Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

BBCE to Auction a 1997 Metal PMG Green Michael Jordan

This caught my eye in the latest SMR. I realize this is not everyone's collecting interest, but if you enjoy 1990's inserts, this is likely one of the highest demand cards to obtain. Any predictions as to what it will close at?

At first, I was wondering why it was graded as authentic, but after some thought, it's probably the way to go. The card is likely a 6 and it's really more about owning ANY copy. With this being #1 of 10, it wouldn't matter to me the grade.

Comments

• burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Crazy the owner just pulled it ripping a box last year. That's hitting the ultimate jackpot for modern basketball.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.

• << <i>There's 100 of them and they're THAT expensive? That one looks all chipped up. >>

There are only 10 that are green, it is all chipped up, and, yes, it is THAT expensive.
  • burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's 100 of them and they're THAT expensive? That one looks all chipped up. >>

Only the first 10 are green, the balance red. It is the single most valuable insert (card?) he has. THey are notorious for bad chipping so that doesn't matter much value-wise. Crazy enough this will clear $100K.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    That looks more like a 3, but I would rather have a grade 3 than an 'authentic.'
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know BBCE was auctioning off this card. I don't know why but I'm actually excited and kind of, "giddy" about this now. I feel like a school girl.
    Anyway, I predict it will be around 100k!

When it was first pulled, the owner put it on ebay raw, it was around 60k when he took it down.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not big into the 90's inserts but that is definitely a big time card. I remember when news came out that the card was pulled. Congrats to Steve and BBCE for scoring this high profile consignment. I will be interested to see where the auction ends. I would not be surprised to see an international bidder win and nothing would surprise me for the final hammer.
    Steve
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Why is this card so popular? Aren't there a bunch of Michael Jordan cards serial numbered to 10 or less?
  • What are previous recorded sales amounts of a green PMG metal Jordan?

• << <i>Why is this card so popular? Aren't there a bunch of Michael Jordan cards serial numbered to 10 or less? >>

I was wondering that too.
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is this card so popular? Aren't there a bunch of Michael Jordan cards serial numbered to 10 or less? >>

Because the powers to be tell you so.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why is this card so popular? Aren't there a bunch of Michael Jordan cards serial numbered to 10 or less? >>

Because the powers to be tell you so. >>

Anyone have a better explanation? I left cards a few years after the game used and 1/1 inserts started hitting the market. When I returned, it seemed all those cards from the late 90s were worth about 1-5% of their original values. Why did this card hold up/appreciate?
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Because the powers to be tell you so. >>

Anyone have a better explanation? I left cards a few years after the game used and 1/1 inserts started hitting the market. When I returned, it seemed all those cards from the late 90s were worth about 1-5% of their original values. Why did this card hold up/appreciate? >>

Because it's the second rarest non-1/1 card ever made of Jordan from his first appearance on a card in 1984 to 1997-98, which pre-dates the "low serial-numbered card craze/explosion" of 1998-99 to now.
  • byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Very limited in a product that was made in decent quantities--have heard of many boxes being opened without a red bring hit

Resurgence in 90s inserts by those who are older with $ now

Read years ago that five to seven of these were in a PC overseas

Jordan is also a pretty decent player
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. This is pretty interesting/amazing. You can pick up a Jordan game worn rookie jersey for less than that, and we're talking the entire jersey, not a 1" swatch. I can't really wrap my ahead around this, but it should be fun to watch regardless.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Over 7 days left and the card is already over $70k. Maybe someone more computer savvy than me can link the auctionimage
    Steve
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • I was gonna bid, then realized, it didnt come with a wife and kids.
    Why would they use a auction provider service (Gazin)? Are they getting a cut %?
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)

<< <i>I was gonna bid, then realized, it didnt come with a wife and kids.
    Why would they use a auction provider service (Gazin)? Are they getting a cut %? >>

I was wondering this as well.

• << <i>

Very limited in a product that was made in decent quantities--have heard of many boxes being opened without a red bring hit

Resurgence in 90s inserts by those who are older with $ now

Read years ago that five to seven of these were in a PC overseas

Jordan is also a pretty decent player >>

I also heard 6-7 overseas and wont be surprised if this one makes its way there as well.
    In AL we trust
  • So this is Jordan's most valuable card a limited edition insert card. Makes no sense to me.
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    somewhere in western asia there is a man nervous, frantic as can be. uncontrollably biting his fingernails.

pacing back and forth. his finger has developed a callous solely from hitting the refresh button.

he's twitching. he wakes easily. his mind full of the overwhelming glee of spending $108,000 to finally secure his precious.

this will be the man's longest week ever.

the irony? it will only be followed up by his longest month ever---

until that glorious day his postal carrier pulls up on her 1983 vespa, complete w/ taped on headlight to deliver his baby.

...i am glad this man is not me.
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So this is Jordan's most valuable card a limited edition insert card. Makes no sense to me. >>

Since when does "making sense" have anything to do with this hobby. None of this cardboard has any real value.....except to collector's and the market they deal in.
    Rarity + Jordan = Value
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians

• << <i>

<< <i>So this is Jordan's most valuable card a limited edition insert card. Makes no sense to me. >>

Since when does "making sense" have anything to do with this hobby. None of this cardboard has any real value.....except to collector's and the market they deal in.
    Rarity + Jordan = Value >>

This card is not even Jordan's rookie or not even an auto card. There are 10 of these insert cards and it's only an authentic grade so there are higher grades out there. You think $84k(the current auction price) is the real value?
    Watch the card price decrease in the future as collectors figure that rarity does not always mean value.
  • sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

This card is not even Jordan's rookie or not even an auto card. There are 10 of these insert cards and it's only an authentic grade so there are higher grades out there. You think $84k(the current auction price) is the real value?
    Watch the card price decrease in the future as collectors figure that rarity does not always mean value. >>

There are way more than 10 Jordan collector's with pretty deep pockets. This is easily one of his top 5 most desired cards. There are plenty of Jordan's numbered to 10 or less that don't command this kind of money. But that is due to the popularity and collectability of this set. Also, these cards /10 were tough pulls. You can find products today where you pull a card /10 every box or 2. But these were extremely tough. When it comes to the insane price, think of it like the registry in a way. You have Jordan collectors and also set collectors going after this card. It is going to take 100k+ to get this. Wouldn't be surprised to see it top 120k.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1,370 watchers. Never seen a card even close to that high.

• Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    So it got me thinking that this could not happen in our current market (2015).

If this kind of card were produced today it would be a redemption.

Only buy products that are redemption free or demand that redemptions never expire.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Watch the card price decrease in the future as collectors figure that rarity does not always mean value. >>

There's always the possibility of cards decreasing in value. It would be very hard to pinpoint an exact value on the pmg green Jordan because so few are ever seen/sold. But high end Jordan inserts have huge Collectibility.
    But again, you are correct about the possibility of the decreasing value. A few years ago the well known Jordan collector "natsturner" bought a Jordan pmg red BGS 9.5 for around 40k, only to end up selling it for around 14.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    $84,300.00 with 4 days and change to go. This is totally amazing!
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    It's also the "rarest" of the greens, since it's #'d "001". I can see it reaching at least $150k.
  • kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's also the "rarest" of the greens, since it's #'d "001". I can see it reaching at least $150k. >>

Agreed. Should be a 100k with room to grow.
    Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/361346835409?_trksid=p2054897.m570.l4469&amp;_trkparms=gh1g=I361346835409.N17.S2.M-344.R2.TR3

I had heard at the National that the guy was offered $150,000 and opted to let it go to auction. Assuming he was just a regular guy like me, I'd be kicking myself hard for not taking him up on that right now. Still a major jackpot, but missing out on 59 grand has gotta be a tough TOUGH pill to swallow. OUCH.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Over on the blowout board they are saying bbce confirmed an ebay issue and bids didn't process. Don't know how this thing is going to e resolved

• << <i>http://www.ebay.com/itm/361346835409?_trksid=p2054897.m570.l4469&amp;_trkparms=gh1g=I361346835409.N17.S2.M-344.R2.TR3

I had heard at the National that the guy was offered $150,000 and opted to let it go to auction. Assuming he was just a regular guy like me, I'd be kicking myself hard for not taking him up on that right now. Still a major jackpot, but missing out on 59 grand has gotta be a tough TOUGH pill to swallow. OUCH. >>

The guy probably made it up that he was offered $150k in attempts to Jack up the bidding price. If he was really offered $150k I'm sure he would have taken it especially with no auction fees. No way this card is worth close to six figures.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I had heard at the National that the guy was offered $150,000 and opted to let it go to auction. Assuming he was just a regular guy like me, I'd be kicking myself hard for not taking him up on that right now. Still a major jackpot, but missing out on 59 grand has gotta be a tough TOUGH pill to swallow. OUCH. >>

Yeah. That would be a horrible feeling with many sleepless nights to follow image
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    What happened? This was at like 86k on Thursday morning if I remember correctly.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    It's back on the market. This time for $375,000.

Michael Jordan 1997 Metal PMG Green

• << <i>It's back on the market. This time for $375,000.

Michael Jordan 1997 Metal PMG Green >>

so the buyer never paid? shocking....
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    So having the card graded as "Authentic" is better than assigning it a number grade??
  • I don't think these grade well so it might be better to not put a number on it but "prove" its authenticity
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't seem to remember seeing a flip before that had the card's serial number included on the 3rd line like this one does.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't seem to remember seeing a flip before that had the card's serial number included on the 3rd line like this one does. >>

My guess is it's only for these where they consecutively numbered two different colors.

If it won't grade at least an 8, I agree it's probably better to go with Authentic and let the rarity do the rest. In this case, you're paying for the #1, not the grade.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    If your going to go with a authentic grade you might as well trim it to look mint.image
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If your going to go with a authentic grade you might as well trim it to look mint.image >>

Except then the alteration would be noted and I'm not sure it could even be trimmed without causing chipping.