Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can I please get some opinions on this 1952 Topps Mays (already purchased and in hand)

I recently purchased this card as a gift for my father. I am by no means an expert in vintage cards and I probably should have asked for opinions prior to purchasing, but found myself in a bit of a time crunch and feeling impulsive. I realize that this is an extremely low grade card and since it is encapsulated, it should be good to go, but seeing some of the fraud and red flag posts on this board over the years has me skeptical about pretty much everything. Not that that is a bad thing. As mentioned, I already purchased this and am not concerned about whether I got a good deal or not. However, I was wondering if some of the experts on the board could weigh in as to whether the card looks legit. I don't have any specific concerns since I don't know enough to even begin. Just curious for a little piece of mind. Also, sorry for the bad phone pics and any issues with the size/link - this is my first time posting a link so I hope I got it right. I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer. Happy Holidays!

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    First thing to do would be to make the pic size more appropriate. It's way too large.
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Ok, sorry. I will try to fix it. Just do a link to the hosting site maybe?
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Card looks appropriate for the grade. Holder appears intact and un-altered. I would say you picked a nice card for your father. Hope he enjoys it.

• Options

<< <i>Ok, sorry. I will try to fix it. Just do a link to the hosting site maybe? >>

You can use photoshop or whatever program you have to resize it.

No Prob. I wasn't complaining about the size. I just figured you would get more replies if guys can see the card in one piece rather than scrolling left to right
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, sorry. I will try to fix it. Just do a link to the hosting site maybe? >>

Host it on imgur.com and choose "edit" when you upload.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    I think you did a great job. The slab hasn't been tampered with and I actually think that card wouldn't look out of place in a "3" holder. Nice job.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much! I think I spent too much time staring at it last night and started second guessing myself. Can't wait to give it to him.

Have a great rest of your weekend.
  • Options
    I use MS Paint. Click "resize" and change by percentage.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 2 IMO.

Congratulations on your pickup and Merry Christmas.
    Mike
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I would take corner wear over a bunch of creases any day on a 2 grade. I have this card in a 3 and am very happy with it. You did well and I'm sure your dad will be thrilled. Merry Christmas. Doug
  • Options
    Nice job Mike! Great card FB.
  • Options
    Looks good. I see no issues. Nice card, thanks for posting!
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice card. Great gift. I'm sure it'll be a well loved surprise.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Just saw the thread on a desktop computer and i see the issue with the picture. Holy smokes that came out huge. For some reason it doesn't look as bad on my phone. My apologies.

My dad collected from 1959 on, so I haven't been exposed to many cards before that time frame. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that even after decades of collecting myself, I did not know until receiving this card that the first few years of Topps cards are actually slightly larger than "standard" sizes. The printing quality is really impressive as well. May be time to expand my collecting horizons a bit...

Thanks again for all of the comments and opinions. This remains one of my favorite places on the internet.
  • Options
    FirstBeard,

As others have said, the card looks fine/legit. He must be a great dad to have a son that thinks enough of him to do something so nice.

Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    sweet card - great gift
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Card looks legit ... and also nice for a "2". I know one dad that is going to like his present this year! Let us know dad's reaction after he opens it.

Edited to see if I could make it just a bit smaller than Mike did.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Great looking card for a PSA 2.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That my friends is filed under "A well loved card"

Lots of character to that piece of cardboard, absolutely a great pick up, hope your dad enjoys it ( Im sure he will )