Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Why does psa not scan photo for us on new cards?

I'm sure a good reason I am missing. It would be nice for psa on all new orders to scan in those cards so when you add to sets then you can have picture loaded already. For those that choose to not share fine. For those that want to hide number a simple process. It would a nice service for the hobby. Any thoughts?

Comments

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    It could be something for them to look into.

Perhaps charge a small fee to scan the cards and send them to you.

One would have to wonder, though, what the quality of the scans would be like and the turnaround time.

I couldn't imagine waiting a few months for an order and then having to wait another for the scans.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Scan the cards before you send them out, I do that anyway in case a card is damaged. If they took the time to scan cards it just seems like it would slow things down even more. I don't want one more step in the process.
  • It may slow things down. But the time savings on my end would huge. Since I am a collector and not looking to sell. The slow down in time from psa is a lesser issue. I would assume they would be able to figure out making the scan of good quality.

• << <i>It may slow things down. But the time savings on my end would huge. Since I am a collector and not looking to sell. The slow down in time from psa is a lesser issue. I would assume they would be able to figure out making the scan of good quality. >>

So it's a burden on your schedule to scan your own cards, but you want PSA to figure out the logistics of scanning hundreds of thousands of cards a year?
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are currently 291 registered sets under the 1986 Fleer Basketball set in the registry.

Of those only 32 have images of the cards or 10.9%.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I am opening a new business. I am going to call it Dennis' PSA card scanning service. Just have PSA send your completed order directly to my
    business address and I'll get them scanned. image
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I like the solution of PSA offering the service for people that want this done. To do it efficiently, they'd need an automated machine to load the slabs in for a two sided scan in one pass. I would not use the service personally because I'm discriminating and want my images just so, adjusting for distortion, etc...
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    it would add another layer of protection though...if ya ran the cert # through the verification bank and the actual card popped up to compare the characteristics. i wouldnt want the process to be slowed down either though. think its a great idea if implemented properly and efficiently.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    it would slow things down even more and the cost would go up.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be just one more opportunity for them to damage my cards. I'd rather do it myself, carefully.

• << <i>

<< <i>It may slow things down. But the time savings on my end would huge. Since I am a collector and not looking to sell. The slow down in time from psa is a lesser issue. I would assume they would be able to figure out making the scan of good quality. >>

So it's a burden on your schedule to scan your own cards, but you want PSA to figure out the logistics of scanning hundreds of thousands of cards a year? >>

Yes, time is money. They are in business to help the hobby and have the best possible product at a good value. If something can be done once then turned on and off based on a fee it would in the long run save a lot of time and cost. If a card gets sold 100 times in a year but is stored in one place. That saves 100 scans. Each owner can choose to opt in or out. This would help with insurance, scams, destroyed cards.

• << <i>There are currently 291 registered sets under the 1986 Fleer Basketball set in the registry.

Of those only 32 have images of the cards or 10.9%. >>

My guess this would be higher if built into the product.

• << <i>I am opening a new business. I am going to call it Dennis' PSA card scanning service. Just have PSA send your completed order directly to my
    business address and I'll get them scanned. image >>

What is your fee?? So if someone offers a quality service for x and my time value is xxxx. If I am a smart business person. I would free up my time and use the service.

• << <i>it would add another layer of protection though...if ya ran the cert # through the verification bank and the actual card popped up to compare the characteristics. i wouldnt want the process to be slowed down either though. think its a great idea if implemented properly and efficiently. >>

Good point. Would make protection of product. Since that was the original scan.

• << <i>it would add another layer of protection though...if ya ran the cert # through the verification bank and the actual card popped up to compare the characteristics. i wouldnt want the process to be slowed down either though. think its a great idea if implemented properly and efficiently. >>

Good point!
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Collectors Universe's PCGS division already offers a service where they will photograph a coin that is submitted for grading for an added fee.

They could/should offer the same service for vintage cards only, not modern. I would pay for the service.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
    Using DBCoin's data PSA is on pace to grade over 1.6 million cards in it's fiscal year. A huge percentage of these cards are being graded by dealers and many will eventually end up online for sale. I am willing to bet the overwhelming majority of those dealers would rather have the cards back faster to be able to get them to market quicker. These same dealers can employ low cost labor to scan the cards for them and would be able to do so cheaper then what PSA would have to charge to offer such a service.

Essentially what you are asking for is to have PSA add another step in it's production process. This would mean adding new scanners, more employees with more labor costs and benefits, longer turn around times, more storage capacity on their servers, and more chance for human error.

The reason I posted the data from the Fleer set is that if you can only get just under 11% of the collectors from the perhaps most actively collected set to post photos it is clearly not what the clients are demanding from PSA. I am someone who does take the time to upload photos to some of my sets and I would have no interest in paying more for PSA to do what I can easily do at home. If such a service was offered you would get an uptick perhaps but I don't believe I have ever heard a collector state that scanning cards was a large obstacle for them to overcome should they want to do so and I can't see it being a huge one.

If PSA were to ever offer such a service it would have to be done as an upgrade service and then the question becomes what are you willing to pay for it. To scan a card and save it can take 30 seconds. Perhaps there are scanners out there with higher performance then a typical at home one but lets use this as a typical scanning turn around time. With the added costs from above they will now need to make a profit on this venture. Their costs could easily be in the $.50 a card range. Would you be willing to pay a $1.00 a card?

The final point I will make is that many collectors send in cards to and of those once again you have very few who would demand this service. In their orders you may have lots of oddball cards that don't fit a set they are collecting or duplicates and you would have to scan an entire order and not just specific cards. I just can't see many wanting to spend another 15% or more for their cards to get graded to have them scanned. There is no way that PSA could easily break up an order and you choose select cards to be scanned so the entire order would be handled under one service level. The next thought would be to send in only the cards you wanted scanned in one order and the others in a separate order but the shipping charges would kill this arbitrage opportunity.

My advice would be to pay an assistant or one of your co workers/employees or perhaps their teenage children to do it for you. You would be able to select the specific cards you want and save money. You would also be able to scan them how you choose as some collectors go with the white background and others a black background.

I actually find scanning my registry cards fun. Let's also remember that many collectors are OCD nut cases who would flip out if PSA scanned their card and it was tilted or something.
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually find scanning my registry cards fun. Let's also remember that many collectors are OCD nut cases who would flip out if PSA scanned their card and it was tilted or something. >>

I am one of those nutcases and I really enjoy scanning and updating my cards into the registry. I made this video for a friend detailing how I scan/size cards to make sure there isn't distortion from the true dimensions. I was sick at the time of this video so excuse my nasal tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSk0mEguxi4&list=UUcpjkIhI7ETyC2FwIvTxsEw
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

<< <i>

<< <i>I actually find scanning my registry cards fun. Let's also remember that many collectors are OCD nut cases who would flip out if PSA scanned their card and it was tilted or something. >>

I am one of those nutcases and I really enjoy scanning and updating my cards into the registry. I made this video for a friend detailing how I scan/size cards to make sure there isn't distortion from the true dimensions. I was sick at the time of this video so excuse my nasal tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSk0mEguxi4&list=UUcpjkIhI7ETyC2FwIvTxsEw >>

I'm one of the nut cases too. It drives me crazy when I see registry scans where the slab is not parallel to the image rectangle.
  • PSA/DNA already scans photos for free when sending in for Type authentication. I believe on the coin side, PCGS charges for scans.

<< <i>PSA/DNA already scans photos for free when sending in for Type authentication. I believe on the coin side, PCGS charges for scans. >>

Trueview

Service fee + $10.

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>it would add another layer of protection though...if ya ran the cert # through the verification bank and the actual card popped up to compare the characteristics. i wouldnt want the process to be slowed down either though. think its a great idea if implemented properly and efficiently. >>

I have been saying that PSA should be doing this for years! Front and Back.

It would effectively create a "fingerprint" of every card that they grade which, combined with the flip #, would almost certainly go a long way to eliminating the possibility of fakes with real cert #s.

The convenience aspect for the registry purposes is secondary.

Dave
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Using DBCoin's data PSA is on pace to grade over 1.6 million cards in it's fiscal year. A huge percentage of these cards are being graded by dealers and many will eventually end up online for sale. I am willing to bet the overwhelming majority of those dealers would rather have the cards back faster to be able to get them to market quicker. These same dealers can employ low cost labor to scan the cards for them and would be able to do so cheaper then what PSA would have to charge to offer such a service.

PSA is grading over 400K cards/qtr or over 2.4M/yr
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>Using DBCoin's data PSA is on pace to grade over 1.6 million cards in it's fiscal year. A huge percentage of these cards are being graded by dealers and many will eventually end up online for sale. I am willing to bet the overwhelming majority of those dealers would rather have the cards back faster to be able to get them to market quicker. These same dealers can employ low cost labor to scan the cards for them and would be able to do so cheaper then what PSA would have to charge to offer such a service.

PSA is grading over 400K cards/qtr or over 2.4M/yr >>

Haha!! I can't multiply
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    agreed w/ the vintage vs modern option. however the more I think about it, the cards exceeding $1000+ or maybe even $5000+ should be scanned to protect both psa and potential buyers. granted it would have to be a perfect scan to appease the ocd's out there. this would make the feasibility of counterfeiting insanely hard.

<< <i>Using DBCoin's data PSA is on pace to grade over 1.6 million cards in it's fiscal year. A huge percentage of these cards are being graded by dealers and many will eventually end up online for sale. I am willing to bet the overwhelming majority of those dealers would rather have the cards back faster to be able to get them to market quicker. These same dealers can employ low cost labor to scan the cards for them and would be able to do so cheaper then what PSA would have to charge to offer such a service.

Dealers grading cards?

<< <i>

Dealers grading cards? >>

I assume you are just being sarcastic.

• So basically you're saying you want to pay $10-$12/card for the lowest tier of grading and have a 4 month turnaround. Yeah, I'll pass.

Lee

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dealers grading cards? >>

I assume you are just being sarcastic. >>

No, seriously. Are dealers grading cards or PSA?
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    PSA recently scanned my PSA/DNA items.

V05685
    V05686

the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• Thanks of the info. I get we all have different goals and levels of quality. Just seems it would make since to have as a option. Seems like they do it some now. If done correctly does not need to slow down anything. At times that may improve the product since offering a service
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Hire a collection manager to scan your cards for you.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need more threads complaining about things. This would be great.

"Why do they charge $X just to scan my cards when I can do it myself?" blah blah blah

This is the first time I've seen anyone complain/suggest such a thing so my first guess is the demand isn't there. But who knows.

I could see it becoming increasingly advantageous for PSA to do it for cards valued over $X in order to help eliminate the different card/correct cert issue mentioned previously. But I would think that value point would be ~$1,000 and would eliminate a majority of submissions.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Funny, I was just wondering the other day why PSA doesn't just grade the cards, scan the cards, list them on eBay, subtract the grading fees and return the balance of proceeds to me... This way, I just pay the shipping of my cards to PSA and get paid a few weeks later... Yeah, I was wondering that. And wondering why we have to be assigned seats when we fly on airplanes, but it is a free-for-all on trains and buses?

I think, in order to fit in, I'll begin posting simple stream of consciousness thoughts and random ideas that haven't been thought through...

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like somebody isn't feeling very thankful. image

• << <i>We need more threads complaining about things. This would be great.

"Why do they charge $X just to scan my cards when I can do it myself?" blah blah blah

This is the first time I've seen anyone complain/suggest such a thing so my first guess is the demand isn't there. But who knows.

I could see it becoming increasingly advantageous for PSA to do it for cards valued over $X in order to help eliminate the different card/correct cert issue mentioned previously. But I would think that value point would be ~$1,000 and would eliminate a majority of submissions. >>

Do not see as complaining but asking for a service help. It may be something that will not work. But never hurts to talk thru.