Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What variation is this 1993 Topps Series 1 box?

So I've come across something interesting. I've been collecting all things 1993 Topps for a while now. I thought I had one of each retail box out there...but then I found this new one that I can't place.

According to baseballcardpedia ( http://baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1993_Topps)

Wax: 36 packs per box, 15 cards per pack (MSRP: $0.69)
Cello: 24 packs per box, 31 cards per pack (MSRP: $1.39)
Rack: 24 packs per box, 45 cards per pack
Jumbo: 24 packs per box, 41 cards per pack (MSRP: $1.99)
Supermarket Jumbo: 74 cards per pack (MSRP: $2.99)

Well...I came across a "new" variation of the cello box apparently. I don't know what to make of it. I don't know how scarce it is. I don't know if it is even an officially released box, although all signs make it look legit.

Here is the original cello box:

Now here is the "new" cello box.

Any ideas what this variation is?

Comments

• Options
    RaulsmasterRaulsmaster Posts: 663 ✭✭
    that's the red variation lol. I have to admit, I'm pretty familiar w these and I have yet to see one like that as it was typically what series 2 looks like
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    I also have all of the other variations of 1993 series 1 packaging.....but I have never seen that one.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    When you say all things 1993 what do you include ? I do not collect boxes but from 1993 here is what I have for Topps:

-Pre Production set ( 9) that came in some late 1992 Factory sets
    -Pre production 9 card sheet ( different players than above)
    -Regular set
    -Traded set
    -Gold set
    -Black Gold set
    -Rockies Inaugural set
    -Marlins Inaugural set
    -Full Shot Super set
    -Golden Spikes card--Dreifort
    -Micro set
    -Topps Magazine Jumbo card set
    -
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Fairly certain they were retail boxes made right before release of series 2 with the intention of the store or hobby shop owners to hang them (holes punched for hangers) and not intended to be displayed in the box. I vaguely remember them being slightly higher than wax packs, maybe $0.89. They may well have been only released in certain regions. The only ones I have ever seen were at a flea market in Baltimore. At the time I didn't think anything of it and busted them all.
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When you say all things 1993 what do you include ? I do not collect boxes but from 1993 here is what I have for Topps:

-Pre Production set ( 9) that came in some late 1992 Factory sets
    -Pre production 9 card sheet ( different players than above)
    -Regular set
    -Traded set
    -Gold set
    -Black Gold set
    -Rockies Inaugural set
    -Marlins Inaugural set
    -Full Shot Super set
    -Golden Spikes card--Dreifort
    -Micro set
    -Topps Magazine Jumbo card set
    - >>

Well....ALL things 93 topps is stretching it a bit I suppose. Ive been accumulating unopened stuff from 1993 Topps Series 1 that I can grab for a reasonable price. Here is what I have:

-Complete set with the 9 pre-production cards - sealed
    -Micro set - sealed
    -wax box (multiple) - sealed
    -cello box (multiple) - sealed
    -cello box variation (just one) - box is NOT sealed, but packs are fine.
    -rack box (multiple) - sealed
    -rack case (3 rack box case) - sealed
    -jumbo box (just one) - BBCE wrapped
    -400 card "vending" box. The one with 36 gold cards as well - sealed

I also have a PSA 9 wax pack with Jeter on the back and THREE BBCE wrapped rack packs with Jeter on the back.

Oh, and I have a few 93 topps Jeter's in PSA 10, 9 and 8. All self submitted.

Im trying to find two more items to really round out my collection though. I REALLY want a sealed vending case and sealed wax box case for series 1. And if there is a 6-box rack case I'd want that too to complement my 3-box rack case.

it's fun trying to chase all the variations too. I still need to pick up the Rockies and Marlins inaugural season complete sets.

I used to have a LOT more unopened for this series. But over the past couple of years I must have been bored on several occasions because I've ripped probably 15 boxes including a couple of rack and cello boxes.
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Just got the box back from BBCE. Looks pretty good.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just saw this thread. I am adding to my unopened pack collection and it looks like I need one of these 18 card packs. I wonder if they produced an 18 card pack like this one from series 2?

I have a series 1 15 card wax pack, a 34 card cello, and a rack. I need a 41 card jumbo. Now I need this 18 card pack. For series 2, I need 34 card cello, but have the rest.

Shane

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Looks like something that may have been produced specifically for sale in Wal-Mart. During that time you'd often only find special "jumbo" packs at Wal-Mart of Topps, Bowman & Stadium Club

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com