Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2015 National time!!...post any advice/experience for CU members.

Hello gentlemen,

I've never been to Chicago for the National. This may be our guy or family trip for the year.

Im asking for any advice, tips and past experience to maximize my trip.

...where to stay..close hotels to the national and other attractions.
...what else to do...someone posted that the Cubs will be in town that Weds..I would def like to catch a game
...how close to Michigan ave, etc or not worth it
...where to eat...
...when to attend...is weds or thurs the first time for non dealers admittance.
...buy the VIP pass or day to day...what is the VIP pass
...best days for deals and what specific items etc
...how long is too long vs ideal 1 or 4 days.
...what to bring
...how the autograph thing works..or too complicated vs well run
...which dealers there/ ease of getting cards graded on site, exhibits, promotions etc
...best items to get there vs overpriced
...how are dealers mood..open to trade, bring my cards or don't bother.
...any close banks..atm limit may not be enough and don't want to carry around significant four figures.
...do most dealers take cc now?, prob not checks
...parking, rent or cab
...anything for family members to do or leave them at home?
...what do they have..i guess high end vintage..can i work on finishing a hand collated set...mint ungraded commons etc...game used memorabilia..unopened

thats off the top of my head....please post any advice and past experiences...it all would be so helpful
or add any questions I've forgotten.
thanks

P.S...who wants to split a room,,,promise you'll just look at the 52 mantle psa 8 I'm buying....kidding of course
...actually, i am looking for a couple things that have eluded me for yrs so i guess I'm going.
Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    The NSCC website has hotel information and special rates. There are restaurants nearby, mostly inside the hotels but many others within a fairly short ride. Wednesday is the first day of the show. A VIP pass will get you in a little early. Don't try to see it all in one day. It is bigger than you can possibly imagine and anything you can think of will be for sale somewhere. LOTS of vintage. Many dealers take credit cards but not all. Not many are likely to trade unless you have something they really need and are willing to give a major advantage. Setting up at the show is VERY expensive and they are there to make $.

This article has some other National tips in general.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    two words.

comfortable. shoes.
  • Two things I'll add, first - if you are looking for something you don't see that often, seriously consider buying it when you see it. I can't tell you how many times someone has come back to my table after thinking about buying a hard to find PSA 10 walking around to consider it and find it's gone after they don't see anything else in the room they wanted to fit that bill. Of course, this doesn't apply to items that are readily available.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Backpack and comfortable shoes. Buy the VIP pass and enjoy the promos. Sign up for Topps meet and greet. Also go over to net54 board and sign up for FREE dinner once they start the list. Also each day bring in with you a bottle of water and snacks so you don't have to stop shopping or pay crazy prices. Finally meet up at Baseball Card Exchange and drool over all the unopened and best deals on graded cards.
  • DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭

<< <i>two words.

comfortable. shoes. >>

Has anyone woke up the day of the convention and said to themselves "today I'm going to wear my uncomfortable shoes. I think those shoes improve my overall day."
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>two words.

comfortable. shoes. >>

Has anyone woke up the day of the convention and said to themselves "today I'm going to wear my uncomfortable shoes. I think those shoes improve my overall day." >>

quite the contrary. when i awoke that first morning of my very first National, which i worked as a dealer, my confidence soared as i donned my wool slacks and jacket which matched my shiny loafers perfectly.

it was in the high 90s with 200% humidity outdoors and the air conditioning was barely breathing inside the convention hall.

what a miserably wonderful introduction to such an amazing event! image
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    1) Wear comfortable shoes. I wore flip flops one time. Not a good idea. Granny/Grandy shoes are your best bet
    2) Don't rely on checks or CC. Bring some cash. Timing can sometimes be everything at the National. Plus cash generally lands you a better deal.
    3) Get to know some of the guys on CU and dealers as well. It makes the experience that much more enjoyable
    4) Never eat corndogs at a National, unless you want a one-way ticket to the o-ring doctor.

• Two Words "GIBSONS STEAKHOUSE"

• << <i>Two Words "GIBSONS STEAKHOUSE" >>

YASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    echo what every one else said.

Also have a list of what you are looking for. Prioritize it. As said when you see #1 or #2--get it. You may not see it again

You have to stop and chit chat with the dealers. Most are very nice. Some have neat items with equally cool stories about them. Sometimes I get caught up in the "gotta move on to find what I am looking for" mode

have a camera--iPhone or whatever--and ask if you can take pics--do not assume you can
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Michigan avenue is worth a trip, but it is a long trip from Rosewood. You can take the rail though. Same with Wrigley, a long trek and you would need to be scoping for tickets in advance. Parking is tough and expensive at both, and not cheap at the hotels if you are driving. Some hotels are next store or across street but likely filled by now. Some nearby hotels have shuttles. Someone mentioned Gibson 's steak house which is very close to the Convention Center. Pricey, but very good.

If you do head downtown, the Aquarium and The Navy Pier are worth a look. Maybe a water taxi ride on the lake and one of the observation decks, such as the old Sears Tower. Not sure what it is called now. A River boat tour downtown allows great views of all the interesting architecture .
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do all the dealers charge sales tax,are they required to?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just booked my ticket to my first National.

I'm staying in downtown Chicago, should I rent a car or take the train?
    Mike
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the blue line to Rosemont - almost out to OHare.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Two Words "GIBSONS STEAKHOUSE" >>

That place makes me happier than a tornado in a trailer park

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Take the blue line to Rosemont - almost out to OHare. >>

Thanks. The walk from the station doesn't look too bad. I may change my mind after having to haul a bunch of stuff back!
    Mike
  • sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Walk by the benchwarmers booth a few times.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be going with my wife to the National this year.

We will be staying at the Hilton/Rosemont and I picked up a VIP pass that gives free parking - so I think I'm good for the entire convention.

I hope to see some of you there. I will be getting with CPA Mike and see if there's a group getting together.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys! image
    Mike
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    anyone come up with time to meet up with everyone in general? i recall last year there was a time and place (think bbce booth...everyones going to end up there anyways. ha) scheduled but don't know how many actually made it.

as it gets closer, i hope more will chime in especially those who have been going for years...to save a lot of time and grief

i didn't think i would be able to attend but now may be able to justify the cost....because the one (actually two) rare cost prohibitive items i was going to track down at the national, i now possess...thanks to the two great guys....you know who u are....and I'm glad i know who u are image
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    There's a Giordano's in Rosemont.

Call ahead and order your pizza - it takes at least 30 minutes to cook your pizza.

Or you can get hammered while you wait - also an option.

Do explore the city, Chicago is beautiful.

Our daughter being born last fall put a crimp in my National plans for this year, but I do plan to attend the next National in Chicago.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    ugh,,,,thats an awesome way to open page 2 but frustrating....i miss the months i got to live downtown...

EAsports..thanks for posting the pic....brings back a lot of memories...i can just taste that deep dish
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Booked flight and hotel today. Looks like I'm about 3 miles away...ugh. Comfort Suites. Anyone else out that way?
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I started a separate thread about where we will be meeting etc.

I will be updating it at the end of the month