Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2012/13 Basketball Suggestions

Hi All,

I picked up some cheap wax to open during the Thanksgiving weekend and had a blast. It has now wet my appetite to dabble some more.

I'm a baseball guy, but I enjoy basketball as well and thought that the 2012/13 year would be fun because of the rookie class. It looks like D&A has some discounted boxes, so I was hoping to get some opinions on what you would pick between each of these (going from least expensive to more expensive):

Panini (the regular set)
Panini Brilliance
Panini Hoops

I purposely excluded the issues that only have a handful of packs because, afterall, I want to open more packs than less. image

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• The years all blend together for me. Obviously anthony davis is the huge RC to chase. Who else was in that draft class?
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The years all blend together for me. Obviously anthony davis is the huge RC to chase. Who else was in that draft class? >>

Damian Lillard is the other star in this class. They also advertise that it's Kyrie Irving's rookie, but I think his rookie year was technically the year before. I don't know if it's because there wasn't a product with his rookie in it the year prior?
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2012-13 brought me back in to collecting basketball(which I had not done since 1998). Because of the lockout, the releases have "RCs" of both 2011 & 2012 NBA draft players. If you are looking for a great variety of different kinds of inserts and rookies I would go with Panini Marquee. I fully believe you should collect what YOU like, though. If you are buying boxes, you will obviously get more base cards than anything so I recommend going on a site like Comc or Ebay and look at the designs from the releases. Keep us updated on your progress! image
  • I like Hoops--some inserts are rarer than others. Not a fan of base Panini that year.

<< <i>I like Hoops--some inserts are rarer than others. Not a fan of base Panini that year. >>

I do like the look of the base Panini over Hoops, but it would seem your opinion is shared by more people. The boxes of base have been inching down since Black Friday. Hoops is not that much more in price, but D&A has the base Panini on clearance.

Thanks, Hallco - I checked out Marquee and I do like the design of the base. I'm going to add that to consideration!
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Great to see someone else on the forum connecting with 2012/13 basketball. I think it has some great potential (much like it's football counterpart). As Hallco posted, because of the lockout, 2012-13 has a double rookie class so it technically has the RC's of Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson and Kahwi Leonard. Davis has the potential to be generationally great and the others I listed should all be all stars at some point in their career.

I purchased some boxes from DA Cardworld during Black Friday to rip with my son. I have also previously ripped other boxes. 2012 is my go to year for buying modern boxes because of the rookie class (although I may start looking into 2008 since I believe it has Blake Griffin, Steph Curry and James Harden RC's!).

So far my son and I have ripped hobby boxes of: Regular Panini, Brilliance, Elite (the one in the red box), Contenders and Crusade. During the Black Friday sale, I also picked up some boxes of Limited and Timeless Treasures. These are both 1 pack boxes and I am like you, when I rip I prefer to have more than 7 or 10 cards to show for it but I got caught up in Black Friday crazinessimage.

Now, my rankings may be biased by what I have actually hit in the boxes, but I generally rank my rips based on these parameters: 1. I like attractive insert sets, autos, and jersey cards, 2. I want a nice design for the base set, 3. please give me some value back on the box. Of the boxes I ripped, this is how I would rank them and why:

1. Elite--I really like the design of this set. If you aren't into shiny sets this may not be for you, but I think the base set has a nice clean design, kind of reminds me of Topps Chrome. The inserts are also nicely designed (I am a sucker for die-cuts and acetate cards!). Even if you miss on a hot auto card there is a chance you can pull a numbered insert to save your rip. I am probably biased on this product as I purchased a few slots in case breaks and got an Anthony Davis Elite Auto card and my son and I pulled a Stephen Curry (his favorite player) Turn of The Century Auto card numbered to 25. Nevertheless, bias aside it is a fun rip with all the different insert possibilities and nice design.

2. Crusade--This box doesn't exactly leave you with a ton of cards, I believe it was 6 packs and 5 cards per pack. But I believe there are 2 or 3 autographs/box and there is one special designed Crusade insert card per pack. This Crusade insert set has various colors (kind of like Chrome refractors) with different colors numbered differently. I really like the clean design of the regular set and I think the Crusade inserts are really nice looking. In my box, the autographs were relatively lame but I was saved by hitting a Kahwi Leonard Crusade insert numbered to 25.

3. Contenders and Brilliance (tie)--Contenders offers 4 autos/box and I like the design of the base set. Not crazy about the inserts, they are pretty bland looking. The best insert set they have is the ROY die cut insert set (I told you I am a sucker for die cuts!) and even that one doesn't exactly blow you away from a looks standpoint. Brilliance is a nice cheap rip that offers 2 autos and a jersey card for about $30 which is a decent deal. Only thing holding this set back for me anyway is the design. Not crazy about the base design and the main insert set looks like the base design so it is sometimes hard to tell what is an insert and not. These two are decent values for breaks though as you get a number of autographs and jersey cards and you can put together a set (if you like that sort of thing, which I do). I believe I opened one box of brilliance and I got lucky and hit a Kareem Autograph numbered to 199. In the box of Contenders I opened I pretty much got nothing decent.

5. regular Panini is last in my book. The base design isn't bad but it's not great either. Inserts aren't particularly special. You do get 2 autos and a jersey card for about $24 so there is definitely value there. I opened 2 boxes and did well on my jerseys (Kobe and Joakim Noah) but not so hot on my autos. In two boxes I got the appropriate number of 4 autos, unfortunately both boxes were of the same players! I got two Bernard James autos (same card both times) and two Kyle Singler autos (at least they were two different autos with one being a decent looking Rated Rookie auto). Oh yeah, I am a sucker for Rated Rookie cards. Loved the Rated Rookies cards on the old school Donruss sets as well as the Topps Future Stars subsets; and I love that Panini brought it back. Just wish I got an Anthony Davis RR instead of Kyle Singler, lol.

This post is already too long (this happens when someone brings up basketball on this forum!). Good luck with whatever you decide. I agree about Marquee, I like the design of that set and I actually think of the mid-priced boxes that would be the one I would go for. I actually think Marquee, Elite and Crusade are all pretty good breaks for their cost. I would recommend Brilliance for a lower priced box ahead of regular Panini. I would probably stay away from Contenders at the price it is at. I am also not a big fan of Prestige, Threads or Past and Present.
    Steve

<< <i>Great to see someone else on the forum connecting with 2012/13 basketball. I think it has some great potential (much like it's football counterpart). As Hallco posted, because of the lockout, 2012-13 has a double rookie class so it technically has the RC's of Anthony Davis, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson and Kahwi Leonard. Davis has the potential to be generationally great and the others I listed should all be all stars at some point in their career.

I purchased some boxes from DA Cardworld during Black Friday to rip with my son. I have also previously ripped other boxes. 2012 is my go to year for buying modern boxes because of the rookie class (although I may start looking into 2008 since I believe it has Blake Griffin, Steph Curry and James Harden RC's!).

So far my son and I have ripped hobby boxes of: Regular Panini, Brilliance, Elite (the one in the red box), Contenders and Crusade. During the Black Friday sale, I also picked up some boxes of Limited and Timeless Treasures. These are both 1 pack boxes and I am like you, when I rip I prefer to have more than 7 or 10 cards to show for it but I got caught up in Black Friday crazinessimage.

Now, my rankings may be biased by what I have actually hit in the boxes, but I generally rank my rips based on these parameters: 1. I like attractive insert sets, autos, and jersey cards, 2. I want a nice design for the base set, 3. please give me some value back on the box. Of the boxes I ripped, this is how I would rank them and why:

1. Elite--I really like the design of this set. If you aren't into shiny sets this may not be for you, but I think the base set has a nice clean design, kind of reminds me of Topps Chrome. The inserts are also nicely designed (I am a sucker for die-cuts and acetate cards!). Even if you miss on a hot auto card there is a chance you can pull a numbered insert to save your rip. I am probably biased on this product as I purchased a few slots in case breaks and got an Anthony Davis Elite Auto card and my son and I pulled a Stephen Curry (his favorite player) Turn of The Century Auto card numbered to 25. Nevertheless, bias aside it is a fun rip with all the different insert possibilities and nice design.

2. Crusade--This box doesn't exactly leave you with a ton of cards, I believe it was 6 packs and 5 cards per pack. But I believe there are 2 or 3 autographs/box and there is one special designed Crusade insert card per pack. This Crusade insert set has various colors (kind of like Chrome refractors) with different colors numbered differently. I really like the clean design of the regular set and I think the Crusade inserts are really nice looking. In my box, the autographs were relatively lame but I was saved by hitting a Kahwi Leonard Crusade insert numbered to 25.

3. Contenders and Brilliance (tie)--Contenders offers 4 autos/box and I like the design of the base set. Not crazy about the inserts, they are pretty bland looking. The best insert set they have is the ROY die cut insert set (I told you I am a sucker for die cuts!) and even that one doesn't exactly blow you away from a looks standpoint. Brilliance is a nice cheap rip that offers 2 autos and a jersey card for about $30 which is a decent deal. Only thing holding this set back for me anyway is the design. Not crazy about the base design and the main insert set looks like the base design so it is sometimes hard to tell what is an insert and not. These two are decent values for breaks though as you get a number of autographs and jersey cards and you can put together a set (if you like that sort of thing, which I do). I believe I opened one box of brilliance and I got lucky and hit a Kareem Autograph numbered to 199. In the box of Contenders I opened I pretty much got nothing decent.

5. regular Panini is last in my book. The base design isn't bad but it's not great either. Inserts aren't particularly special. You do get 2 autos and a jersey card for about $24 so there is definitely value there. I opened 2 boxes and did well on my jerseys (Kobe and Joakim Noah) but not so hot on my autos. In two boxes I got the appropriate number of 4 autos, unfortunately both boxes were of the same players! I got two Bernard James autos (same card both times) and two Kyle Singler autos (at least they were two different autos with one being a decent looking Rated Rookie auto). Oh yeah, I am a sucker for Rated Rookie cards. Loved the Rated Rookies cards on the old school Donruss sets as well as the Topps Future Stars subsets; and I love that Panini brought it back. Just wish I got an Anthony Davis RR instead of Kyle Singler, lol.

This post is already too long (this happens when someone brings up basketball on this forum!). Good luck with whatever you decide. I agree about Marquee, I like the design of that set and I actually think of the mid-priced boxes that would be the one I would go for. I actually think Marquee, Elite and Crusade are all pretty good breaks for their cost. I would recommend Brilliance for a lower priced box ahead of regular Panini. I would probably stay away from Contenders at the price it is at. I am also not a big fan of Prestige, Threads or Past and Present. >>

Steve, awesome post. Thank you very much!

If and when I rip, I like to be able to try to assemble a set and I like to pull autographs. Jersey cards do nothing for me. It had been a long time since I ripped a few boxes and had a blast. Ripping is a powerful drug...

I got a box of regular Panini and a box of Hoops over Black Friday. The regular Panini yielded a Tyler Zeller rated rookie auto and a redemption card. I can't think of who the redemption was for, but it wasn't a big name and it expired about three months ago. I'm going contact them to see if they would be willing to honor the redemption. Generally speaking, I'm concerned that the regular Panini has a lot of redemptions that are already expired, so I'm inclined to stay away. I do like the base design, though - it's somewhat reminiscent of the 1989 Hoops set, but more colorful.

In the Hoops box, I got an Iman Shumpert auto and a Kahwi Leonard auto, which was pretty cool. I also got a Lebron glossy parallel (which probably isn't worth anything, but thought was a lucky pull, considering the odds). I actually like that there are coach cards in the Hoops set (the expression on the Popovich card is hilarious), but the design is kind of boring.

What's nice about the Hoops and regular Panini is that they aren't glossy, so they're ideal for sending duplicates TTM for autos. I think the coaches have pretty good return rates TTM, so that gives Hoops a plus, eventhough I'm not crazy about the design. I may buy one more box of each just to try to assemble sets of each.

I took a look at Brilliance and agree - the design of the base is not that great. I also took a look at Contenders and do like the design a lot better. Elite base looks really nice, but I do like to get more than 10 cards because I have a tendency to want to build a set.

All-in-all, it's curious to me that many of these releases have been discounted so heavily, considering the rookie class. It might be foolish to buy a few just to put away, but I wonder if the market has been saturated with 10+ separate Panini releases for the same year?
  • Is the 2012 product Popovich's rookie?
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Panini honors expired redemptions.

There are 3 major wax dealers to compare prices from: Dave & Adam's, Blowout Cards, and Steel City Collectibles.

Threads gives you 3 autos (and a jersey card) per box. I did a Black Friday box of it and was happy. My best auto was a Robert Parish (unnumbered). To me, having HOFer autos that are common enough to be unnumbered is a strong plus. The rookie autos are on faux wood cards, which you might find neat. BTW, it also has die-cut jersey-shaped inserts.

A good box of just about any of these sets can have a huge hit. I hit a Kobe auto in a Prestige box last year and a Kyrie auto in a Timeless Treasures box this year.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    No prizm discussion???
    Lahmejoon--the elite product I was talking about comes with more than 10 cards. IIRC it comes with 20 packs and maybe 5 cards per pack. So it is a decent set build. I think there is a second elite product that is higher end that comes with only one pack and 10 cards. I agree with NickM that there is a decent chance at some pretty good hits. I took part in some case breaks and I watched the results and there always seemed to be decent results. Congratulations on the Kahwi auto. That is a pretty good hit.

Shu4040 is right. Any talk of 2012 product should include the Prizm product. I think that was the hottest product at the time. I never opened a box which is why it wasn't in my original post. It is still priced a little high but is definitely a rippable product. I believe Panini positioned this product similar to what Topps does with Chrome. There are colored Prizm cards that have different variations like the chrome refractors. The colored Prizm cards were as hot as the autos with this product for a while.
    Steve
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No prizm discussion??? >>

This.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Poppivich has his rookie in 04-05 Topps Total I think. Prizm is good if you get hobby stuff. They took coaches out of Hoops this year and I like it to be like the original Hoops.
    I see now that there is an Elite and an Elite Series. I'll tell you, there are so many releases that it sort of makes the head spin trying to keep track!

Those are all huge pulls, Nick. Amazing, really. Congratulations!

I checked out Prism and I don't think I'm a fan of the base design. I'm not much of a fan of the metallic looking cards. I really enjoy a nice photo over the shiny stuff.

So, now I'm thoroughly confused! image I have each product laid out and the prices from the three big vendors side-by-side. It's interesting how vastly different in price they are on certain releases, the it seems pretty consistent that Blowout has the cheaper prices on most of them. I really like that most of the releases are all pretty affordable too. I would think the prices would be inflated more because of the rookie class.

Anyway, I'll share what I decide on (may take a couple of days, though)! Thank you, everyone, for your input and experience. I'd love to hear more, if you have more experience with this year.

Aaron
  • I think if you are buying a Panini product, you are at least going to get redemption cards honored, even if expired. I believe they will get you the actual card if they have it or something close if you don't which is better than Topps or UD are on the subject. It seems that some of the products have dropped nicely as well.
    Aaron,

I picked up a few Brilliance boxes during the DAC Black Friday deal. I am ripping one of them with my son tomorrow as one of his Christmas presents. Hope to pick up some Anthony Davis cards that are gradable. Specifically there is one insert set that I believe is Spellbound where I think the player has a number of variations of this insert with each card spelling a letter from his name, so in this case A-N-T-H-O-N-Y D-A-V-I-S. That would be 12 cards. I have one graded PSA 10 (the "S") so I would like to get the remaining 11 over time.
    Steve
    Just ripped the Brilliance box with my son. A bit of a dud. We got three Auto cards and no patch card. I forget what the box was supposed to yield, but I thought it was 2 Autos and a Patch card. I think our autos were Beno Udrih, Nano DeColo and someone else along those lines. We did get an Anthony Davis base RC (I was hoping for a Spellbound insert, but I'll take any Davis card when ripping), a Damian Lillard Scorer's Inc. insert, a Bradley Beal insert and a Kahwi Leonard base RC. For veterans, we got a couple Lebrons and other random inserts. A bit of a dud, but always fun to open a box.
    Steve
    At least you had some fun with the rip. Any Davis or Lillard would make for a nice rip.

The other night, I ended up deciding that I wanted to get a few boxes of Contenders, Threads, and base Panini. When I got back on to Blowout, the Contenders boxes were gone and only cases were left. I was starting to talk myself into buying a case until I saw they had boxes back up this morning. The one thing I'm noticing is that many of these releases do not have any Lillard autos. When I was talking myself into a case, I was thinking I would rip a few and maybe hold onto a few, since this rookie class is solid, but the lack of Lillard autos may hurt it a tad bit for future value. I'm going to place an order today or tomorrow. I'm usually pretty controlled in my spending, but I'm so tempted to go crazy with this stuff!

Merry Christmas to you and to everyone else on the board!
    Yes, unfortunately Leaf signed Lillard to an exclusive autograph contract for 2012. Most panini products from 2012 do not offer his cards with an autograph. Although a quick search of eBay shows a couple of the higher end sets (National Treasures and Flawless) with his auto cards. Not sure if those were released much later in the year and after his exclusive Leaf contract was over. I am too risk averse to break a high dollar product like Flawless or National Treasures (I can just see myself being left with a fistful of Quincy Acy and Bernard James 1/10 autos to show for my break, no offense Quincy Acy and Bernard James). If you want to invest in a product a good one may in fact be the Prizm product mentioned earlier in the thread. I know you said you didn't like the design (and I agree, I don't care for that design much either), but the product contains Prizm refractor inserts in addition to Autos. As redemptions expire the Prizm refractors will still be in the Prizm boxes offering some long term value not tied solely to autographs (much like the refractors in Topps Chrome). Even without Lillard there are still Kyrie, Kahwi, Bradley Beal and Klay Thompson Rookie autos in addition to Anthony Davis in most of that year's products.
    Steve
  • Leaf got lucky picking Lillard but then made a deal with Panini and I think they were in wrapper redemptions and the last four sets Panini did. I think that satisfied the desire for NBA auto rookies. Panini will honor expired redemptions so that helps collectors.
  • loving this thread
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>loving this thread >>

+1

I'm a huge basketball fan but was very loyal to Topps Chrome. I hadn't really bought anything more than a blaster box or two since 2009 until recently. I've been buying up lots of 2012 RCs recently too.

I think the 'Brow' has gotten a lot of us back into the game.
  • I am not a modern collector but got pulled in on 2012-13 basketball with the Prizm product. I can't stand the $400/pack high end stuff. It just feels like gambling to me. The fun in ripping has always been in opening the packs for me and 20 pack boxes at $90 seems fair and fun. The cards looked like old 96 Topps Chrome to me and the inserts were simple, a few autos, refractors and the #/10 golds. I would think the Gold AD and AD autos still have to be pretty hot cards. Even regular base RC's of top guys were not common pulls.

This would be my pick if I was going back to 2012-13 products.
    I pulled the trigger on a couple of boxes of Contenders and Threads. I might pick up a box of Prism. For some reason, I like base Panini and might also add some boxes of those. It's a fun, cheap rip.
    So, the more I'm researching the sets for this year, the more I'm intrigued by Hoops. I previously said that I thought the design was boring, but this set has a heck of an autograph list. Of course, at 2 per box, the odds are against you, but there are some pretty nice hits for a relatively inexpensive box. Am I alone in this thinking?
    Bumping this thread to see if anyone has been ripping some more 2012 product. I opened a retail rack box of Absolute with my son that I bought from DAC Black Friday. No rookies in the box, so not a particularly valuable rip. I didn't know this when I bought it, but I think it was between $10-20 so no big deal. There were 200+ cards in the box and my son and I were able to make the 1-100 base card set out of the one box so that was cool. The set is in pages and he gets to flip through it and see Steph Curry, KD, Lebron and the other veterans so good enough for me.

We are currently ripping through a Brilliance box now. It is a pretty good value at around $30-35/box. I think it had two autos and a patch card per box as well as the cool Spellbound insert set (13 inserts per box including Spellbound, by the numbers, Starburst). I am trying for the Anthony Davis Spellbound set in PSA 10. I have one letter down and hopefully will be able to get the remaining four some time.

We opened a box of Crusade. I really liked that product. I like the clean white border base design and my son (and I) love the colored refractor type inserts. Our box was a bit of a did from an auto and patch standpoint but it was saved by a nice Kahwi Green refractor numbered to 25. Those inserts are cool looking and I am going to try and build that set with my son because he really liked the design.

Anyone have any rips to share? I would like to hear who is getting good value out of boxes (both price wise and fun wise).
    Steve
    Thanks for the bump. I have some recent activity on the 2012 stuff.

I purchased 2 boxes of Threads, 2 boxes of Contenders, and an entire case of the base Panini. Here were my results (I seem to have a contract on Kawhi Leonard and Chandler Parsons):

Threads - Of the six autos, the only ones to note were a Chander Parsons jersey auto, Dion Waiters, and Kidd-Gilchrist.
    Contenders - Autos of note were Kawhi Leonard, Chandler Parsons, and Sleepy Floyd #'d to 149. Other inserts were Lebron HOF Contenders and Anthony Davis Rookie of the Year Contenders
    Base Panini - picked this up for $265 on DAC, before prices went back up. Got 3 Rated Rookie autos (commons) but one was numbered out of 25 (Jonas Valanciunas) as opposed to the 49 or 50 that most are numbered. Of the rookie autos, I pulled 2 Chandler Parsons and 2 Kawhi Leonard redemptions.

I connected with another collector on Sports Card Forum who broke four cases of base Panini. His biggest hits were Klay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard Rated Rookie autos and a Kyrie Irving Black Knight #'d to 10. He did not hit any of the rookie signatures of Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, or Kawhi Leonard. Between his four and my one case, I think it's safe to say that those are short prints, eventhough they aren't listed as such. It seems as though we hit duplicates of many of the more common rookies.

I'm trying to put together the gold parallel set in the base Panini. I'm about 70 short, but hope to be about 35 short after working out a trade with the gentleman on SCF. I'm also going to attempt to put the rookie signature set together. I'm over half way there, but am missing the big two. I'm hoping I get the Kawhi redemptions.

That's the scoop for now! The rips were fun!
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Still love this thread!

i have a box of 12/13 Prizm Hobby on the way that should be here this week, it'll be my first 12/13 complete box image

I should have bought a box or two of Prizm during the Black Friday - they were like $90 a box, but I didn't care for the design so I stayed away.

One thing that is interesting with the base Panini, after comparing notes with the gentleman on the other forum is that the case hits vary. My case had 3 rated rookie patch autos, no black knights, 1 POY, 1 Knights of the Round, 1 HOF auto (George Gervin), and 3 patches. The other gentleman had a case that yielded 4 Knights of the Round and one each of the other inserts, one that yielded 4 rated rookie patches and 1 of each of the others, and another case that yielded 3 black knights and one of each of the others. So, collation of the case hits are all over the place. The crazy thing is that cases are now around $450 on DAC and blowout, when they were $265 just two months ago. There has to be a ton of this stuff out there, so I'm hoping the prices settle because (glutton for punishment) I would be in for another case at the $265.

Awesome hit on the Kawhi, Steve!
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I dove full on into the Panini Prizm set. I'm about 80% done with completing a Prizms (refractors) set. If any of you have any you'd like to sell, please LMK
    Well, the Prizm Box came in today. Whole bunch of buttocks-hurt, but it was FUN none the less image

i CAN say that i pack-pulled an AD RC! image

here are the "hits"

These must have been a blast to open 3 years ago, but at the current price-point, i will be steering clear
    Unibrow sighting! image
    Eric--Nice pull on the AD! One nice thing about Prizm is that the stock is pretty tough so in just buying singles from eBay I have had pretty good luck with condition. Corners are usually pretty sturdy. If you can avoid the scratches that the high gloss cards are prone to then you usually have a chance at a 10. If you ever submit that card and if it snags a 10 that would recoup about $60 of what you are into the box for.

Aaron--I'm with you. I will have to wait for some prices to settle before I buy too much more unopened. I am about 1/3 of the way through a Brilliance box with my son and our first auto was Will Bynum, ugh (no offense, Will Bynum). One product I think seems to be a pretty good value is Momentum. The only downside is that it is one of those 1 pack boxes. I prefer to get more cards to make a set, but from a value proposition it seems pretty good. I don't remember exactly, but I believe it goes between $49.95 to $54.95/box on DAC and it has one pack with 15 cards and 5 autos.

I recently purchased a lot of cards from a seller on eBay. Pretty happy. Ended up with a variety of cards for just over $50 delivered. Obviously no big money cards or "hits" below but for the cost of a mid value box I got a bunch of different RC's from the main star RC's in the product (minus Klay Thompson). I even picked up some older RC's of some surefire HOFers and a nicely centered 87 Fleer Karl Malone in the deal.

Steve
    I got a 10% off coupon from DACardworld and I am about to place an order. I like mid priced boxes (<$100) that are not one pack boxes. I prefer to get a fair amount of base cards so I can enjoy putting a set together even if I miss on the "hits". After looking at the products again, I think I plan to go with Marquee (some very cool looking cards, I am hoping to pull an Anthony Davis Swirlorama), Momentum (the exception to my one pack box rule), Brilliance (my favorite low end product) and Elite (the one in the red box). Anybody have suggestions on any other products that they have ripped and did well/had fun with?

Specifically, has anyone ripped Absolute or Prestige? Do the hobby boxes of Prestige have the Anthony Davis Rated Rookie card?

Thanks!
    Steve
    Got this shipment at the office yesterday. It's my son's birthday next week. That and a 10% off coupon from DACardworld=ripping time. For those counting at home we are looking at: 1 box each of 2012 Momentum, 2012 Brilliance, 2012 Elite and 3 boxes of 2012 Marquee. Hoping to hit one big auto out of these boxes (Anthony Davis, Kyrie, Klay Thompson, Kahwi) and hopefully a bunch of AD RC's and inserts.

Steve
    image Good luck! I'm still trying to collate sets from the 2012 base set case I purchased months ago and handful of 2012 Hoops boxes. I still have some Hoops boxes left that I'm leaving for a rainy day. The last box I opened I pulled a Jimmy Butler auto, so I was really happy with that.

I'm still waiting for my redemptions from the base Panini. I have about 14 that I'm waiting on, two of them being Kawhi Leonard. I'm hoping they materialize.

<< <i>Got this shipment at the office yesterday. It's my son's birthday next week. That and a 10% off coupon from DACardworld=ripping time. For those counting at home we are looking at: 1 box each of 2012 Momentum, 2012 Brilliance, 2012 Elite and 3 boxes of 2012 Marquee. Hoping to hit one big auto out of these boxes (Anthony Davis, Kyrie, Klay Thompson, Kahwi) and hopefully a bunch of AD RC's and inserts.

image >>

Looks like a Great Time! image
    Aaron--I will keep my fingers crossed for you on those redemptions. Post some scans of the autos (at least the Kawhi autos).
    Eric--I am 9 packs into my first box of Marquee and it may be my favorite product I have opened so far. I love the design of the set. The inserts are sweet and every pack has at least one or two inserts. The swirlorama cards may be my favorite design. My son and I have only had one hit (in the last pack we've opened) and it was a Mugsy Bogues Auto. You know you like a product when you haven't hit a single good RC and your auto is a 5 foot 3 basketball player and you are still happy with your box. I am definitely going to be putting this set together through rips.
    Steve

<< <i>Aaron--I will keep my fingers crossed for you on those redemptions. Post some scans of the autos (at least the Kawhi autos).
    Eric--I am 9 packs into my first box of Marquee and it may be my favorite product I have opened so far. I love the design of the set. The inserts are sweet and every pack has at least one or two inserts. The swirlorama cards may be my favorite design. My son and I have only had one hit (in the last pack we've opened) and it was a Mugsy Bogues Auto. You know you like a product when you haven't hit a single good RC and your auto is a 5 foot 3 basketball player and you are still happy with your box. I am definitely going to be putting this set together through rips. >>

I loved Mugsy, but he disappointed me. I was a huge Hornets fan (fan of Larry Johnson and all of the UNLV guys), so I sent some cards TTM. I got responses out of Dell Curry and Hersey Hawkins, which I was excited about. Mugsy's came back but the signature looked sort of strange (not even) so I decided to try once more. That one came back and had an identical signature, with all of the unevenness in the same spots. I ended up concluding that he was using a stamp. image I'd still be excited about pulling one of his autos, though.
    Hi all,

I've slowed my basketball purchases to refocus a bit, but I do have a question for the more informed. I've noticed, what seems to be, an abundance of blue flip Damian Lillard Prism autos. Does anyone know if these were issued this way and/or why they only seem to be found this way?

Thanks!
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    My memory is that leaf purchased his cards after market and had him sign them and release them in their product. So they weren't officially prizm inserted.

<< <i>My memory is that leaf purchased his cards after market and had him sign them and release them in their product. So they weren't officially prizm inserted. >>

I suppose that makes sense because Lillard had an exclusive deal with someone, not Panini, IIRC.
  • byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    It was Leaf but then they made a deal with Panini to have him sign some for them. I'm sure Panini will get more digs from him when the exclusive is done
    So I opened two of my three boxes of Marquee and I had to take a break. I absolutely love the card design, stock and I think the base and SP cards are fantastic. I also like that you get 160 cards per box and that you can have some set-building fun. But OMG, what a brutal two boxes for me. Not one Anthony Davis in either box and IIRC only one Klay Thompson, Kyrie and Leonard. No decent auto cards or hits. After that carnage, I decided to wait on the third box (moving from WA to CA also got it the way). I decided I would guarantee myself some good RC's and purchased some lots from an eBay seller recently. Pretty happy with the value as I think I spent maybe $52 for 57 cards in the lot. Haven't looked through them all but I am hoping there are a few cards that could pull 10's out of the lot, especially from the Anthony Davis and Kyrie lots.
    Steve