Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

please tell me if this project sounds impossible

there were 8 major league baseball games on mybirthday - august 23, 1960. i would like to make a collection of one ticket stub from eevry game played that day. does that sound dumb? will i die before i actually find a ticket from all 8 games?

Comments

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    Well it doesn't sound very thrilling to me
    How about topps football and baseball sets
    From 1960?
  • Options

<< <i>Well it doesn't sound very thrilling to me
    From 1960? >>

yeah i wasn't doing it for you. sorry if it came across that way. if i need a suggection for what to watch on tv tonight ill send you a private message.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    not dumb at all. i managed to find an item in a large collection several years ago associated with my b-day which is a game ball from a 1979 contest between the Reds & Astros at the Astrodome, sealed up in a plastic bag with a dated label.

thought it was pretty cool to find something like that, so it's been in my keeper box. image
  • Options
    thanks for the support. that sounds like a neat find.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    best of luck with the stubs. sounds like a good challenge to complete.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with collecting today, is that everyone thinks that vintage is the way to collect. I think your idea is absolutely amazing and I for one think you should give it a go.

I believe that Birthdays are special and they are Yours. I was born May 7th, 1968. Catfish Hunter threw a 4-0 complete game No-hitter the next day on May 8th, 1968 against the Minnesota Twins. How awesome is that? I missed being born on that day by 1 stinkin' day. BTW I share the same exact Birthday with Traci Lords!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>there were 8 major league baseball games on mybirthday - august 23, 1960. i would like to make a collection of one ticket stub from eevry game played that day. does that sound dumb? will i die before i actually find a ticket from all 8 games? >>

I'd say go for it because it is probably a lot easier than putting together a complete set of 1989 Topps Hockey in PSA 10 from self-subbed cards pulled from self-ripped packs...
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

From 1960? >>

if i need a suggection for what to watch on tv tonight. >>

My 600# Life would be my suggection
  • Options
    Not dumb at all - sounds like a cool idea.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I collect a lot of things from my birth year, but not much from my birthday, except the Dead show that was being played at Winterland, which was also a company I would later work for.

I really like your idea, and may need to look into what other events took place on mine.

I'm not generally a ticket guy, but I think your project sounds do-able.

All the best should you go for it.

Keep us posted.

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Challenging projects are the most satisfying.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Sounds like a fun idea! If it's something you think you would enjoy then go for it. Keep us informed and show us any tickets that you find.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a very cool idea. Just set a search on ebay.. I think it's achievable.. Just might take some time
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>there were 8 major league baseball games on mybirthday - august 23, 1960. i would like to make a collection of one ticket stub from eevry game played that day. does that sound dumb? will i die before i actually find a ticket from all 8 games? >>

I'd say go for it because it is probably a lot easier than putting together a complete set of 1989 Topps Hockey in PSA 10 from self-subbed cards pulled from self-ripped packs... >>

Oh my god, I actually clicked on this thread just to say that. You beat me to it!
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    yeah i wasn't doing it for you. sorry if it came across that way. if i need a suggection for what to watch on tv tonight ill send you a private message. >>

+1

Go for it!
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    What were the 8 games played and what was the attendance at the games?
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like a great idea that won't cost a whole lot but will take a lot of work.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Great idea, and a fun challenge that won't break the bank. Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>What were the 8 games played and what was the attendance at the games? >>

DET @BAL 5-3 (11) 16,665
    CLE @BOS 3-2 (10) 29,232
    CHW @NYY 5-1 43,275
    KCA @WSH 1-3 8,591

PIT @CHC 8-3 13,943
    MLN @LAD 7-0 31,681
    CIN @SFG 1-6 14,768
    PHI @STL 2-4 13,283
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Go for it

I have and still am looking for tickets/stubs where Gary Carter hit a homerun (324) and have made some nice progress. I still get a thrill when I come accross 1 -- the finds are further and further apart but that is what makes the chase fun. Once you find the first you will be hooked.

I have 2 guys that deal with used tickets that have found dozens for me -- later today I will PM you their contact info -- maybe they will be able to help

Good Luck
    Mike
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Definitely go for it.

This makes me want to get a stub from my b-day of 10-14-69. Mets win Game 3 of the series. Gentry (W), Palmer (L), Ryan (S)

And for the guy born on Traci Lords' bday, I would definitely go for some sort of reminder. We should all be so lucky, lol.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    I think it will be difficult but a lot of fun to track them all down. good luck. anything special happen in any of the games?

good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    JuggsJuggs Posts: 495
    Very cool idea.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Challenging projects are the most satisfying. >>

+1

I, too, like the idea. It will just take some time. I was born on a Saturday, so there are a lot of ticket stubs out there for me.

Best of luck and remember to share your pick-ups!

Patrick
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have an affinity for one of the teams on the list that played that day, I would focus on that game, and collect all things related to it. Stub, program, line-up card, audio recordings, baseball cards, newspaper clippings, player autos from the game, and you can make a framed display. The Cubs/Pirates would be pretty cool, you could have wrigley field as the backdrop to the display, with a plane flying a banner overhead carrying your birth announcement.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds pretty cool to me too! Would be fun chasing, and you'd have plenty of time to think of a cool way to display them all once complete.
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    If you turn on your PM I will send along those contacts
    Mike
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options

<< <i>If you turn on your PM I will send along those contacts
    Mike >>

done thank you
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    What a great idea. I just looked up my bday and Hank Aaron hit a HR that day. So cool. I am gonna look too.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    sounds like a very cool project. Did anything significant, historic happen in the games themselves? Besides the personal meaning.

Also, I'm sure the guy that does own these stubs and wants to find a buyer doesn't view this as a dumb project. Its these meaningful personal searches that helps keep this hobby alive.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

<< <i>Did anything significant, historic happen in the games themselves? >>

the only thing i could find is that lew burdette threw his 3rd straight shutout and this one was right after his no hitter. no nothing too extrordinary.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    Go for it. That Kansas City/Washington game is gonna be a tough one, but I think it's very doable, and with only 8 items it should be a fun chase.

Wish my birthday fell during baseball season!
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    This got me thinking. My birthday is 5/17/54 -Yes I'm ancient. Seems like there should be some good games on that date.
    I'll have to look them up.
    Good luck with your project!
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

<< <i>This got me thinking. My birthday is 5/17/54 -Yes I'm ancient! >>

Not as old as Doug! image
  • Options
    I love the idea and I am stealing it. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Options

<< <i>......I just looked up my bday and Hank Aaron hit a HR that day......... >>

Funny, me too. Number 470 of his career.

And the Mick went 2 for 3.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Options
    The more I think of it the cooler this is. Going to start doing the same on my bday.
    Not nearly as long ago as Dave's (Hi Dave!) or Dougs!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This got me thinking. My birthday is 5/17/54 -Yes I'm ancient! >>

Not as old as Doug! image >>

It's close Dan, but he has me by 4 years! LOL

I think the OP has started a new trend!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

From 1960? >>

Yeah, because nothing combines one's date of birth + enjoyment of a hobby quite like putting together a readily available set that was mass produced and assembled by thousands and thousands of others... but, hey, it was produced the same YEAR.

Not everyone is fixated with "investment potential" like you are, Ed. Some people actually view this as a hobby and many do so out of a personal love for the game or sense of nostalgia that is apparently lost on you?

Ed's response aside... I too think this idea is pretty unique, very do-able, and should be quite affordable. It will likely take some persistence and patience though. If you do decide to chase the project, please update this thread as you acquire them. I'm curious just how quickly eight 55 year old tickets will come together and what one proves to be the hardest to find.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

From 1960? >>

Yeah, because nothing combines one's date of birth + enjoyment of a hobby quite like putting together a readily available set that was mass produced and assembled by thousands and thousands of others... but, hey, it was produced the same YEAR.

Not everyone is fixated with "investment potential" like you are, Ed. Some people actually view this as a hobby and many do so out of a personal love for the game or sense of nostalgia that is apparently lost on you?

Ed's response aside... I too think this idea is pretty unique, very do-able, and should be quite affordable. It will likely take some persistence and patience though. If you do decide to chase the project, please update this thread as you acquire them. I'm curious just how quickly eight 55 year old tickets will come together and what one proves to be the hardest to find.

Snorto~ >>

+1

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The more I think of it the cooler this is. Going to start doing the same on my bday.
    Not nearly as long ago as Dave's (Hi Dave!) or Dougs! >>

Anthony, how are you ?
    I haven't been on here since 2012 Heritage , not going to stay away that long again.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?