Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

POLL!! Raw Card Experts needed!! Opinions requested on authenticity of a Mantle card!

Never done a poll before. Hopefully I can do it right.....wanted opinions on this Mantle card. Is this the real deal or one of the many worthless Mantle reprints out there?

Real
Fake
Don't Know/Can't tell

Comments

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Looks like its been soaked in 40 weight motor oil...Looks legit...but i will let others speak
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    A better scan or picture would help, but I'd say most likely real
    Matt

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    There is a pic of the card beside the flip so you can see the camera isn't grainy.

Do you own it, or are you looking to buy it?
    Matt

Neither....just having a debate. Keep it civil. lol
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    What's the history of the card? The psa label belongs to the card?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    The PSA flip is legit. Some people think the card is legit. Some people think the card is fake. A well known scam involves using PSA rejection flips with fake cards to try to entice someone to pay more for a fake card, thinking that it is real, with just a minor issue, and they can get it graded "AUTHENTIC" with another grading company. A fake card shouldn't be worth more than $5 as a novelty item only. The scam makes the fake worth considerably more than that.
  • Bobby, didn't you post this before?
    Nope. First time ever. I have never done a poll before...had to figure out how to get it going. Will be interesting to see the results.
    Gotcha. Looks real to me.
    Matt

• Why ask for opinions when in this thread you said it was an obvious fake? image
    All your money won't another minute buy.
    Hopefully everyone knows what a real one looks like....there are plenty on Ebay, so I don't want to bombard the thread with pics....just the card in question.
  • Oh, my bad then. For some reason, this seemed familiar. I must be wrong. Looks real to me.

• << <i>Why ask for opinions when in this thread you said it was an obvious fake? image >>

Ah, yes!

"Nope."?

<< <i>Why ask for opinions when in this thread you said it was an obvious fake? >>

Wanted to figure out how to get the poll going. Would be fun for future debates. Maybe keep things more civil.
    Keep the votes coming in! This is a tough one so far! I guess that is why 3rd party graders stay in business. Hard to tell for sure.
  • The old thread looks pretty civil to me.
    It was....Im talking about keeping DEBATE threads civil. The old thread only had one other person chime in. Not enough input.
  • But if you know already, why is it a question? You don't really have a question.
    It is a poll......to get votes to see what people think. I also have it posted on Net54. The results are vastly different over there, but we are just getting started. Let's let more time sink in before we declare a winner.
  • Im not following. Why do you need a poll if you already proclaimed it fake in a previous thread? Are you saying that you cant tell anymore?
    I did the poll cause I think it will be FUN! You know...FUN? You remember that word?? The interesting thing is that, over on Net54, the results are quite the opposite to what they are over here.
  • This looks like unnecessary self-vindication.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    My gut says no f-ing way. Bogus.
    interesting so far...keep 'em coming!
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>interesting so far...keep 'em coming! >>

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
    LOL...like I said...quite the opposite over on NEt54, where the majority of people think the card is fake.....Now that I know how to do polls, we can do this again in the future. This time with the cards and rejection flips already in my possession!! We can see how the results fare, and the next time, I will know the correct answer, as I will have the items in hand.
  • What's the vote count there?
    "Well....To be quite frank, I respect the opinions over here a lot more than I do over there. There seems to be more knowledgeable collectors over here than over there. I have a feeling some people are voting yes on the poll due to the fact that they don't like me, as opposed to actually rendering a true opinion on the card. I just have the image to go on. I do not own the card, nor am I trying to buy it. It has the same "Xeroxed" appearance as the numerous fake cards I have seen on Etsy. I was bringing to light the appearance of a scam that has been ongoing, and am actually quite shocked that some of the people think the card is real."

Really?

Some responses over there:

"I'm certainly not an expert grader/authenticator but it just doesn't look right."
    "My opinion isn't worth much on post-war, but it just doesn't look right to me"
    "The card looks real to me. Perhaps it was soaked in a chemical (to remove the tape?) that washed out the colors."

The responses do not look vastly different or quite opposite.

Matt

<< <i>What's the vote count there? >>

6 fakes, 1 real, and 1=Deemed Altered to not have to give an opinion.

<< <i>The responses do not look vastly different or quite opposite >>

Here is 6 real, 3 fake. Over there is 6 fake, 1 real.
    I don't know how to do the poll over there, but it is quite interesting to see the results so far. Like I said, I have some rejection flips, and it will be interesting to do these kind of polls in the future. I also have the real cards, and will look into getting some reprints to see if I can fool the experts. Thanks for playing!
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    this seems to be more in need of a raw sewage expert.

<< <i>this seems to be more in need of a raw sewage expert. >>

LOL!! Are you applying?
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    thanks for playing. image
    Hey...we can have some fun with this! And to think...I have been throwing mine away!
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few bowmans that have backs that look like this card.

Looks real to me.

However I cannot say 100%

Like u said......no reason to grade it unless asking only for an A
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

• << <i>It is a poll......to get votes to see what people think.............. >>

But you said it was 100% fake. Why do you care what anyone else thinks?

<< <i>But you said it was 100% fake. Why do you care what anyone else thinks? >>

I gave my opinion. Now we are polling. For fun. To get opinions. Why are you being so argumentative? Who are you really?
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    I guess I don't understand the point of this.

You said already you thought it was a fake - fine. There are others who said they thought it was real - fine as well.

How does this ultimately get resolved to figure out who's right or wrong?
    It doesn't. It is just a poll. Kinda like voting for president. You don't HAVE to vote....but don't it make you feel good making your voice heard?? lol.....or not.......
    ok - i voted

now what?
    lol.....nothing......Sorry.......hey...this is my first poll.......maybe prizes will be awarded in the future :-p
    In the future I will be in possession of all the items, so I will 100% know the correct answer. This time we are just getting opinions. Hey...this one was easy. I could have thrown a Michael Jordan rookie out there!
    ok - still don't really understand the plan here, but good luck with it

as long as you're happy it will be a success
  • Real

• << <i>I gave my opinion. Now we are polling. For fun. To get opinions. Why are you being so argumentative? Who are you really? >>

You consider people who ask you questions to be argumentative? I've never met anyone who believed that everything they say should not be questioned.

for the Saturday crew.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea about the card but at least one person sure is trying to get you to grab the bait.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
    That person is an alt. I'm not going to argue with anyone....I'm sorry.