Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I am the person who owns the cards that Apple383/Dave Sobie finally returned. Update 1/4

Hello forum members, I am the person who sent Dave Sobie the following items for consignment around Thanksgiving:

1971 complete set
1976 near complete set
1965 high grade singles
1960 high grade singles

Based on my conversations with Dave, it was my understanding the items would be listed for sale in early December. When they did not get listed I attempted to contact him repeatedly to find out why the items weren't listed. At first he indicated he was trying to get other items listed first, which was fine. Then his communications became more vague, and then stopped altogether. I remembered reading the forum a few months ago about someone else having issues with him. I thought it was CrissCriss, so I contacted him & said it was actually Ron Burgundy, but before I could contact Burgundy, CrissCriss posted about it on the forum. I work odd hours and many times do not have internet access, so it's hard for me to be a regular forum reader here, let alone post.

Obviously there's a negative reaction to CrissCriss here. I wish I had remembered correctly who had the previous issue with Sobie, but it is still the case that after repeated requests to have my cards returned to me, he has not done so. Earlier in the week he offered to "find a buyer" for my 76 set, instead of returning it. That makes me worried that he doesn't have the set anymore. Yesterday he said he would "try" to send the cards back this weekend or Monday. I don't know how hard it is to send them back to their owner.

The other thing that bothers me about this situation is that I was told that Sobie took over $20,000 worth of sets from a guy by the name of David Glickfield in Indiana. Glickfield had to sue to get his cards back, and was never made whole.

At this point, if I don't have a tracking number that my cards are on the way by Monday, I will have no choice but to contact the authorities, EBay, and whoever else I have to talk to to get my cards returned. If any forum members could help in any way, I would appreciate it.

Brian

Comments

• Brian, that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear what's happening. Here is a link to the other thread you mentioned. Good luck!!
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I hope there is something the authorities can do. Crappy situation, good luck!
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    No offense but who is Dave Sobie and what is his credentials?? I have never heard of him....
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No offense but who is Dave Sobie and what is his credentials?? I have never heard of him.... >>

He's a long time forum member and eBay consignment seller. I bid on his auctions frequently over the last two years and his service was always exemplary. As an example, one order he sent me was delayed a week through no fault of his, and he was very communicative and helpful.

Something has obviously changed, it's really too bad.
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Glickfield had to use to get his cards back, and was never made whole. >>

I'm thinking you left a couple words out here after "use"; I'm guessing the two words are "a lawyer"; am i correct?????

• << <i>

<< <i>Glickfield had to use to get his cards back, and was never made whole. >>

I'm thinking you left a couple words out here after "use"; I'm guessing the two words are "a lawyer"; am i correct????? >>

I assumed "use" was a typo of "sue." Not sure though.
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I assumed "use" was a typo of "sue." Not sure though. >>

Good thinking; I think you're right!!image
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea who this guy is but he's ripping of people's cards and lifting scans of 52 Mantles to sell for 20k.... Sounds like he might have a problem.

• << <i>I have no idea who this guy is but he's ripping of people's cards and lifting scans of 52 Mantles to sell for 20k.... Sounds like he might have a problem. >>

I forgot about the Mantle debacle too. Sheesh.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry this happened to you. I genuinely hope you get your cards back, and I think you will (albeit after some headaches).

Not sure what happened to The Crisser. He used to be a good guy that seemed to be looking out for others but somewhere along the line he got some personal agendas and started firing from the hip.

If I were you, I'd take this whole thing to Net54 as well. It's a board with a wider audience and exposure seems to be required at this point. Best of luck.
  • ejohnejohn Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Glickfield is an attorney. Not someone to mess with.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    This is a sad situation. I don't know what has happened to Dave. I had good transactions with him on eBay & here before things went south with my set over the summer. I just do not understand how hard it is to either list something and sell it, or send it back.

I also heard the same about the David Glickfield matter.

Best of luck getting your stuff returned.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Update as of noon on 12/24. I have heard nothing from Sobie. Last week he said he would get the cards shipped back to me by Monday. I have attempted to contact him multiple times since Monday without a response. I don't think he even has my cards now.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point I would file a police report claiming mail fraud as well as larceny over
  • You might want to revise the title of the thread and add "not." Right now it says you got your cards back. Good luck getting them back from that scumbag.

• << <i>At this point I would file a police report claiming mail fraud as well as larceny over >>

+1. File now. If cards are discovered and it was an honest mistake, no biggie. File now, and you are being scammed, this will go along way in small claims. Just watch judge judy! "Did you file a police report?" "no." "why not, that is what people do when their property is stolen!"

Also, did you sign a contract with him or simply send the items? Always sign a contract first: evidence. And the shipping tracking number will help too.

Finally, how far away is this guy from you? Instead of calling and emailing, why not go to his house and get your cards back? If you are in LA and he is in NYC, then it may be cost prohibitive. But if he is less than 600 miles and you want peace of mind, go get your stuff by knocking on his door and stop messing around. Or you could ask a friend on the boards who lives near the guy to do it for you.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Police might not even take a report, claiming it to be a civil matter...
    Good for you.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>why not go to his house and get your cards back? >>

Way too many negative things could happen with that IMO. I wouldn't recommend "self help" in that fashion. Might that work, perhaps, but the more likely scenario in that instance would be an escalation that could go severely wrong.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • I would not show up at house. Way to much down side for at the end of the day card board.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The showing up to the house sounds like a fun idea on paper but will go horribly wrong.

This sounds like enough merchandise both financially and personally to spend more money to go after this guy. I think a better idea would be to hire a bounty hunter to go track him down and either apprehend him and turn him over to authorities or simply scare the crap out of him and have your cards returned.

If you sent the cards to him I would imagine you still have his address and I am sure there are others on the boards who could assist with that information.

It is really sad to see someone stoop to this level. Money doesn't grown on trees and in many cases cards can't simply be replaced. This is so low in my view. I hate thieves.

• Dec 28 and nothing has changed. Does anyone here know him and would be able to contact him? Is there anyone in Illinois that can help?
  • I don't know if he is reading the message boards, but he was on the website yesterday. He has a 1979 Topps set and updated it on the set registry yesterday.
  • 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dec 28 and nothing has changed. Does anyone here know him and would be able to contact him? Is there anyone in Illinois that can help? >>

I hope you get your cards back soon.

can you change the subject line to - ".........the cards Apple383 has NOT returned."
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would not show up at house. Way to much down side for at the end of the day card board. >>

This is exactly right. Good luck getting your cards back.
    Steve
  • I would call the police and his boss.
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    Yes, you definitely have to call the police in his home town. You'd be surprised at the results.

Did you attempt to file a police report?

It sucks, but you actually have to work and be diligent to get your cards back.
  • why do you keep ignoring the forum members' advice of filing a police report? Just do it and move on.
  • I contacted the authorities yesterday & plan on contacting more today. Will keep everyone posted.
  • Good move, DD, and good luck. Keep us posted.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good decision, hopefully it works out soon
  • Contact a collection agency. They will take a %, but when he receives the collection letter and checks his credit report, he will probably contact you right away.

Rick
  • well done
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is really lame. I thought Dave was better than this.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is really lame. I thought Dave was better than this. >>

Maybe itzagoner can help,
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is really lame. I thought Dave was better than this. >>

Maybe itzagoner can help, >>

no. i don't think i can help. i've defended and supported as much as i can. i can only hope this situation gets resolved to the satisfaction of the OP.

if i'm wrong about Dave, i'm not afraid to say so. i'd prefer to be not wrong, though.
  • Update, 1/4. The cards have been returned. I have not yet gone through them to see if they are all there.
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Good to hear. Hopefully they're all there with no switcheroos.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Great news. Please let us know if everything is there. It'd be nice to know that you have been finally made whole.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Great news!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    + 1
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I hope a valuable lesson was learned from all of this.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope a valuable lesson was learned from all of this. >>

Drat, as usual I missed it.

But am glad cards are back
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "I hope a valuable lesson was learned from all of this."

What other names if any does Apple383 go by?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball

<< <i>I hope a valuable lesson was learned from all of this. >>

flush twice.

• << <i>I hope a valuable lesson was learned from all of this. >>

So do these guys

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What other names if any does Apple383 go by? >>

His name here is bbuckner22
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I looked at my message history and found that I had a couple deals that went well with Dave. It's a shame that things have changed, but I hope he gets it together and clears his name. It will take time and will not be easy, but it can be done.

still wondering what the fleek happened these past few weeks. anyone got an anecdote?