Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My 1980s Collection (scan heavy)

Some of you have already seen these. image

About 9 months ago I decided to get back to my roots and start collecting not only the cards that are popular today (it's the 1980s, so I use that term tongue in cheek) but the ones that I coveted as a 10-year old in 1987. My original plan was to just do the stuff I actually ripped as a kid but the project quickly took on a life of its own and I decided to expand to include all of the 1980s as well as the few years in the early-90s that I was still collecting. I've always been intrigued by the items from this time period that managed to beat the odds and either continued to be rare despite condition or are currently rare because of condition. I created an Excel spreadsheet and quickly began listing all cards I would be interested in acquiring as well as their PSA pop report information for PSA 8, PSA 9, and PSA 10. I did their raw numbers as well as the percentage of total submissions. Obviously, virtually none of these are rare but I figured I would try to tackle the comparatively tough cards first.

As of the time of me writing this, the checklist (spreadsheet) consists of 396 cards from 1980-1992. The bulk of which falls in the time period when I was a real pack-ripping fiend as a kid (1986-1989). All of the cards you would imagine might be on the list are on the list (ie. Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Griffey) but there's also a great deal of stuff that was big at the time on there, as well (ie. Gregg Jefferies, Kevin Maas, Chris Sabo, Joey Belle, etc). Also included are prominent errors (hello, 1988 Topps) and even some Minor League cards, as I remember that being a thing with the TCMA cards.

The original goal was to do everything in PSA 10 but once I expanded to include things like the 1980 Rickey Henderson and 1982 Ripken I had to make concessions. I didn't want this to turn into something that was investment-level, just a thing to do to have fun and enjoy the cards that I loved as a kid. While the grade I pursued tended to correlate with my interest in the card, I tried to focus on getting as close to perfect centering on everything as possible. Oddly enough, there are some cards from this era that are actually condition sensitive and some that are nearly impossible to find perfectly centered (I hate you, 1987 Fleer Update McGwire).

I haven't made much headway on pre-1985 but it's also the era I'm least interested in so I'll start there. So far....

Pre-1985

We're getting into the thick of it now with 1987 so I'm going to take a break.

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful cards. Especially love the 86 Topps Traded's and the 86 Donruss Canseco you have there. When those 86 Topps black borders are unchipped and gem mint, they look amazing as are the ones pictured. I pretty much collect anything 1980's baseball and it's funny how once you get into the mid to late 80's, 95% of the sets get no respect because of over production, but that does not take away from the fact that certain sets are extremely condition sensitive and even though they've literally printed millions of cards (like 1987 Donruss Highlights for example), it doesn't make it any easier to score 10's because of poor packaging and borders. Nice cards Reggie.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthur,

What a great trip down memory lane! You and I are the same age and I have fond memories of every one of those cards. I remember checking the box score every single morning in the newspaper to prospect on what the next hot card would be before the up arrows hit in the new months Beckett. I love seeing the Kevin Mitchell and Ruben Sierra cards in your collection...only 1980's kids can fully appreciate those. And how crazy was it when some young rookie for the Yankees crushed 8 HR within a few weeks of being called up...you couldn't find or buy enough 1990 Leaf Kevin Maas cards.

My personal favorite that you have posted is the 1983 Topps Ryno rookie...man that card was on fire in 1989 and is still one of the coolest RC ever made. Before you are done with your 1980's collection, please be sure to add a Darryl Strawberry and Eric Davis rookie to the list. Nothing better than their Fleer rookies!

Keep up the great collection and I look forward to the rest of the pics!

JGF
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post! Very nice collection. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Arthur,

What a great trip down memory lane! You and I are the same age and I have fond memories of every one of those cards. I remember checking the box score every single morning in the newspaper to prospect on what the next hot card would be before the up arrows hit in the new months Beckett. I love seeing the Kevin Mitchell and Ruben Sierra cards in your collection...only 1980's kids can fully appreciate those. And how crazy was it when some young rookie for the Yankees crushed 8 HR within a few weeks of being called up...you couldn't find or buy enough 1990 Leaf Kevin Maas cards.

My personal favorite that you have posted is the 1983 Topps Ryno rookie...man that card was on fire in 1989 and is still one of the coolest RC ever made. Before you are done with your 1980's collection, please be sure to add a Darryl Strawberry and Eric Davis rookie to the list. Nothing better than their Fleer rookies!

Keep up the great collection and I look forward to the rest of the pics!

JGF >>

I have vivid memories of grabbing the sports section of the paper every morning in 1987 and looking at the scores on the front page to see how any runs Oakland had scored so I could imagine how many home runs McGwire hit in those brief moments before turning the page and getting to the box score. Since they played late on the east coast there were plenty of times when they'd just get the final score on the front page but never got a chance to get the box score in. I was always left to wonder and had to wait and hope that they'd remember to add it in the next day's paper.

Strawberry and Davis are most certainly on the list and I'll add them at some point.

Arthur
  • Options

Arthur
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I was born in '76 so Im loving this thread. Do you have any Mattingly or Gwynn rookies?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is some impressive array of cardboard, Arthur!

I have always liked the 87 Topps set~I have two rack cases I bought years ago when I first got back into collecting, and one of these days, maybe in mid-winter during a snowstorm, I'm going to crack them open and put together a gem mint raw set.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I was born in 1975, raised in Chicago. This is right in my wheelhouse!

I am anxiously awaiting the 1988 Score Glossy Mark Grace PSA 10 and 1989 Upper Deck Jerome Walton PSA 10!
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Oh how I love these cards. Thanks for the memories, Arthur.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    My story and collecting goals are quite similar to yours. For singles I'm focusing on graded hof registry rookies from 76-92 since I collected cards from 81-92 and inherited my brother's collection from 76-82. I'm also collecting raw non-hofers and non-registry hof rookies from the same era. Anything before and after that does not really interest me much. While they are not my favorite sets, there isn't a nicer card from the 80s than a gem mint 86 Topps or 87 Donruss as your scans show.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    '77 here. same generation and cool thread. noticed that ruben sierra card in there!! nice. did anyone else appreciate him as much as I did as a kid?

break out the error cards....

the 88 leiter & comstock
    the 87 greenwell
    the 89 ripken ff
    the 90 marion fb
  • Options

<< <i>While they are not my favorite sets, there isn't a nicer card from the 80s than a gem mint 86 Topps or 87 Donruss as your scans show. >>

Agree. I also have a new-found appreciation for 1987 Topps and 1988 Score. Both sets are ones I plan to tackle graded at some point in the future. Searching for these cards and having to wait for ones that are centered to my liking has also given me a some perspective on which issues are tougher than others. I remember it taking a while to find an '86 Fleer Update Bonds that had great centering and I still haven't found an '87 Fleer Update McGwire that is close to perfectly centered.

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>'77 here. same generation and cool thread. noticed that ruben sierra card in there!! nice. did anyone else appreciate him as much as I did as a kid?

break out the error cards....

the 88 leiter & comstock
    the 87 greenwell
    the 89 ripken ff
    the 90 marion fb >>

I actually collect Greenwell cards so those are a separate venture for me. What is the '87 Greenwell error?

The other two baseball errors are on their way. image

Arthur
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    yep, I believe it was the 87 donruss w/ red stripe!!!
  • Options

Arthur
  • Options
    Great cards. Brings back lots of memories right there when I was 8, 9 and 10 years old. Loved me some 1988 Topps. Keep the scans coming.
  • Options

Arthur
  • Options
    creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Great thread. I am doing a similar project 1984-1991 Topps Tiffany Rookies of significant players. It has been a blast collecting these cards.
  • Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Great collection. Love seeing all those old cards I forgot about.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was my hay day as a young collector. Thanks for sharing

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Did PSA make some allowances for those corners on the 87 Donruss Rookies??
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I miss Arthur
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Just some iconic cards from childhood. Thanks for sharing.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Great cards Reggie
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone does realize the first page of this thread is over a year old, right?
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stingray
    Did PSA make some allowances for those corners on the 87 Donruss Rookies??

The Maddux is pretty much par for the course where the 87 Donruss Rookies are concerned.
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I just realized how much young Steve Sax looks like Andy Samberg.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector
    Everyone does realize the first page of this thread is over a year old, right?

Anyone who misses Arthur did image

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Nice. Some of these should be in everyone's collection. Love the psa 10 canseco 86 donruss I have one too. I also have one that is raw that I got out of a pack in 1989. I got 4 packs for my bday, they were $20 per pack! And in pack 2 there was a Jose. Not in very good condition but I kept it for memories sake. The psa 10 I got super cheap. His cards unfortunately suck and I collected him throughout his career
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Very fun project. Those cards bring back a lot of great memories. Especially, the 1988 Fleer Headliner Mark McGwire. I can't remember, did those only come in rack packs? Thanks for taking the time to share.
  • Options
    raykasaraykasa Posts: 186 ✭✭
    beware the savage jaw of 1984? what happened to that year?