Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

5TH FLOOR SPORTS CARDS - BUYER BEWARE

I just wanted everyone to know about 5th Floor Sports Cards. I ordered 3 boxes of 2015 Topps Heritage form 5th Floor Sports Cards in late January. When March rolled around, I kept getting excuses about how the shipping department screwed up or you will receive tracking information tomorrow. I never received tracking information. I asked 3 times for tracking information, but there was always an excuse. They have no physical address or phone number on the web site. Communication is through email only. Luckily, I got my money refunded from PayPal. I believe this company never intended to sell any product. This is a lesson learned - always deal with a reputable dealer. I just wanted to warn everyone about ordering from 5th Floor Sports Cards.

Comments

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    His name is James Harden and he is out of Ohio. Big time crook.
  • Options
    I assume this was a pre-order which means the seller has to be an authorized dealer. To be an authorized dealer, the seller must have a physical address with a brick and mortar building. The lack of a noted address is always a big red flag.
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    I got caught not paying attention and pre-ordered Heritage from 5th Floor Sports Cards, trying to save $50.

Is it just credit card fraud?

I received a refund from PayPal as well.

How do you make money like that?

Does PayPal or the credit card company just eat the charge and refund the customer? Being a thief is a job too, I guess.

From PayPal site:

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *SPORTSGURUS".

Business Name: Sports Gurus (The recipient of this payment is Unverified)
    Email: sportsguru31@outlook.com

Email I received was from Mike Wilson

email: sales@5thfloorsports.com

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does PayPal or the credit card company just eat the charge and refund the customer? >>

They will go back to the merchant and ask for specific things like receipt of order, signature or CVV verification, proof of shipment/delivery. If they can't meet the requirements of their credit card processor... they will recoup the money from the merchant's bank account. They don't play around... once fraud is claimed/reported most of them begin holding all money from credit card sales in an escrow and will not release the money until the merchant has met the requirements laid out in their contract. There's always a chance that the crook emptied his account prior to the fraud being reported and the processor couldn't recoup their money-- which seems probable in this case, if the fraud was limited to pre-sales-- but that's definitely not the majority of fraud cases. This is from working in the credit card business for nearly 7 years.
  • Options

Thanks for the insight. Website is still up and running:

Beware of seller
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    baz518....
    ....do you mean by "empty their acct" is their paypal acct? say they do, can paypal access the sellers bank account or credit card that is tied to that sellers acct. Meaning..cant paypal just follow the money that the seller emptied (transferred) the money into? ex. their bank of america checking acct that they use to send and receive money with paypal.

i would think the seller signs some sort of agreement when they initially opened their acct with paypal. and get verified.

In short...I know, too late....can't paypal pull funds from the sellers bank acct or c.c.?

ugh..thanks for the heads up.Gives this whole hobby such a bad name.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked at their feedback on their website. I would be willing to bet that all of the feed back is made up and posted by the owners. Every person that "left" feedback is from a major city and each one put the complete name of the company, 5th Floor Sports Cards. If I am leaving feedback on a company's site I'm not spelling out the entire name of the company. I guess that no one from any smaller cities ever ordered from them. It just seems odd.
    James
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I dont think I would ever order from anyone who didnt give a physical address or a phone number.
  • Options

<< <i>I dont think I would ever order from anyone who didnt give a physical address or a phone number. >>

Does that make a difference? Just like the website, couldn't that be all made up as well? If I saw an address and phone number, would I call first or Google the location before placing an order?

Not sure.

My takeaway was stick with trusted dealers.

These guys just make it difficult for new vendors to enter the market.

And if PayPal is refunding money, it seems like a lot of work to steal money, must be volume.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>I just looked at their feedback on their website. I would be willing to bet that all of the feed back is made up and posted by the owners. Every person that "left" feedback is from a major city and each one put the complete name of the company, 5th Floor Sports Cards. If I am leaving feedback on a company's site I'm not spelling out the entire name of the company. I guess that no one from any smaller cities ever ordered from them. It just seems odd.
    James >>

I agree with you, that feedback is as fake as a $3 dollar bill.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options

Well I guess if he reads this forum, he'll get some good feedback on how to improve his scam.

Looks like he did add a lengthy "terms and conditions page"

And in hindsight, reading those customer reviews they are quite lame.

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I guess if he reads this forum, he'll get some good feedback on how to improve his scam.

Looks like he did add a lengthy "terms and conditions page"

And in hindsight, reading those customer reviews they are quite lame.

image >>

I looked up the sellers name and found some more stuff on him on the net 54 forum.
  • Options
    This guy makes a habit of creating fraudulent sites and stealing from consumers. His last site was surfcitysportscards. I can't believe he is still able to bilk people out of their money. He must drain his money and keep opening new bank accounts with each site.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    i have a feeling his customer reviews will change just a bit
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Nearly every customer who left feedback made the same grammatical error of adding a period after an exclamation mark.
  • Options

<< <i>i have a feeling his customer reviews will change just a bit >>

Probably not, if he wrote them all.

Oh, you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom...

I never got my order 5th Floor Sports Cards!.

WTF!.

Never ordering from you again!.

Steve
    Buffalo, NY
  • Options

Some good stuff on the terms and conditions page, here are some highlights:

PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS WEB SITE. YOUR USE OF THIS WEB SITE CONFIRMS YOUR UNCONDITIONAL ACCEPTANCE OF THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, DO NOT USE THIS WEB SITE.

Tampering with the site, misrepresenting the identity of a user, using buying agents or conducting fraudulent activities on the site are prohibited.

1. Products, Content and Specifications. By placing an order, you represent that the products ordered will be used only in a lawful manner. 5th Floor Sports Cards reserves the right to make changes to the Web Site and its Terms and Conditions of Use at any time.

5. Shipping Limitations. All orders placed on this site are subject to product availability and will be shipped according to 5th Floor Sports Cards shipping policy.

All purchases from this Web Site are made pursuant to a shipment contract. As a result, risk of loss and title for items purchased from this Web Site pass to you upon delivery of the items to the carrier.
    You are responsible for filing any claims with shipping carriers for damaged , and / or lost shipments.

9. Return Policy. All sales are final. Refunds/exchanges/cancellations are not accepted.

14. DISCLAIMERS. YOUR USE OF THIS SITE IS AT YOUR RISK.

15. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY. 5th Floor Sports Cards does not assume any responsibility, or will be liable, for any damages to, or any viruses that may infect, your computer, telecommunication equipment, or other property caused by or arising from your access to, use of, or browsing this Web Site, or your downloading of any information or materials from this Web Site.

17. Termination of Use. 5th Floor Sports Cards may suspend, or terminate your account or your use of this web site at any time, for any reason, or no reason. You are personally liable for any orders placed or charges incurred through your account prior to termination. We reserve the right to change, suspend, or discontinue all or any aspects of this Web Site at any time without notice.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I agree with you, that feedback is as fake as a $3 dollar bill. >>

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.