Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Next new record price...Jordan RC of course..but $4176..??

No, thats not someone getting a steal at an o/c 10...thats for a PSA 9!!!

Closing price of 86 Jordan psa 9....$4176...looking at the bidders, looks legit and this wasn't by pwcc et al...although, wait, with the amount of feedback this seller has he must be big but i haven't gotten ads or communication from them.

i just sold 5 or 6 of the same MJ card for around 25-2600 each four weeks ago..since then MJs consistently have been mid 3s and now into the 4s.....this ones ok, l/r off a bit and t/b (?), so wasn't thinking about it at even at 3k....ive been a buyer but at 3500-4k? wow

I was gonna post for others to follow...i think its fun to watch these recent numbers and last minute, second bidding wars....but...

1..didnt want the ..."oh is it yours?" ..

but more importantly....
2. the debate where some potential buyers don't want it advertised and more eyes/bidders on their find..potentially costing them cash...which i can def respect...

Its difficult to hold on to mine in this environment..the rest i have, I'm keeping long term but 4k? Who here are now thinking of selling theirs? Im sure there are more in the pipeline..Wow again.

Congrats to the seller. Hopefully, the consignor.
Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    There was a 1986 Fleer Jordan PSA 9 that went for over $5k in the last Heritage auction.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    This card is the new " '52 Mantle "

will continue to rise in demand and price, plenty to go around, doesn't matter.

Also, its scary to think that the card is nearly 30 years old
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Heritage had an SGC 9 close for 7100. That was a little mind blowing.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    thing is I'm not familiar with sgc...can u give me whats comparable and prices to a 9 or 10? is a 9 a 9? and what are collectors looking for? i really haven't had anyone ask for sgc, just psa...id prob flip them into a psa...

i def agree its the next mantle ..just that it eased into the threes from the 2...now is exploding over the low to mid threes it seems..

im def a long term holder of MJ. just that i don't think u can play it like a stock..if u sell it at say 3500 you may never see a comparable one at 3300 to buy it back...

can anyone say tulips..in a sense
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    It's not a rare card, the pop report indicates that 2297 have been graded PSA 9. If and when the stock market experiences a pull back and/or the real estate market cools off, the high end card market will suffer as well.
  • Options
    Yep, there will inevitably be another slope (be it however many years from now). Yet there will inevitably be another rising period after that, when everything will move accordingly back up. And on and on it goes. Yet no one can say how hard or steep any pull back in the future will be.....or how long it will last.

Then, there is how one defines "high end." It can be argued that those in the market for T206 Wagners, T210 Jacksons, M101 Ruth Rookies, B.News Ruths, Cobb/with Cobb Backs, and the list goes on, have a level of wealth that insulates them from the short-term vagaries of the stock and real estate markets. In contrast, cards such as a condition-rare and condition -valuable PSA 9 Jordan RC, of which there are a few grand graded by PSA alone, such a card I agree is more tied to how good or bad the public at large is doing; in boom times or just healthy times, such treats will be pursued.

In general, it's kind of disappointing to see how much talk there is of card values, prices, prognostications on future values. It seems there are far fewer impassioned, true collectors out there, who buy a card with the intention of keeping it for the long haul. In contrast, it seems with such consistent talk of values that most people here are buying a card and already wondering what they can flip it for.....instead of having it bring them enjoyment by looking at it, appreciating its player subject or rarity of its good qualities for many years or decades, if not forever. Just an impression overall which I gather from absorbing the content here. Now of course, any possession owned could become sold at some future point, or become a cherished family heirloom. I opt for the latter when I purchase cards. Yet I am not naive, and should they be sold by some prodigal progeny of mine long after I am interred, I do hope that brat gets some money to buy whatever designer drug or flying car or contact lens iPhone is the thing du jour. I understand on some level we all like to know what we paid for something is its value or it has appreciated, in case life necessitates a sale, but truly, if a card is bought to be owned long haul, and is of a great player, and accurately graded, there are good odds that in a good economy one is not going to take a bath. So it would seem the true collectors are outnumbered by those focused more on the dollar value.
  • Options
    That's a pretty astute observation on the hobby, and from someone with only 12 posts, no less. You don't say much, but when you do, you have something to say. And I want a pair of those iPhone contact lenses too.
  • Options
    image Thanks. I am a looooong time reader of these boards, and also Net54. I have positively loved some of the content here, funnily enough, posts usually made by the same few board members.....with whom I seem to be on the same philosophical wavelength. Took the plunge back into the hobby with graded stuff this year, and am really loving it!