Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

**Nepal Earthquake Closed**

If interested in the auction, please see the new thread.
Thanks
Matt

Comments

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I will start bidding on lot 1 and 6. Minimum bids, for now.

Good luck. Seeing this on the news is heartbreaking.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very kind gesture. The footage was very sad.

I would like to add ONE 1984 Topps Wax Box. Will go nicely with the OPC box.

edit: took photo off - see OP.
    Mike
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Good initiative Shu, for perhaps the kindest and happiest people in the world. The news is only going to get worse over the coming days, unfortunately. 5k+ dead would not surprise at all. I've spent a lot of time in those valley villages, they're not equipped for something of this magnitude despite the warnings for decades. Any of the following are great places to donate:

Red Cross

UNICEF

Save the Children

International Rescue Committee

Edit to put this Maradona RC up:

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Agreed Miklia on all accounts. Thank you very much for your donation.
    Matt
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll raise the bid on the 84 OPC box to $50 and start the 84T box at $50 as well.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great gesture, Matt. I'll bid $75 on the 79 tray.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    70 on the OPC box and 150 on the maradona.
  • Options

<< <i>Great gesture, Matt. I'll bid $75 on the 79 tray. >>

Hiya Tim.

There's already a higher bid on this item:

High Bid is $100 by jfkheat
    Mike
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    **Lot 2. 1970 Tom Seaver PSA 8 - I'll bid $50 on this lot
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    *Lot 3. 1990 Michael Jordan PSA 10 (min bid $10) --- $10

**Lot 7. 4 1979/1980 Topps Basketball Packs purchased from bbce rips (min bid $25) --- 25
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    or246or246 Posts: 108 ✭✭
    I'll do $90 on lot #6, the 1984 OPC box
    Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME gesture. Prayers for all the people in Nepal.

MANTLE - $40.00

SEAVER - $50.00

'79 TRAY - $110.00
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    AGREED with all of the above. Thank you shu4040 for your kindness and willingness to offer these items in support. If its possible, I would like to donate (2) 1978 Topps Football Wax Packs, graded PSA 8. I will post pictures in a moment. For now, I will up the following bids:

Lot #2 1970 Seaver: $60
    Lot #3 1990 Jordan: $25
    Lot #5 1979 Topps Wax Tray: $135
    Lot #6 1984 OPC Wax Box: $115
    Lot #7 1979/80 Topps Basketball Packs: $40
  • Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for doing this.

If there's interest I'd be happy to donate a weekend rippers lot

Lots of things to hunt for:

86 Topps Vending Box
    87 Fleer Update Set
    90 UD Final Edition Set
    87 Jumbo Pak
    90 Jumbo Pak
    1 pack each 89 Topps, Fleer, Bowman, Donruss, and UD

I'll also cover shipping to the winner

Min bid: 20

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    I'll bid $65 on Lot 2
    and $25 on Lot 11
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go $57 on the Mantle.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to donate a quick lot. Here are 12 signed cards from Yankees players. Now, the Maris is a NM-MT 1961 Topps, but the signature is actually a stadium stamp (i.e., a collector circa 1961 sent the card to Maris for his autograph, and the signature was stamped on). All signatures guaranteed authentic. Shipping will be on me.

For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Issue - Kathmandu, Nepal and the near countryside was devastated by a severe 7.8 Earthquake today, April 25. Nepal is a 3rd world country whose government is not prepared to manage situations of this magnitude and the devastation and impact to life will be unlikely anything we can picture here. Help will be needed from NGOs and friendly countries to help the health of the country's citizens, and the recovery of the area.

The Auction - I picked a few items from my personal collection to auction. 100% of all proceeds will be donated at the auction close to a charity that has help on the ground and where the money can help the people of the country quickly (I'll research which group is best and post over the week whom I think is best to use the money appropriately. If anyone has any suggestions, please PM me). Once donated, I will submit the receipt to all who won auctions. I'll keep this thread active until Friday night May 1st at 8 pm. Please post your bids or PM me and I'll update the first post. Please add $3 for shipping for a card or maybe $8 for a box and I'll get them out to you. I appreciate everyone's consideration and PM with any questions.

image >>

That view of Ama Dablam is spectacular. Thoughts and prayers to everyone impacted by this tragedy. Our company had outfitted one of the American climbers killed and knew him well, so I'm especially bummed about that, especially being a climber of high-altitude peaks myself. It hits pretty close to home. RIP Dan. Loved your tenacity and spirit of adventure. We'll miss you.

• Options
    Thunderdan, sorry for the loss, seemed like a very solid, full of life guy as the reports start coming out.
  • Options
    This is NOT how relief funds work. Absolute zero dollars here will actually assist Nepal people. It's all a joke. Do you really think .... This....would be better than going through real channels ? Anything made here would simply be wasted on the person collecting, of who then spends money trying to get more.
    Wal
    Ugh. Stupid Americans. Hence the issues here

Wait. I get it. It's another opc.com group rip isn't it?

Sorry shu. You'd spend any money made here on gas and stuff to go give to help the people who are really giving relief.
  • Options
    Wow thirty two, I'm not going to get into this with you other than saying you are wrong and clearly have some misplaced anger issues. Ignoring from here on out
  • Options
    Shu. Objectives here glorious. Assist though no. Not being an ahole. Reality. Am sorry.
  • Options

<< <i>This is NOT how relief funds work. Absolute zero dollars here will actually assist Nepal people. It's all a joke. Do you really think .... This....would be better than going through real channels ? Anything made here would simply be wasted on the person collecting, of who then spends money trying to get more.
    Wal

Sorry shu. You'd spend any money made here on gas and stuff to go give to help the people who are really giving relief. >>

There is truth in some of what you are saying. However, I will not lay it out on here, because if you do, some will hate you for telling the truth and exposing the reality of how this stuff works(I learned from someone who used to be in a high level position for one of the world's most famous disaster relief organizations). Let's just say there are people who profit from these disasters, and they profit from tugging at good people's heart strings to make that money during a crisis.

Edit: I want to be clear that my comments were not directed at shu. I'm not saying he or anyone on here are doing anything wrong. I feel their hearts are in the right place.

If one is curious, research what happened in Haiti with disaster relief funds. That is one of the latest scandals.. It wasn't the first, and won't be the last.
  • Options

<< <i>This is NOT how relief funds work. Absolute zero dollars here will actually assist Nepal people. It's all a joke. Do you really think .... This....would be better than going through real channels ? Anything made here would simply be wasted on the person collecting, of who then spends money trying to get more.
    Wal

Sorry shu. You'd spend any money made here on gas and stuff to go give to help the people who are really giving relief. >>

Please allow me to translate from Trollese into english: 'so how does this work, exactly?'

Good question, thanks for asking as the OP was a bit unclear. Typically, CU charity auctions work by having members donate items, and other members bid on them ebay-style. Those giving the product are the ones making the actual donation, although sometimes items go for more than fair value as both the seller and buyer want to make a contribution. We do it this way in order to make it a bit more fun as well as to allow those who might not have extra cash on hand at the moment to be able to contribute to worthwhile causes.

So, where does the money go? Typically, the OP collects the cash and then sends it as a lump sum to the charity that has been selected. Or, members can do it individually and then once confirmation of payment is made to the donator, the latter ships out the merchandise. Nobody here is paying for Shu's trip to Nepal. However Shu, perhaps you should pick the charity now so that this aspect is a bit more clear, and focus on an international charity that most people here already know so as to maximize impact. ICRC is my suggestion, but any of the large humanitarian orgs is a good bet.

For those looking for updates on the quake (over 3,000 now confirmed dead, and tens to hundreds of thousands of houses destroyed) the BBC has rolling coverage.

Stan, trying to piggyback on someone trying to derail a charity thread is a new low, even for you.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Stan, trying to piggyback on someone trying to derail a charity thread is a new low, even for you. >>

Some of the most nasty natured PMs I have ever received on this forum were from you. Imagine that?

Like I said, if you tell people the truth about what happens with a good deal of relief money, they will hate the messenger instead of the people who are actually getting rich from deceiving it out of good hearted people who mean well. Meanwhile, the victims of these disasters receive the crumbs if they are lucky. It's a dirty game and breaks my heart. I'm not saying another word about it.
  • Options
    nobody here is donating to Wyclef Jean, Stan. Been all about giving to reputable international aid orgs from the start, the exact groups that are exactly who your 'friend' in the aid business would recommend too. But you keep playing that 'which charity thread would Jesus derail?' game. I had to turn off my pms entirely because I was tired of your stalking love letters. Please go back to the Paranoia Mind forum now.

Edit to ask in the spirit of being constructive and getting us back on track - which aid org do you recommend Stan, since you feel the Red Cross is so bad?
  • Options

<< <i>nobody here is donating to Wyclef Jean, Stan. Been all about giving to reputable international aid orgs from the start, the exact groups that are exactly who your 'friend' in the aid business would recommend too. But you keep playing that 'which charity thread would Jesus derail?' game. I had to turn off my pms entirely because I was tired of your stalking love letters. Please go back to the Paranoia Mind forum now. >>

Ok, since I am forced to say something about it, I will.

Correction; I asked you what your problem was and why you were so nasty, and you replied, "I'm just busting your blanks". I will let everyone figure out what that word to replace blanks is for themselves.

Here, in case anyone doubts what goes on with relief funds, I beg you to click the link below. It just might shock you.

Relief Fund Fraud And Corruption

• Options
    see previous q stan. there's also a massive difference between humanitarian emergency relief and development aid. I agree with you that the latter is very problematic, and has been harmful in many cases - even in Nepal. That's not what is being asked for here. Please recognize that.
  • Options

<< <i>see previous q stan. there's also a massive difference between humanitarian emergency relief and development aid. I agree with you that the latter is very problematic, and has been harmful in many cases - even in Nepal. That's not what is being asked for here. Please recognize that. >>

Oh, you mean like what my contact told me where $4-$5 cases of water are marked up to about $100 for example? You know who pockets the difference? It's not the victims of the disaster. Where there is money to be made, you can rest assured it's being done at the expense of people in dire need. Like I said, it breaks my heart.
  • Options
    how about this Stan. Since you're so tired of me constantly debunking and proving false all of your claims on the PM forum, I'll agree to never post there again if you make a $100 donation to the charity of your choice for Nepal quake relief. No miklia, no alts, no nothing. Do we have a deal?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>see previous q stan. there's also a massive difference between humanitarian emergency relief and development aid. I agree with you that the latter is very problematic, and has been harmful in many cases - even in Nepal. That's not what is being asked for here. Please recognize that. >>

Oh, you mean like what my contact told me where $4-$5 cases of water are marked up to about $100 for example? You know who pockets the difference? It's not the victims of the disaster. Where there is money to be made, you can rest assured it's being done at the expense of people in dire need. Like I said, it breaks my heart. >>

The Red Cross sells water now? News to me. You should post it to infowars.
  • Options

<< <i>how about this Stan. Since you're so tired of me constantly debunking and proving false all of your claims on the PM forum, I'll agree to never post there again if you make a $100 donation to the charity of your choice for Nepal quake relief. No miklia, no alts, no nothing. Do we have a deal? >>

1. You are not constantly debunking or proving anything is false. You saying this is like me asking you if you stopped beating your wife yet. You know there is no right answer to come out without looking bad.

2. I'm not playing your manipulative games. And since you keep trying to bring faith in to this in previous posts, I will say this; What I do to help others is between myself and God.
  • Options
    Stan, if you can't name a single worthwhile charity in the world, then this isn't the thread for you. I've created a specific miklia vendetta thread for you. Please stop posting on this one with misinformation about aid by linking to orgs based in different sectors that don't even accept donations in the first place. It harms aid efforts.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, this thread sure got derailed quickly. Hopefully the moderator will delete all of the useless messages including this one.
    James
  • Options

<< <i>WOW, this thread sure got derailed quickly. Hopefully the moderator will delete all of the useless messages including this one.
    James >>

+1. A new thread with the items for auction and clear notes on which charity etc. is a very, very good idea.
  • Options
    Hi all, give me a few hours to do research at work using charity navigator and other reputable sites. I am a lawyer and ensuring you i understand the risks of donating to nefarious charities. I will update later today.

Thanks
    Matt
  • Options

<< <i>Stan, if you can't name a single worthwhile charity in the world, then this isn't the thread for you. I've created a specific miklia vendetta thread for you. Please stop posting on this one with misinformation about aid by linking to orgs based in different sectors that don't even accept donations in the first place. It harms aid efforts. >>

Oh please.. It's all an act, miklia. I have seen you pull this on the boards before, and then PM me acting in a totally different manner.

If one doubts what I am saying, go to any search engine and type in Red Cross fraud corruption. It just might open some eyes. Now, some can bash away, but I have done all I can do to inform you. The rest is up to you to decide.

• Options

<< <i>Hi all, give me a few hours to do research at work using charity navigator and other reputable sites. I am a lawyer and ensuring you i understand the risks of donating to nefarious charities. I will update later today.

Thanks
    Matt >>

Thanks Matt. Sorry for trying to treat you respectfully on PM Stan. After what you've pulled here I promise it will never happen again.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi all, give me a few hours to do research at work using charity navigator and other reputable sites. I am a lawyer and ensuring you i understand the risks of donating to nefarious charities. I will update later today.

Thanks
    Matt >>

Thanks Matt. Sorry for trying to treat you respectfully on PM Stan. After what you've pulled here I promise it will never happen again. >>

Make all of the threats you want. All I am trying to do is warn good hearted people before they give up their hard earned money as to what goes on behind the scenes in many instances. What's worse? To try and warn people, or to remain silent and allow it to continue while people are unaware?

I'm done.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks
    Matt >>

Thanks Matt. Sorry for trying to treat you respectfully on PM Stan. After what you've pulled here I promise it will never happen again. >>

Make all of the threats you want. All I am trying to do is warn good hearted people before they give up their hard earned money as to what goes on behind the scenes in many instances. What's worse? To try and warn people, or to remain silent and allow it to continue while people are unaware?

I'm done. >>

I'm asking for the 3rd time Stan - what's your alternative then? 'do nothing and let them suffer' is not an alternative.
  • Options
    Morning everyone.

Samaritan's Purse - of Billy Graham has been around forever and my family has total trust and faith in their work as a Christian charity all over the world.

I understand some who may be incredulous about "entities" coming out of the woodwork to raise money with ridiculous administrative budgets but there's plenty of worldwide organizations that are reputable.

edit: I noticed that one of the ways to pay thru Samaritan's Purse is Paypal - couldn't be more convenient?
    Mike
  • Options
    canjondcanjond Posts: 422 ✭✭✭
    I'll throw a suggestion out there - Himalayan Trust; the charity founded by Edmund Hillary and focused exclusively on Nepal and the Himalayan region.

http://himalayantrust.org/

The website has details of earthquake relief efforts.
    For information on baseball-related cigarette and tobacco packs, visit www.baseballandtobacco.com.
  • Options
  • Options
    All, if interested in the auction, please see the new thread.

If interested in debating the morality of donating to the less fortunate, please continue in here.

Thanks
    Matt