Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Fresh Rips w/ Hits 78-79HK, 87 Big Hurt Blue, BK Update

Getting a bulk sub ready and few cards shy of my 50...SO...I guess I gotta do some ripping.

First up was a pack of 78-79T HK purchased from kencope. I bought 5 and chose the worst looking pack. They were all nice, but this was a little more wrinkled. Hit the Bossy...and a pretty clean one at that.

Will be ripping more over next few days, and will update thread with any hits.

Have decided I will be ripping my 87 PanAm team set looking to see how nice the Frank Thomas is. I found the cello has a small tear in corner, so...we're going fishing. An 8 would be fine, but hoping for 9+. I'll rip that after dessert tomorrow.

For now...here's the Bossy and nice Canadiens team card. Thanks Ken!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the Bossy pull! Just like Orr, he's another guy who had way too short a career. It would be amazing to see where he'd have ended up on the all-time scoring list if he'd have played as long as his contemporary superstars. Surely 700 goals would have been no problem at all, but how far above 800 might he have been able to get? Drafted by Indianapolis a year before Gretzky signed as a free agent with the Racers, imagine if those two had played together. With all due respect to Trottier, a Gretzky-Bossy linemate combo would have been pretty sweet.

• I don't collect hockey but that Bossy is a cool looking piece of cardboard.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice hit! I should've bought some of those hockey packs, stuck with the football. Looking forward to seeing the Thomas.
  • Some guys have all the luck!
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Love the Bossy, if you decide to sell please let me know!

Congrats!
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Here's the Frank Thomas Blue. Not bad. It actually had better centering and color than most of the cards in the pack. However, the back has one word from the card next to it, so I'm guessing an MC qualifier unless per chance they are more forgiving on issues like this.

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    The miscut back is standard for the issue, including the existing PSA 10s; assuming the grader is aware of this, they won't hold it against the card.

I have a set in the form of an uncut sheet; there is absolutely no way to have a 50/50 front and not have a miscut back.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • no issue on the back. Send in that Frank immediately!
    It never leaves you...

• << <i>no issue on the back. Send in that Frank immediately! >>

+1
    Thanks boys! That's reassuring about the back. It'll be leaving on Saturday for Newport.

About to open some 78-79, 79-80, and 81-82 BK over the next few hours in hopes of a few more gradables to complete the sub.

Frank looks pretty good L/R, but how do the judge the Plymouth at the bottom?

Thanks again.
    Jim
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    If you get the wrong grader, you will still get the MC designation.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
    So I pulled one pack of each, 78/78, 79/80, and 81/82. No real star power, but some sharp, pack fresh cards. Need to prep sub Friday so would appreciate opinions in what's worthy to send in.

Started with 79/80. These were the two best, and nice that they're quality players, but no better than a 9 and not likely to make the trip.

Next up was 78/79. Rudy is a 9 at best. The Davis is an RC so maybe. The Bibby and Williams look pretty solid. Thoughts?

Finally, the 81/82 which I saved til last due to Magic and Bird being in the set. Didn't get either, or McHale, but it did yield some solid cards. The Free has a small smudge or two that could hold it back. And the Hayes might sit just a touch low. Not sure on the other two. They can only go if they've got a fair shot at gem. Again, opinions welcomed.

Tomorrow I plan to rip into a couple Traded sets. Nothing too exciting...or at all. Just some 89 Topps and Score BB and an 89 Topps FB.
    Far from exciting, I opened up a few Traded sets. The Score was a bust. Topps fared a little better. But what a great draft class for Seattle.

First half of FB box was centered better than second half. Of course Aikman and Barry were in the second half. Derrick Thomas had a surface wrinkle.

Last up will be a pack (maybe 2) of 78FB.