Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

JULY acquisitions -- let's do this!

Apologies in advance to Mark for usurping his monthly authority, but we need to get this party started, no? Hope you don't mind, brother!

Uncanny timing, as the first day of the month resulted in the arrival of my 24th and final pack for my 80T FB super cello box. This labor of love took about 20 months for me to complete -- about 16-17 longer than I initially anticipated. I quickly found out that the packs don't surface often and a box is a veritable mirage.

In true geekish behavior of an unopened type, I got home from work today and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to decide which packs were worthy of an appearance on the "all-important" top row. I ultimately decided on the following:

Tony D
Franco
Clay Matthews (his RC)
John Hannah (best OL not named Anthony Munoz, imo)
Ken Houston (best safety not named Ronnie Lott, imo)
Wilbert Montgomery (fellow ACU alum!)

Looking forward to another great month!

Comments

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Great Start Stephen!

Awesome box....and you know which top pack I like.

Congrats on completion of another box project!

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>you know which top pack I like. >>

John Hannah I hope. image
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Arrived in today's mail, so I guess I can call it a July acquisition:

• heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Holy cow what a start. Nice job guys.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Holy cow what a start. Nice job guys. >>

Indeed! Love that super cello box, Stephen~I have 79 and 80 baseball boxes.

David, a self-submitted 1971 PSA 9 is also mighty impressive. Gibson RC is beautifully centered, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't it be acquisition's?
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    More custom cuts to go with my Gatsby collection. Jeffrey (alifaxwa2) does amazing work!

All of these have this Gatsby back....

The new additions....

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Wow Stephen! Now that's how you jump the gun and drop a load!

Great additions as always fellas, muchos jelosos!
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    From the Topps Vault, Cal Ripken Jr. 1998 Bowman's Best Final Slide Negative

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • PSASAP,

That's a good looking Gibby! Well done.

• << <i>Shouldn't it be acquisition's? >>

Nope!
  • Definitely should be "aquasitions".

Only water themed or blue background cards allowed.
    Gibby RC is fantastic!
  • Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    An ebay pickup:

And TTM return:
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice start to the month fellas. I am not sure I have ever seen a 80 super box before, congrats that's a nice build. Gibson rookie is outstanding. Congrats to you all.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Gibson rookie is outstanding

^^This
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    And TTM return:
    image >>

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    this thing is the absolute tits! very, very, very nice alex!!!
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And TTM return:
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    this thing is the absolute tits! very, very, very nice alex!!! >>

+1, wow!
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely should be "aquasitions".

Only water themed or blue background cards allowed. >>

I don't know why, but I'm a sucker for blue cards. Too bad they chip easily.

Love the Palmer and Ward.
    the stats on this guy are insane, plus one of those players who played his entire career w/ one team.

• jmlabonnerjmlabonner Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Got these in mail from SGC earlier:

Acquired via TTM

Acquired in-person

Acquired via TTM and Failed Authentication

Acquired from eBay and Failed Authentication. 3rd time this has happened with an 1984 Fleer Chili Davis! He is the LAST card I need to complete my 1984 Fleer Giants autos.

Acquired via TTM and Failed Authentication/Autopen Signature

<< <i>the stats on this guy are insane, plus one of those players who played his entire career w/ one team. >>

Wow, that's an AWESOME card! When I was growing up, the Sox only had 4 retired numbers and Doerr was one of them. Awesome player and now I'm curious what that set you back. Thanks for sharing!

<< <i>

<< <i>the stats on this guy are insane, plus one of those players who played his entire career w/ one team. >>

Wow, that's an AWESOME card! When I was growing up, the Sox only had 4 retired numbers and Doerr was one of them. Awesome player and now I'm curious what that set you back. Thanks for sharing! >>

"the path of the righteous man is bessette on all sides..." image
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
  • RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    July's pickup

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
    As always, the variety of items in this thread is amazing~always a pleasure seeing what others collect!

Just in today~a 1974 Topps baseball wax pack with the ever popular Bonus Team Checklist and New York Mets T-shirt promo on back, lol...card on back is face out and last 3 letters appear to be ITT. Haven't done the research to determine who that player is, but that's another fun challenge when studying these vintage wax packs..any guesses? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 1971 sub which was very harsh and largely disappointing...but at least I did get these two, which are both fairly low pop...

<< <i>This is the card Tim....

image >>

Exellent, Dave~I knew you would be able to figure it out!

Love that PSA 9 Millan card~and a self-subbed 9 is sweet!

• This completes my basketball fun bag collection. Unless I'm missing a year. I have 74' 78' 80' and 81

Speaking of former Mets, I just received this 1977 rack pack, with the immortal Wayne Garrett on top. image

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Purchased this once I received a 4x eBay bucks offer. Slowly upgrading my Basic Clemente Registry:

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    July is hot out of the gate.

Cannot thank Dnice enough for his help in reeling this in from across the whole country! Whenever I look at this card, I'll always remember the help received from such a nice fellow collector and on the 4th as well. A card I've been scrambling to get more of before they go the way of its bigger, year-older cousin image

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>July is hot out of the gate.

Cannot thank Dnice enough for his help in reeling this in from across the whole country! Whenever I look at this card, I'll always remember the help received from such a nice fellow collector and on the 4th as well. A card I've been scrambling to get more of before they go the way of its bigger, year-older cousin image

image >>

Awesome!! I'm looking for a centered authentic/PSA 1 to complete my 1st Ballot HOFers, so if you know of anyone....
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Apologies in advance to Mark for usurping his monthly authority, but we need to get this party started, no? Hope you don't mind, brother!

Stephen,

No worries or apologies necessary brother. I saw this thread on Net54 and thought it would be great for the CU forums. I just got back from Ohio today and forgot about the July thread so Thank You for starting it up. Anybody can start it.......I am just happy to see everyone enjoying and contributing to the threads. Awesome pick-up's so far. Can't wait for August's thread when we get to see some choice acquisitions from the Natty. I did get a T206 while I was gone and will post tomorrow.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>July is hot out of the gate.

image >>

Argh... You couldn't leave this one for me? I PMed Marc about the card too, but by then you had already swooped in. Congrats on the nice 4th of July pick up! I guess we weren't the only ones who saw this beauty in the pictures, because Marc said I was 4th in line for board members who PMed him on this same card.
    Steve
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Patsy was waiting for me when I got home yesterday. Small paper loss on back is the reason for the SGC 10 grade. Have always liked this card, especially the colors.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    Had a recent pack submission pop. The 75 mini cello was part of a group rip here. The 77 cello pack was a GAI crack out. The 80 cello was a raw purchase on ebay. I was really excited about the 1970 hockey pack. It was a tough pack to track down. It was a GAI 8 crack out and was happy it crossed. It was the last pack needed for my 70s topps hockey pack set and 70s multi sport topps pack set. here is the link to the 70s pack set and pictures of the new packs.

Jim

70s pack set

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Acquired in-person
    image >>

Nice Bo auto!!
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    A few more FACT pick-ups:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not as exciting as the auto'd Bancroft RC, but knocked out 1 of the 6 remaining for my 90 Pro Set golf auto set....
    The attempt at erasing the personalization let me pick up this one pretty cheap for an Arnie auto.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Scooped this in the waning hours of June 4x Bucks, for my Bowman Mantle run.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • This is one that I picked up last week which now almost completes my Maris basic card set in high grade. If anyone has a 63 Topps in an 8.5 that they wouldn't mind partying with, please let me know.

• MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Technically, not a July acquisition, but I received this back in the mail from PSA today. It was pack pulled from a BBCE group rip, sorry Mike image

Edited: Awesome stuff in this thread!! Keep the pictures coming!!

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Marino rookie. Now that is a group rip that went very well for you!!
    been working on auto'd versions to compliment my basic mantle sets....

i liked the overall half way decent centering and the solid red bottom left-hand corner on this one.

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Technically, not a July acquisition, but I received this back in the mail from PSA today. It was pack pulled from a BBCE group rip, sorry Mike image

Edited: Awesome stuff in this thread!! Keep the pictures coming!!

image >>

Football is o.k. to rip, Baseball not so much. image

Congrats on the great grade on that one.

Btw, I pulled a Marino from a 1984 pack as well. Of course, I didn't buy the pack though. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Just scored this tonight. May be the nicest one I've ever seen, couldn't pass it up!

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just scored this tonight. May be the nicest one I've ever seen, couldn't pass it up!

image >>

Luckily Rick doesn't have a certified high end designation, otherwise, that would have cost a bundle. Great eye as always Dave.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.