Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opinions on Upper Deck?

I collect a little bit of modern basketball and football. Just curious what people think about products of pro players in their college uniforms. It seems like losing their NBA and NFL licenses has put a damper on Upper Deck products (at least to me). I am generally less likely to buy Upper Deck cards now because I don't really want to have cards in college jerseys. What percentage decrease do you think it hurts them, 20% , 50%? Topps is due to lose their FB license after this year so Panini will be exclusive in BK and FB. I think this is bad for the hobby. How many will stop collecting Topps Chrome when Topps can't produce cards with NFL logos? Interested to hear other people's takes on the subject.
Steve

Comments

• MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I don't care for upper deck at all, but for reasons others here probably don't care about. I don't collect modern, but I do collect 90's Michael Jordan cards and I can't stand how many sets and subsets that upper deck makes that are ALL Michael Jordan cards, the mjx series, rare air, view points, black diamond, mj career, 23 nights of mj, etc... It's just another way for upper deck to make money.
  • I dont mind the college jersey thing....UD quality control on their thick cards blows. Soft corners, major edge chipping, etc. on most series. And their jerseys are not GU...just factory cuts...if you are into jerseys. However, UD has exclusively lebron, MJ, and other big stars in their pockets....of which I enjoy collecting...so I do rip their stuff, rather I buy UD auto cards of MJ and lebron after careful inspection.
  • I think UD is junk. The college cards to me are pointless. I really like the exquisite stuff that guarantees a Jordan auto per case. Before UD and Jordan are done his auto cards should be worth around $75.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • The college stuff was okay at first but then it got to where they copied seemingly every design, reused many photos and cranked out Jordan and Lebron autos. With Panini getting so many of the college licenses now, UD will have to use airbrushing and headshots--ugh
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is hit and miss with UD these days. For basketball, there are a lot of cards using the same images of the players. That part gets old. I do like the "Fleer Retro" stuff.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Topps did not lose NFL logo rights. Panini's exclusive is with the NFLPA. Unless it purports to bar players from individual deals, Topps could start making individual deals with players - and even if it does, guys can be signed to card deals before they sign a contract with a team (i.e., not yet a member of the NFLPA) - andI'm not considering the possibility of an antitrust action if it did purport to bar individual deals.
    Get ready for legends sets from Topps.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with a lot of the opinions put out so far. The number of MJ and Lebron cards they have printed is preposterous and only negative for the long term value of the cards. I give them credit for having the foresight to sign those stars to exclusive auto contracts but they are riding them into the ground. It stinks we were not able to have any Lebron autos featuring him in his Heat jersey. It is a big bummer Topps lost both NFL and NBA licenses. Will Topps continue to make FB product? Didn't they just stop doing NBA when they lost their license? There's only so many legends sets you can do. Most modern classes want the chance for the year's hot rookies.
    Steve
  • FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    If you like or hate Upper Deck. An interesting book about the company and Richard McWilliams is Card Sharks by Pete Williams. Some interesting and scary information on UD in the book.