the type of product you are selling matters too. A couple years ago unopened was the big thing and things seemed to sell almost as fast as you can list them. The market has settled on unopened and you are seeing longer sell times at lower dollars. In contrast, the hot thing now seems to be graded HOF RCs particularly for the superstars. If you have those you can expect faster sales and you may not need to negotiate down much if at all. Good luck with your sales.
    Steve
  • Currently, I don't have to negotiate when selling at all. People are paying sticking price for those select cards. In fact, I hate putting a price on the cards for fear Ive underpriced them. But it locks me in to that price if thats my price I stated.
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    what, no kids n cards and the kramer pics, yet?

maybe the bull and bear this go round...

throw something truly creative out for us!
  • NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't speak for unopened, but for sports cards in general, I feel it's a better time to be a buyer in Q4. People get a lot of money tied up with the holiday gifts, travel, etc. Q1 is much better for selling after people get $$ for Christmas and tax refunds start coming in. It also depends what you're selling and whether it's a sport that's in season (which generally leads to selling either faster or for more money). >>

Kyle makes a lot of good points here. I agree that November and December do seem to be more of a buyer's market and if you can wait that tax return season is an opportune time to sell. Also, the type of product you are selling matters too. A couple years ago unopened was the big thing and things seemed to sell almost as fast as you can list them. The market has settled on unopened and you are seeing longer sell times at lower dollars. In contrast, the hot thing now seems to be graded HOF RCs particularly for the superstars. If you have those you can expect faster sales and you may not need to negotiate down much if at all. Good luck with your sales. >>

Thank you for the feedback. I personally tend to be more spendthrift during 4Q as my annual financial picture tends to crystallize and I have a better understanding of my discretionary budget. Given that 1Q is generally more challenging and tax season is typically a significant net cash outflow for me, seems I might be better positioned as a purchaser right now. Was thinking of getting into the seller's game in a few weeks, but maybe sit tight until 2016.

There's always more room in one of these closets for more unopened anyway. The wife is pregnant with our 3rd and is in full nesting mode, which means she has more eyes on my stash and the real estate that it occupies.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Good question. I think the recent auctions still are breaking records. If its quality material in the last couple years then in any Q people will find it. Its been such a bull market.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • The market is surging and Q4 would be a great time to sell, especially considering there will be a major market correction coming early in 2016.

I say cash in those cards and plunk down for a lake house!
  • Both.

• << <i>The market is surging and Q4 would be a great time to sell, especially considering there will be a major market correction coming early in 2016.

I say cash in those cards and plunk down for a lake house! >>

How do you know there will be a market correction coming in early 2016?
    Prove it.

<< <i>How do you know there will be a market correction coming in early 2016?

Prove it. >>

can you prove there wont be?

• << <i>

<< <i>How do you know there will be a market correction coming in early 2016?

Prove it. >>

can you prove there wont be? >>

No but I never stated that the market would go up or down in early 2016.
    Centered mantles said there would be a major market correction in early 2016.
    People have been saying there would be a market correction many times over the past couple of years but sales prices keep setting records.
    Maybe better hold on to your cards so you can get 2 lake houses instead of one when time to sell.
    nah, seems much better blowing it on meeting ric.