Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Bronko Nagurski Autographed wrestling postcard

I picked this up last week and thought it was cool to have a wrestling item signed by Bronko Nagurski.

I have had this wrestling card for a while and it is insanely tough to find this in top condition.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    cool, I never knew he wrestled

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Cool stuff. Do you know where that b&w photo is from?
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool stuff. Do you know where that b&w photo is from? >>

I have no idea, but perhaps some type of program......
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how small the guy in the headlock must've been. Nagurski wasn't really that big (6' 1" - 6' 2" and pushing 225#) or about the same size as Adrian Peterson...
  • Options
    I was wondering the same thing when I was looking at this photo. I have no idea who this other wrestler is.
  • Options
    My PSA 6 had decent centering but this was a cleaner card overall so I decided it should reside in my collection. It is a Pop 2 and only one higher.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!

Cool to see one in such nice shape.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice score on the Nagurski PSA 7. I love the size difference of the other wrestler he has in a head lock on your cut auto. Nagurski looks like a giant compared to his opponent. Is he that big or is the other wrestler that small?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice score on the Nagurski PSA 7. I love the size difference of the other wrestler he has in a head lock on your cut auto. Nagurski looks like a giant compared to his opponent. Is he that big or is the other wrestler that small? >>

If Bronko was 6'1 and 225 lbs then this other wrestler must have practically been a midget. It does make Nagurski look super imposing though.
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Nice card.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Options
    I thought I would put this one next to my autograph and my slabbed wrestling Parkhurst card.........

• Options
    That's a great card. Did you sell your 6 Parkie when you got the 7 ?
  • Options
    I did a trade and paid some cash for the 7........
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    That Quaker is really cool. Congrats.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Sweet gem brother, congrats!
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

<< <i>That Quaker is really cool. Congrats. >>

He doesn't have too many cards and it is a lot cheaper than the Chicle, LOL.
  • Options
    That's awesome! I never knew he had wrestling cards!
  • Options

<< <i>That's awesome! I never knew he had wrestling cards! >>

He just has the one wrestling card from Parkhurst from 1955 but his dixie lid from 1938 mentions that he was a world champion wrestler too. There is a low grade Parkhurst on ebay now. They are not too easy to find, so someone will snatch that low grade Parkie to put in the collection.
  • Options
    Amazingly enough a Bronko PSA 6 wrestling card has hit ebay too........
  • Options
    Tough to find a high grade slabbed item of these out there as they were the lid of ice cream cups. There are some variations to these with the ice cream lids, but the recognizable variation by PSA is that there are two different sizes to them. One is small and will fit into a standard card holder and the other is large and will have to be in a tallboy holder. I do like the fact that this item of Nagurski says "Champion Wrestler" on it.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    That is a great item! Congrats and thanks for sharing. I've been enjoying this thread.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    That is such a cool, old, oddball item!! I too like that it mentions both football and wrestling. Awesome piece!
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    That's a great item. Anymore wrestlers in the set?
  • Options

<< <i>That's a great item. Anymore wrestlers in the set? >>

Nope he is the only one......
  • Options
    This is the large ice cream lid of Bronko that has to be housed in a tallboy holder. Despite the wrinkling near the edge, I am happy to add this 1938 item of Nagurski into my collection. I do like this item as it does talk about his wrestling in addition to his football career. Now I just have to get this in a PSA slab in the near future.

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    crazy that a lil kid back in 1938, bought an ice cream, ripped it open, probably licked the lid but instead of throwing it away, stuck it in his pocket and stashed it away.

very cool piece, rob...
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    That is just plain AWESOME!!
  • Options

<< <i>crazy that a lil kid back in 1938, bought an ice cream, ripped it open, probably licked the lid but instead of throwing it away, stuck it in his pocket and stashed it away.

very cool piece, rob... >>

I can't imagine that many of them out there in totality so that is why I am fine with a lower grade example. I am just happy to own it period. Eventually I may look to upgrade.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    if ya do, lemme know. i'd be interested in one in the standard sized holder... ; )
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>cool, I never knew he wrestled

IMF >>

Was actually world heavyweight champion for about a year and a half. Big star in the wrestling ring.

The guy in the headlock sort of resembles Jim Londos but I'm not certain. I'm terrible on the pre-war wrestling guys image
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Thats a great piece!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Thats a great piece! >>

I'll have another addition to add here soon! image
  • Options
    Added this 1936 Diamond Matchbook....there are a few other items I am looking to get but progress will be quite slow.

• Options
    I just got this 1937 Kellogg Pep Panel in the mail......think this may be a good candidate to separate and take my chance of grading the Nagurski single due to the crimping at the top of the panel.

• Options
    Bottom right hand corner has a little bump but other than that I like a lot about his item. The highest graded to date is a PSA 5.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bottom right hand corner has a little bump but other than that I like a lot about his item. The highest graded to date is a PSA 5. >>

Love those Pep panels! I think you did the right thing by separating the Nagurski, but do you think it will get an ST qualifier for the lower left?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bottom right hand corner has a little bump but other than that I like a lot about his item. The highest graded to date is a PSA 5. >>

Love those Pep panels! I think you did the right thing by separating the Nagurski, but do you think it will get an ST qualifier for the lower left? >>

No I do not think that it will get a qualifier. There is a golfer on the panel too. Harry Cooper who supposedly is one of the best golfers to never win a major. That should be on the oddball list of golf cards.
  • Options
    I added two more lids to the collection yesterday. I think the small lid will be an improvement from the PSA 4 that I have in my collection and it is really interesting on the large lid that I acquired. It still has the protective wax coating on it that has never been removed. I am under the assumption that the image of the athlete was facing down toward the ice cream and this piece of coating protected the image from the ice cream itself. The backside of these lids state the type of ice cream etc that you would expect to see on the top of ice cream container if it was sitting in a freezer. I think it would be really cool if PSA could grade this item with the original covering on it as I imagine that it is really, really rare now days to find this item in this state. I am showing the large lid that I had as a comparison that was featured in an earlier post.

• Options
    I had a voucher to use and I submitted both the large lids (with and without the coating) and the 1936 matchbook as I could submit three items. I will now be endlessly hitting the refresh button to see my grades. The cards logged today.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Very sweet thread. I wanted to share a scan of the signed 54 Quaker Sports Oddities that I just purchased off E-Bay. I absolutely love this card.

Rgs,

Greg M.

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I almost pulled the trigger on that card but decided to pass on it. I am glad that you ended up with it.
  • Options
    There was a glitch when I posted the first time.....Looks like it ended up going through.
  • Options
    PSA sent me a voucher and thought I would cash them in and decided that Bronko would be a good place to go with them. I decided to get my matchbook graded and I am glad that I did. I also got both of the large lids graded by PSA. I had the one with the coating on front graded which is really nice on the front but does have some staining on the back and then the other one with the dings near the top without the coating.

1 1 24576177 VERY GOOD 3 1936 Diamond Matchbooks Bronko Nagurski Card POP 3 with NONE HIGHER
    2 1 24576178 VERY GOOD 3 1938 Dixie Lids Bronko Nagurski Large Card
    3 1 24576179 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5 1938 Dixie Lids Bronko Nagurski Large Card
    Total Items: 3
    Date Received: 7/8/2015
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: OK
  • Options
    I am very happy to have this in a slab. There are none higher and only five graded to date.

• Options
    I was really hoping to hit PSA 5s on these as I have the small Dixie Lid in a PSA 4 already and then the highest graded Pep Stamp is a PSA 5 so I was hoping to have the highest graded of that issue. I obviously fell a bit short, but am not complaining on having this stamp in a PSA 4. I should have these back on Saturday. I am on the hunt for a few more Nagurski items, although at this point it is a real good challenge to find what I am looking for.

7 1 24524863 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1937 Kellogg's Pep Sports Stamps Bronko Nagurski Card
    8 1 24524864 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1938 Dixie Lids Bronko Nagurski Small Card
  • Options
    I think I could get higher than a 4 on a resub but I will take it for now.........

• Options
    So now that you have so many of these cool items in slabs, are you doing a bronko registry?
  • Options

<< <i>So now that you have so many of these cool items in slabs, are you doing a bronko registry? >>

If you look at the set requests on the set registry you will find your answer! image

Amazingly enough there is not a set registry of Bronko to date.
  • Options
    I feel like that list never moves. I requested a cappelletti basic set months ago and it's nowhere near the top.