Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Review Poppage~1975 Topps Mini Baseball

As many of you know, I am an avid 75 mini collector, of unopened product as well as a set collector. I started putting together my 75 mini set in PSA 8 or better back in 2007, and am now down to needing just 5 cards to finish it. A large percentage of my set consists of self-submitted cards I pulled from packs over the years~too many to count (or that I wish to recall, lol)~and I can state for the record that obtaining PSA 10 minis via the self-submission route is very difficult indeed. I have also passed on a fair share of 9s with lower eye appeal to select what I felt were nicer 8s to fill slots in my set, my pickiness likely one of the primary reasons that it has taken me this long to finish the set. I know that most people recommend cracking out a card over the review route for obtaining a bump in grade, as review subs are scrutinized pretty strictly, in general, but I recently went through my graded set with an eye towards putting together a review sub with as critical an eye as possible, and after screening hundreds of PSA 9 cards in my set, I wound up with 32 cards to send in~31 PSA 9s and one PSA 8.5 (1957 MVP card). All 31 PSA 9s were as nice and and as sharp as any PSA 10 already in my set, and the vast majority were cards I pulled from packs myself.

Just got the cards back today, and normally a 2 for 32 batting average would be quitre pitiful, but instead I am pretty pleased overall, as both of the PSA 9 cards that bumped to PSA 10 are very low pop cards~a now pop 3 #359 Popovich and a now pop 2 #360 Scott. The funny part of this result is that I also self-subbed the first PSA 10 #360 Scott card a few years ago, but I sold it back then as I received an offer for the (then) pop 1 that was too good to pass up. Here are the bumps:

15 1 19306483 GEM MINT 10 1975 Topps Mini 359 Paul Popovich Card
16 1 15710709 GEM MINT 10 1975 Topps Mini 360 George Scott Card

Anyway, I just wanted to share these results, and although only 2 out of 32 cards wound up bumping, the two that did were very well-deserving and now reside in their rightful holders.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Congrats, a tough set to put together. Those PSA 10's are one heck of an accomplishment also.
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As many of you know, I am an avid 75 mini collector, of unopened product as well as a set collector. I started putting together my 75 mini set in PSA 8 or better back in 2007, and am now down to needing just 5 cards to finish it. A large percentage of my set consists of self-submitted cards I pulled from packs over the years~too many to count (or that I wish to recall, lol)~and I can state for the record that obtaining PSA 10 minis via the self-submission route is very difficult indeed. I have also passed a fair share of 9s with lower eye appeal and even selecting what I felt were nicer 8s to fill slots in my set, my pickiness likely one of the primary reasons that it has taken me this long to finsih the set. I know that most people recommend cracking out a card over the review route for obtaining a bump in grade, as review subs are scrutinized pretty strictly, in general, but I recently went through my graded set with an eye towards putting together a review sub with as critical an eye as possible, and after screening hundreds of PSA 9 cards in my set, I wound up with 32 cards to send in~31 PSA 9s and one PSA 8.5 (1957 MVP card). All 31 PSA 9s were as nice and and as sharp as any PSA 10 already in my set, and the vast majority were cards I pulled from packs myself.

Just got the cards back today, and normally a 2 for 32 batting average would be quitre pitiful, but instead I am pretty pleased overall, as both of the PSA 9 cards that bumped to PSA 10 are very low pop cards~a now pop 3 #359 Popovich and a now pop 2 #360 Scott. The funny part of this result is that I also self-subbed the first PSA 10 #360 Scott card a few years ago, but I sold it back then as I received an offer for the (then) pop 1 that was too good to pass up. Here are the bumps:

15 1 19306483 GEM MINT 10 1975 Topps Mini 359 Paul Popovich Card
    16 1 15710709 GEM MINT 10 1975 Topps Mini 360 George Scott Card

Anyway, I just wanted to share these results, and although only 2 out of 32 cards wound up bumping, the two that did were very well-deserving and now reside in their rightful holders. >>

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice work Tim!

Congrats!

They could've at least bumped the 8.5 to a 9image
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Congrats.

If you want to, let me know the five that you need I may be able to help...awhile ago i ripped double digit number of packs and the cards have since sat untouched...as fresh as you can get....only pulled out a couple of cards someone needed...other than that they are essentially unopened wax cardboard barely touched once, sharp corners...sitting in stacks in a nice dry enclosed environment...the centering was great on the majority of them and prob still has the gum dust on a few.....PM me if I can help...you never know

I didn't know about your set...i recently sold 8-10 FASC boxes 15-25% below market....would have def liked you to have ripped a box or two..

anyways...no charge for the cards if i can help
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Tim, I know how picky you are, so I hope one day you will scan your whole set so the we can see it. I hope the remaining 5 make it to you sooner than later.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice bumpage. Good luck in your remaining 5.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done. Congrats. Make sure to post the a picts of the new 10's.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work! It does sometimes seem like if you send in a bunch they feel obligated to throw you a few bones....
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    That is great Tim!
    Nikklos
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the two bumps and love the background on the Scott, pretty cool that you submitted both 10's! Might as well send the rest back in and see if you can get a few more LOL

Jeremy
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim - congrats on the grades. 75 minis are one of my favorites.
  • Boomer!
  • rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    2 of 32 is really good Tim. Nice work!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. Congratulations, Tim!
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG - Nice bumpski's image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys~I appreciate all the kind words~even David's, lol..

Will post scans tonight of the two dimes~seebelow, thanks for the offer on the raw cards, too~much appreciated. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, guys~I appreciate all the kind words~even David's, lol >>

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Tim. Congrats on the bumps. What value would you put on those two? (NO, not to you ... to the average person!!!! LOL)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>WTG Tim. Congrats on the bumps. What value would you put on those two? (NO, not to you ... to the average person!!!! LOL) >>

Thanks, Doug. Pop 2 10s that are full-sized retail for around $500. For a pop 3, I'd put value at around $350-$400.

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Tim, your persistence should be commended. No problem shooting for perfection right? Waiting on results of a 34 card mini sub to pop. What cards do you need now? Take care. Doug

<< <i>Nice work Tim, your persistence should be commended. No problem shooting for perfection right? Waiting on results of a 34 card mini sub to pop. What cards do you need now? Take care. Doug >>

Thanks, Doug, I appreciate the kind words~reviews are not a route I would normally endeavor to take, but in this case, I felt the time was right, and wanted to make it worth the sub fees at least.

As requested, here is a scan of the two cards, just back from PSA:

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't get any better right there.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Tim. Those are a couple of blazers.
    Steve
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Awesome cards Tim! Congrats also to being down to just 5 cards to complete your set. Those are beautiful cards right there.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Tim, thanks for posting pictures of those gems! I can't believe that you are down to 5 cards to complete the set and that many of the cards were pack pulled and submitted yourself! How long have you been looking for the last five cards? Have you seen any for sale in the last few years that you liked?

Jeremy
  • Grading is subjective and if you send in enough for review you will eventually get a bump. Persistent pays.

IMO, however, the system would be more "fair" if the review process was a 2 way street. Meaning that the grade could go up or down.

Regardless, congratulations on your success, those are certainly blazers.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job Tim. How many 10s do you have in your set now?
    Thanks again, guys!

John, that is a good question and one I had to look up to get the answer for~I have 21 10s in my set.

Jeremy, I was able to pick up a few more cards I needed recently thanks to the kindness of some board members~Doug (piggs), David (dakillo) and Ryan (ryanseven). I'm in no rush to finish~when the right cards come along, I will add them, but a part of me will miss the chase once I finish, lol...I am actually starting a second off-grade set, which I did primarily for the lower grade cards with nice eye appeal that I seem to get back with most subs.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks again, guys!

John, that is a good question and one I had to look up to get the answer for~I have 21 10s in my set.

Jeremy, I was able to pick up a few more cards I needed recently thanks to the kindness of some board members~Doug (piggs), David (dakillo) and Ryan (ryanseven). I'm in no rush to finish~when the right cards come along, I will add them, but a part of me will miss the chase once I finish, lol...I am actually starting a second off-grade set, which I did primarily for the lower grade cards with nice eye appeal that I seem to get back with most subs. >>

Well Tim, you can always start on a PSA 9 1952 Topps set once you finish the minis. That way you never have to worry about the chase ending!
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    hi tim

great news....i found 2 of the five cards that you need in the packs i ripped...only ripped 10-15 packs i think....ill let you decide if they're good enough..

anyone here have the other 3? he's a great contributor...glad i (we) could help

i PMd you a bit ago...lmk
    thanks
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Fantastic. Based only on aesthetics, hands-down my favorite baseball set after 1970.
    Thanks again, guys!

Seebelow~PM sent~thanks for checking into that for me~very much appreciated!