Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What do you want to see from PSA?

I was thinking how nice it would be to see a line graph of a particular card's pop report population in PSA 10. To sort of see how and when the pop increased. Will it happen? No. But it made me think what other ideas might be out there that others might wish to see.

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Grading queues. Where is my submission in the pecking order?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Grading queues. Where is my submission in the pecking order? >>

Good call.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be ideal if subs were graded FIFO, but that is not the case.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I third that
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    longevity.
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    How about holders that are the correct size. For example the 71 bazooka boxes need a flap folded... Yes folded... To fit into the slab . I can't believe in this disposable plastic world we live in that a company in Japan or china can't be found to make holders for them Or better yet a company in America should be able to make holders !
  • Options
    I forget what grading company offered this service but they enclosed your cards in slightly thicker card savers and sealed them but gave them a grade. It was a cheap way to grade your lesser cards. I would grade all kinds of stuff if PSA had an option like this. I have vintage stuff that sits in the 3-5 range that won't ever see a current Psa slab because of the price. They could offer this service and I would bet a lot of collectors would send whole vintage sets in just to have PSA on them.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Free shipping both ways for "mechanical errors."
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    A six pack to help ease the pain of the "wtf" grades.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A six pack to help ease the pain of the "wtf" grades. >>

+1
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For them to come to Texas more than once every 4-5 years (I know it's probably dumb, but I do not trust the USPS).

Steve
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    a bit of a jump in the stock price would be nice.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A report card service that can be had for a nominal fee (free would be nice for cards over a certain grading fee/stated value). This report would break down the key answers to WHY the card was assigned the grade.

In lieu of that: subgrades. Ideally subs where centering is weighted as much as corners. Heck, I'd even let them charge me a couple bucks to add subs to the flip.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I would love it if they had something you could buy that would hold both your subs and slabs to and from psa. I hate slapping high value cards between two pieces of cardboard and some tape.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drop the price on authenticating autographed cards.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>A report card service that can be had for a nominal fee (free would be nice for cards over a certain grading fee/stated value). This report would break down the key answers to WHY the card was assigned the grade.

In lieu of that: subgrades. Ideally subs where centering is weighted as much as corners. Heck, I'd even let them charge me a couple bucks to add subs to the flip. >>

That would nice! Sign me up.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Free shipping both ways for "mechanical errors." >>

+1
  • Options

+1
  • Options

<< <i>I forget what grading company offered this service but they enclosed your cards in slightly thicker card savers and sealed them but gave them a grade. It was a cheap way to grade your lesser cards. I would grade all kinds of stuff if PSA had an option like this. I have vintage stuff that sits in the 3-5 range that won't ever see a current Psa slab because of the price. They could offer this service and I would bet a lot of collectors would send whole vintage sets in just to have PSA on them. >>

BGS has RCR which is cheaper, but I think your referencing Verisleeve which as a small non-major TPG company I actually respect.

<< <i>Drop the price on authenticating autographed cards. >>

This. I'll sub my tough and expensive autos to PSA still, but I'm about to send a big group of lesser autos to SGC. It's basically a 5 for 2 tradeoff.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

i totally agree!!!
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you talking about here? It has always been free shipping both ways. It is just that you have to get reimbursed in the form of a voucher for shipping your mech errors to them, which IMO is not a problem. You do have to request the reimbursement though. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't believe they send you the voucher unless you ask.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (double post)
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

What are you talking about here? It has always been free shipping both ways. It is just that you have to get reimbursed in the form of a voucher for shipping your mech errors to them, which IMO is not a problem. You do have to request the reimbursement though. I'm not 100% certain, but I don't believe they send you the voucher unless you ask. >>

Okay, I change my request to "Send me the freaking voucher even if I don't ask."
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    wrapper grading would be nice!
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wrapper grading would be nice! >>

+1

I have a bunch of 1960s non-sports wrappers I'd love to get graded.

Steve
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A report card service that can be had for a nominal fee (free would be nice for cards over a certain grading fee/stated value). This report would break down the key answers to WHY the card was assigned the grade.

In lieu of that: subgrades. Ideally subs where centering is weighted as much as corners. Heck, I'd even let them charge me a couple bucks to add subs to the flip. >>

That would nice! Sign me up. >>

Yes, please.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    slab rack packs!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Okay, I change my request to "Send me the freaking voucher even if I don't ask." >>

>>

+1 Haha. Geez. I have to ask for my voucher? Why am I not surprised?
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Team and player sets from more non-Topps major companies.
  • Options
    Someone you can actually talk to that will clearly answer your questions as to whether or not they will grade a certain set, certain variations, etc.... And if they don't grade it, they'd be able to give you logical reasons why not.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Team and player sets from more non-Topps major companies. >>

Absolutely! O Pee Chee, Donruss and Fleer etc. I have hoped for that for a long time.

Jimmy
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone you can actually talk to that will clearly answer your questions as to whether or not they will grade a certain set, certain variations, etc.... And if they don't grade it, they'd be able to give you logical reasons why not. >>

I am going to +1 this wish list item. I put in a lot of work to have some new sets recognized and I think this could be made a little easier. Also, similarly I would just like to understand the "why" - seems like a reasonable request to me. If you could talk to or e-mail the research department and they'd just reply yes/no and explain why not if no.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I sent a question to customer service two weeks ago if they grade a certain issue and I have yet to hear back. That would be a great if I could get an answer. My only response is that it would be 2 to 4 business days and I may just want to call the 1-800 number.

I'd love for PSA to grade Exhibit cards as they grade baseball but no other sports makes no sense to me.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I'm a supporter of PSA/DNA and enjoy many of the people there. The following is a non-exhaustive list of what I'd like to see take place, but I also understand that economically, some may be hard to implement, but as a consumer, this is what I'd like to see:

1. Don’t use shipping/insurance as what appears to be a profit center. Perhaps third party insurance policies would be a better product than USPS, FedEx rates?
    2. Obtain, research and find, or develop, a software image recognition system that can tell when an autographed item has been submitted before, and have that indexed to where the previous result is attached to the stored image. Then when the item is resubmitted in the future for authentication, use this system and if the item was deemed non-authentic the first time, deem it non-authentic again unless new knowledge has come to light as to why it is authentic. There simply is NO EXCUSE, when an autographed item can be received by a customer back from Newport Beach in the AM, where it received a questionable authenticity label, and in the PM, have it taken in person to a show where PSA/DNA is at, and have it authenticated immediately as genuine. The flip side of that is also true, an item should not receive a questionable authenticity at a show and then when sent into Newport Beach, come back as authentic. No item should receive questionable authenticity when sent into Newport Beach, and then resent back into Newport Beach a short time later and pass the next time, or the 3rd time, or the 4th time, etc. However, these instances don’t seem to be anomalies, as they happen too often, and they erode the integrity of the brand every time it happens. If an authenticator doesn’t show some reasonable proficiency in a certain field, then they shouldn’t be allowed to authenticate in that field. At the very least, run the images through a software program to prevent those types of embarrassing occurrences.
    3. Raise your prices if you have to in order to get better quality control. Up your prices by $1 per card and use those extra funds to invest in your employees and reward those that do the better jobs. ( I assume you have some tracking method to be able to know which employees are making the “flip” errors and which ones are not, which ones erred on authentications and which ones did not, etc.) Give them the incentive to work better and reward your better employees and get rid one of the ones that don’t perform and that damage the brand name repeatedly.
    4. Do a better job of customer service. Clients should not have to ASK for vouchers for shipping. When a client brings an error to your attention, the error should be corrected at the company’s expense by paying for shipping both ways, and in addition the client should receive a “free” grading voucher for THEIR inconvenience. If a better job is done on #3 above, less money would be spent on #4.
    5. When problems are discovered or brought to your attention, don’t do a “public” burying of your head in the sand, as once again, that erodes the quality of the brand, one chip at a time. Acknowledge the error, apologize for it, and figure out what steps need to take place in order to prevent the same thing from occurring in the future. No one should expect perfection, but everyone should expect accountability. The American public is a forgiving public generally if acknowledgement and accountability occur. Perhaps a section of the site where customers can go and bring these things to your attention publicly, without fear of reprisal or retribution, and have their concerns addressed publicly, so others can look in and see that the problems are being addressed.
    6. Cap autograph authentication fees at $100 per signature, and if necessary, raise the cost of the lower priced items by $5 each to make up for it. I know it’s not, although the company line probably says it is, but the same due diligence should go into authenticating a Jim Sundberg autograph as to a Babe Ruth autograph, and to have such a price discrepancy for what should be the same service, especially when there is no true “guarantee” per se, is insulting to the customers. If you do offer a “guarantee” like in #8 below, the disparity in prices is understandable and justified.
    7. Quick opinions, as long as the item is not determined to have been a photocopy, laser copy, etc, in other words, if it’s a real signature applied to an item when sent in, should be honored or the quick opinion should have never said “likely authentic” in the first place. A lot of people use this service as a way to screen potential purchases, sometimes high dollar purchases, and if the person issuing the quick opinion can’t tell from the formation of the graph as to whether or not it’s an example of the subjects signature if ultimately not on a photocopy, laser copy, etc, then the quick opinion of “likely authentic” should have never been issued.
    8. Autograph items should have a publicized buy back guarantee like on the card side. If it can definitively be proven that an item is not authentic, but it is found in a PSA/DNA slab untampered with (in other words, y’all goofed), then that item should be purchased back by the company at “market value” of what it would have been if authentic. If you are having too many of these occur, than go back to #3. This would give people more confidence in the brand and raise the value of your services and should enable you to charge higher prices as well for your service.
    9. Unless you can find a way for autographs not to fade, diminish, etc, once inside your slabs, do away with the autograph grading.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    10. Don’t put the authentication sticker on any item. Period. Regardless if the customer requests it or not. Just flat out cut the sticker program. If it’s an issue of cost effectiveness, raise the price of each item a buck and produce a nice quality letter with a nice, color image of the item. A company that is in the business of grading the condition of collectibles, should not be in the business of adding a foreign item to a trading card, picture, etc. Especially a foreign item that can and sometimes does damage the item when removed.
    11. Log all orders within 2 days of receiving them, and have guaranteed turnaround times, not “estimated” times. If you need more employees to accomplish this, raise prices.
    12. You pretty much have this market cornered and generally do a pretty good job at it. There is so much money to be made in this industry by collectors, providers, speculators, etc., that I believe collectors would be willing to spend even more with y’all if you would make some needed improvements, even if it results in higher prices to us consumers.

So to sum it up succinctly:
    1) Improve operating efficiency
    2) Offer improved customer service
    3) Raise the cost of your services and products if necessary to accommodate 1 and 2

Y’all have a good thing going, don’t mess it up by resting on your laurels. Keep the brand protected for our sake and for y’all's.

Best,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Reasonable ticket grading prices. $18 to $25 is just too much to charge to grade tickets and ticket stubs. Possibly charge one price to grade stubs and another for full ticket.

Wouldn't mind seeing PSA start grading Sports Illustrated's, but if they charge $25 to grade a ticket I can't imagine how much they would charge to grade a magazine.