Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

shoeless Joe reinstated???

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/08/31/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-could-reinstate-shoeless-joe-jackson-on-tuesday/
Manfred is supposed to issue his decision tomorrow. What do you all think?? What could this mean for pete rose. Very interesting. I think if reinstated, Jackson's case would need to go to the veterans committee as he has already appeared on two hof ballets.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Hit .375 with 6 RBI in 8 games. If that's throwing I'd love to see what his numbers would be if he tried.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Why would you title your thread shoeless Joe reinstated?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, thread title is a liiiiiiiitle bit misleading (or just missing the question mark?).
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Well, if he does get reinstated and eventually voted in, I'll have to take all my Jackson's out of their penny sleeves and get them graded as I do all of my HOFer's.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Jackson was NOT reinstated by Manfred:

Say it still aint so...
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read a biography of Ted Williams and he was quoted as saying he tried to open discussion with the veterans committee on Joe Jackson and was immediately shot down.

Maybe this will change in the future, but being part of the "black sox" scandal (even if he didn't throw any games) could be too much of a political hot potato.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disingenuous and not a well defined letter from manfred IMO. Of course considering the quality (or lack there of ) of MLB commissioners this is not too surprising. image
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>Jackson was NOT reinstated by Manfred:

Say it still aint so... >>

Hey Robbie Baby! Do the right thing and show you've got a pair, instead of hiding behind past doofus and/or racist commissioners and skewed HOF balloting results from 80 years ago!
    Good opportunity to demonstrate you aren't Bud Lite II.
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hit .375 with 6 RBI in 8 games. If that's throwing I'd love to see what his numbers would be if he tried. >>

Very well put. I need to go watch 8 Men Out.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hit .375 with 6 RBI in 8 games. If that's throwing I'd love to see what his numbers would be if he tried. >>

Very well put. I need to go watch 8 Men Out. >>

Maybe wait a few months and check out Tim Hornbaker's forthcoming bio of Shoeless Joe. If it's as good as his Ty Cobb biography, we're in for a treat:

Fall From Grace by Tim Hornbaker
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

I suggest you do some research. You clearly need more knowledge of the events.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I suggest you do some research. You clearly need more knowledge of the events. >>

I just wish we had 20 years to look back on his career. I see faults on all party's involved.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    If Joe's defense it was 1918 and everyone was poor so a bribe was probably a deal he couldn't turn down...
    Cut him some slack and put him in the HOF and let's move on to today's game.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658