Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Charging State Sales Tax on Ebay

How many of you big Ebay sellers charge state sales tax to buyers within your own state?

And if you do, do you advise that in your listings? It sure seems like you would have to.

Comments

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I am not a big Ebay seller and I am not sure if it would be different if I was, but honestly, I dont give it a second thought. It is a PITA at my regular business to keep track of, charge and remit sales taxes to the state all on my own time and dime. Unless something changes, I dont think I will make a concerted effort to do it on ebay
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a handful of auctions over the years that advertise it in the descriptions, which, like S&H, would allow the buyer to take that into consideration before buying.

But I just won a card and when I went to go checkout, there it was. I double-checked the description and it wasn't there. Do I have to pay it?
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked with my state (Minnesota) and for regular people they treat these sales like garage sale items, no state sales tax required. HOWEVER it sounded like the state could also decide you were making too much and could have to pay. I was also asked if I had my own website I was selling from, so that could be a key as well.

Seller should have it listed in description. You could certainly bring it up, but it could cause you to lose the card. Before I talked to the State I tried to charge sales tax on a very low dollar item (free shipping too) and a buyer pi$$ed and moaned about paying the tax. That's when I contacted the State.

With the volume of money here, I would suppose the government wants some of it, in the future I bet all these transactions will be taxed.

Good luck.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine if it was this person's business, then yes, state tax would apply on any priced sale but if they failed to mention it in their listings, then I can see you being able to get out of paying this one time. It's not the buyer's responsibility to have a state sales tax sheet next to their monitor.
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I checked with my state (Minnesota) and for regular people they treat these sales like garage sale items, no state sales tax required. HOWEVER it sounded like the state could also decide you were making too much and could have to pay. I was also asked if I had my own website I was selling from, so that could be a key as well.

Seller should have it listed in description. You could certainly bring it up, but it could cause you to lose the card. Before I talked to the State I tried to charge sales tax on a very low dollar item (free shipping too) and a buyer pi$$ed and moaned about paying the tax. That's when I contacted the State.

With the volume of money here, I would suppose the government wants some of it, in the future I bet all these transactions will be taxed.

Good luck.[s/q]

What is the Minnesota state law regarding the sale of coins? I came across a coin on eBay a few weeks back and found it very odd that they were not able to sell the item to another resident of Minnesota.
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    I have a tax resale # from my state which allows me not to pay taxes on purchases for resale. I advertise and collect sales tax for all in state sales and remit to the state quarterly. It is a bit of an aggravation but better than losing my resale # and any other problems that could arise from neglecting it.
  • swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    I was on the understanding that if the seller was a business and the buyer was in-state, then yes, there's sales tax. Otherwise, no.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the Minnesota state law regarding the sale of coins? I came across a coin on eBay a few weeks back and found it very odd that they were not able to sell the item to another resident of Minnesota. >>

I would bet they are able to, but don't want to deal with the sales tax issues mentioned. Try to work an off-eBay deal with the seller.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the Minnesota state law regarding the sale of coins? I came across a coin on eBay a few weeks back and found it very odd that they were not able to sell the item to another resident of Minnesota. >>

I would bet they are able to, but don't want to deal with the sales tax issues mentioned. Try to work an off-eBay deal with the seller. >>

I didn't inquire about coins specifically. Just on line sales. If you can sell coins at a garage sale, ebay should be ok as well. I am not a coin guy and there could be rules about selling money that I am unaware of.

Good luck!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    regarding coins:

click here

www.brunkauctions.com