Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Easiest set for obtaining autographs?

Hello everyone! I have a quick question. My oldest son and I are wanting to build a complete set with autographs, Topps, Donruss, Fleer etc. Can anyone give me their opinion on which set would be the easiest to obtain autographs for via TTMs, Card shows, Signings etc.? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank y'all in advance!

John

Comments

• lucasjlucasj Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    If you're considering football, I am 2 signed cards short of completing the 1987 Topps set. I'd say about 50% was obtained TTM with the rest being through shows, private signings and trade/purchases. Good luck with whatever set you choose! I had a blast putting mine together.

Luke
    1987 Topps FB - Signed
    1989 Hoops BB - Signed
    Seattle Seahawks & Mariners Key Cards
    Selectively Random Cards That Make Me Happy
  • jmlabonnerjmlabonner Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Yes I just realized I didn't specify a sport. I will look at the 1987 Topps Football set for sure. That's what my youngest son likes! Anyone got any tips on baseball sets? I live in the middle of nowhere Mississippi so no many signings going on around here!

John

<< <i>If you're considering football, I am 2 signed cards short of completing the 1987 Topps set. I'd say about 50% was obtained TTM with the rest being through shows, private signings and trade/purchases. Good luck with whatever set you choose! I had a blast putting mine together.

Luke >>

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Consider a hockey set from that era for TTM. You're likely to get a much better response rate.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Hmm so a hockey set from the late '80's? I've never thought much about hockey! Thank you Nick!

John

<< <i>Consider a hockey set from that era for TTM. You're likely to get a much better response rate.

Nick >>

• Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    1988 Maxx Racing is the best and they all sign TTM. Unlike the other sports no one in Racing charges for an auto. Even Richard Petty will sign 2 cards TTM for free! Some have passed but signed copies pop up on eBay. It's the 1986 Fleer Basketball set of racing.

Thank you so much! That is another set I will have to look at!

<< <i>1988 Maxx Racing is the best and they all sign TTM. Unlike the other sports no one in Racing charges for an auto. Even Richard Petty will sign 2 cards TTM for free! Some have passed but signed copies pop up on eBay. It's the 1986 Fleer Basketball set of racing. >>

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    My opinion on trying to do an older set is running into deceased people can possibly make it harder to complete.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Great advice!

I second hockey, so I hope you and your son have some interest in the sport image

The 1989 Topps Hockey set is what I'd recommend building. It's a great set and only has 198 cards, so it'll be a little easier to complete compared to sets twice the size.

I've been working on an all PSA 10 1989 Topps Hockey set from scratch and have probably near 100 complete sets. If you'd like one for TTMs feel free to PM me and I'll happily send you guys one and cover the shipping as well.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• When you are ready PM. I can likely fill in whatever set you chase. I still have over 50,000 signed cards. Some oddball sets look cool like the 88 swell and it is not too bad. In baseball the 92 fleer set is beautiful signed. I also like 84 topps baseball, 87 and 88 topps football, 89-90 hoops basketball, 89-90 fleer basketball…..all have great eye appeal. Best is 85 fleer baseball IMO.

Jason
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    John ... Let's just say that I've been working on the '52 Topps Set for many years and there are not too many guys available for TTM! LOL

I also started the '82 Donruss set and have about 2/3 - 3/4 of it complete. However, I also purchased quite a few already signed. You can pick up many of these very cheap. I'd guess that I have greater than a 50% success with the TTMs on this set.

Before you choose a hockey set, your son and you may want to consider the postage cost. I would guess that many of the players live in Canada. If that is the case, your postage costs will be more than double.

When you decide what set(s) you are going to do, post here and let us know. If I have any from those sets I would be more than happy to send a few "gifts" to your son to get him started.

REMEMBER: Forever stamps are a TTMers best friend!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    If you like golf, the 1981 Donruss golf set is "relatively" easy to put together autographed. I put one together via TTM and networking and it didn't take too long. Only two or three deceased if I remember correctly (Archer, Simons, and maybe one or two more unless the last 3 years have not been kind to the other guys)

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • I'm currently working on signed 58, 83, and 2011 baseball sets. My dad, mine, and my son's birth year. With any baseball set from any era your going to run into easy TTM'ers and tough expensive gets. As for easiest, however, might I recommend the most recent (or upcoming) Topps Heritage Minors set. The vast majority of minor leaguers are great TTM returns and they are popular sets to complete signed so it won't be difficult to find a trade group.

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Do some homework on the sets you are considering unless you dont mind that you will never complete it.

1987 Topps Baseball is a complete beast. Very rare Rickey Wright will cost you a LOT of money. And he does not sign them anymore.

1981 Topps Baseball Win Remmerswaal is very very difficult. He is unable to sign and signed very little when he was healthy. A very rare auto.

1988 Score is a pretty good one and the cards look great signed.

Also, learn who the forgers are. There are a few out there who are masters at forging autos on cards.
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, do NOT buy from two sellers on Ebay that forge common cards. The names are samsobo and lock-em-up-bob

<< <i>Whatever you do, do NOT buy from two sellers on Ebay that forge common cards. The names are samsobo and lock-em-up-bob >>

+1000
    Oh, another set thats one of my favorites signed is 1982 Fleer...but Steve Garvey does not sign his card. There are VERY few known to exist, in fact, I have never seen another real one besides mine. Yes, I have one image

Supposedly, he has considered signing 5 or 10 for charity. As far as I know, it has not happened.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Pick a set that is 1) finishable (e.g. 1969 Topps football was never finishable - same with 2005 All American Football and 1957 Basketball - all due to a pictured players' death before release) 2) doesn't contain 8 cards of a high priced or deceased HOFer (e.g Gretzky has 5 cards in several 80's sets because of the leaders cards) 3) doesn't contain a majority of obscure players (several football sets have guys that played 2-3 years in the league an disappeared - same with 70's basketball that contains ABA players).

Best recommendation is a sweet spot of something mid 80's that doesn't have an ton of deceased guys and also contains mostly guys that don't get anal about signing autographs because people sell them for $3.89 on eBay.

Finally, subscribe to the Harvey Meiselman list for the sport that you choose. The $20-30 that you'll spend will be invaluable and prevent you from asking for an address on a message board every 3 days.

Good luck.
    Wow you greatly appreciate ALL the help and information y'all have given me! I am a 100% Army DAV so I have nothing but time to do this now. I didn't learn about TTM's until 2009 and I am 40 now. My son and I will look at the different sets today and I will post on which one he likes. My 7 year old loves baseball and my 11 year old loves basketball. I will be looking at both! Again thank you all so so much!

John
    Ok below are the only factory sets I have in my possession at the moment. My boys are indecisive on the sets because there is a Nintendo 3DS in their site! Any suggestions? I know the sets with Griffey will be tough.

Below is the only actual auto "set" I have completed. 1984 Fleer Giants. I obtained most of them via TTM but had to purchase some on eBay. Sending the rest of the raw ones in to SGC soon!

I have decided to go with the 1992 Fleer Baseball Set and the 1988 Swell Greats Football.

John
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    Curious - why won't Garvey sign the 82 Fleer?

<< <i>Curious - why won't Garvey sign the 82 Fleer? >>

If you ask him, he wont give a straight answer so no one really knows. It's pretty odd because the same exact picture is on a Topps Fan Favorites card and he will sign that one with no issues.

• MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Curious - why won't Garvey sign the 82 Fleer? >>

There are weird situations like that. Kelly Gruber of all people, won't sign his 1990 Leaf card but otherwise he's a great signer (and gorgeous autograph).

I'm a little late to the party, but if you are going to work on any of those sets you pictured, I'd suggest either of the Upper Deck sets. UD cards look great signed and that era, a lot of the signatures are still mostly readable. They also take ink very well.

One other thing that no one mentioned, is how available are the cards on the secondary market. The 1992 Fleer set you chose wasn't hugely popular but the Upper Decks back in the day (I used to do a lot of in-person back then were the preferred card for us to get signed over the plethora of other issues of the time. Also the photography was top notch.

Just so you know what you are getting into, my sets of choice were, 1990 Leaf, 1992 Fleer Ultra, and 1992-93 Upper Deck Hockey. I have been working on these since they came out, although I will admit I've only half-heartedly worked on completion as I simply cannot afford to finish them through private signings and paying for the deceased guys I still need. I'm at 80% on the Leaf, 70% on the Ultra, and 90% on the UD Hockey.

PS. I noticed you mentioned you were a vet. Thank you for your service to our country.

Some might disagree with me, but when you write your TTM letters, you should mention this fact and that also mention your son. I believe that it will increase your chances of success. Even sending a small picture might not be a bad idea to add a personal touch. I know a couple of ex-MLBers, and neither had much of a career, but both mentioned they get repeated requests from the same people, often for the same cards. I checked one guy out and he's a big time online seller of autographed cards, I couldn't find anything on the other name, but this can get obsessive, so I suggested to the other ex-player that they guy just might be obsessive about getting every card he has signed.

I asked them about the amount of requests they get and both said they get 5-10 letters a week. One is pretty good about answering, says he reads all the letters. The other does not do TTMs at all, and says he doesn't even open most of the letters, but then again he's wildly successful (real estate) and pretty busy. So if you don't get some responses, even after repeated attempts don't take it personally.

Good luck on your project, you'll have a LOT of fun checking the mail every day.
  • The 1982 Fleer Garvey is probably the best looking, and most in-focus card in that criminally unaesthetic eye sore of a set!!
    Yeah I didn't do my research on the 1988 Swell before I bought it. Looked later and noticed a lot of the guys are deceased. So it's off to the drawing board again!

John
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.