Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wanna go to a virtual card show?

Went to a show tonight. Got back an hour ago. I took some pictures cause I know many of you like to see whats out there. This show is in Fort Lauderdale Fl. Its in a hotel and they rent out the ballroom to us every month. As for how the show went. It was a pretty good turnout. I didn't see TOO much money exchanging hands but again, I wasn't staring either. Lots of the dealers do trades which sometimes include cash. I did see something funny tonight when someone (male - mid to late 20's) asked about a Jeter SP 9. The seller said 14, so the guy gives him a 10 and a 5 and tells the dealer to keep the change. It was pretty funny because the person was serious too. He looked embarrassed when the dealer then said, its $1400, not $14 dollars.

As for me, I picked up a card that I have already owned twice in the past but needed it again for my PC. This one is by far the best copy out of the others Ive seen in terms of sharp corners and centering.

As for the photos, well here you go..

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job at capturing the show in photos~impressive selection of vintage cards, too.

Thanks for posting all the pics!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the good report. There sure is no shortage of fine old/new material out there. Interesting to note from your pictures. One vendor priced their material (Book Price/Actual price) while the other one did not price any cards. Always wondered what the buying public prefers, either priced or not priced. And the pros/cons of both systems. For myself I like to see a price, so at least there is a starting point to work from, as most of the time seller/buyer knows that the posted price is just that.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is some high quality stuff! Especially for a monthly show.

BTW, why would a seller say "14" instead of 14 hundred?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I've always disliked the book price and our price stickers. It doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
    The GMA slabbed cards are hilarious. I'd be embarrassed to even display them.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that! i really enjoyed that made me miss going to shows and my local card shops.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing some great pictures of very nice cards. It looks like an excellent show.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing. I used to go to shows in Ft Lauderdale, and they used to have a great one in the winter months back when I was growing up in south Florida - lots of people down from up north for the winter. Some great vintage stuff in high grade there / do you remember the dealer who had all of the nice Yankees stuff?
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the good report. There sure is no shortage of fine old/new material out there. Interesting to note from your pictures. One vendor priced their material (Book Price/Actual price) while the other one did not price any cards. Always wondered what the buying public prefers, either priced or not priced. And the pros/cons of both systems. For myself I like to see a price, so at least there is a starting point to work from, as most of the time seller/buyer knows that the posted price is just that. >>

I prefer they have a price. That way I don't have to ask what they want on a bunch of cards and waste both our times if their prices are sky high. I'll spend more time going through someone's table that has prices, than the same table that does not have prices.
  • Options
    "Book price" is an utterly meaningless term in today's sports card market.

Also, that's a really nice looking '68 Maris.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Some really nice pre-war stuff. Love the 40-60's stuff!!! Lots of great looking RC's i love seeing.
    Was suprised to see a 52 Mick in there, did it say Altered? on it. Wonder what the asking price was?
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, Marc and congrats on that stunning '68 Maris! Some really nice cards at this show. I like the Red Heart Musial.
    Daniel
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Man I would have loved to buy that 61T Mantle PSA 8!
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to post this.

That 1951 Bowman PSA 2 Mantle to the right of the 1952 Topps BGS Mantle looks nice for the grade.
  • Options
    Nice vintage baseball thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like a show with great stuff! And Jeeeeeez does that little 51B Mick look amazing-- hits the eye like a 3.5 easy at first glance with that nice image and uncommonly nice centering image

If your Maris said GEM MT it wouldn't look out of place-- gorgeous sharp card, bro!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing and enjoy that awesome looking Maris!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for checking out the photos and leaving your comments. I really enjoy reading what everyones interests are at these shows. There are certainly some heavy hitters (dealers) at this shows with some high quality inventory.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Thank you that was cool. Nothing like a good card show. Congrats on your pickup as well.
  • Options
    JuggsJuggs Posts: 495
    If I were going to set up for a show I'd load my tables with common boxes. Seems like very show I go to there's always a large amount of people dropping $10-20 on commons each sitting.

Thanks for the pictures.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Marc, congratulations on the 1968 Roger Maris. Definitely certified high end to me. Sorry I couldn't resist. image

Thanks for sharing the pictures from the show. Lots of eye candy there.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    I love your 68 Maris and the 67 you showed in the other thread! I'd love to check out your registry. Can you link it?