Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pick-Ups: 1966 Topps Hockey USA Test

When I collected cards years ago I chased perfection. I didn't have many cards because I spent too much money, and time, obtaining mint examples, which always put restraints on what I could afford. Low grade for me would not do. From cars, women, cards, I put more emphasis on looks than anything else. I wanted mint everything.

I took years off collecting cards and got back into it when I thought it'd be a nice idea to build a set of cards with my one year old son.

So in July I figured a good set to build would be Superman Gum, 1940. Kinda can't go wrong with Superman, so I'm sure he'll love it as he gets older.

My only criteria for the PSA set is low-grade (PSA 1-3) for two reasons: 1) to introduce and instill in him the joy of collecting vs the value of perfection (value used as a noun in the ethical sense) and 2) to save money as a PSA 1-3 Superman Gum set can run around $5,000 vs a higher grade set, which can easily run $30k+

Since the first card I gave him on his first birthday, I've picked-up seven more Superman cards for him.

Collecting Superman cards is a blast. I take periodic breaks on auctions because I don't want to buy too much too soon, after all, it's our set to build. This has taught me patience, something I didn't possess in my earlier collecting days. I also inadvertently taught myself the joy of collecting. Vince Lombardi once said, "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." and I think this holds true to the idea of "buy the card, not the holder".

Instead of making a new thread for each of my low-grade pick-ups, I'm going to follow the example of other board members who contain them all in one thread.

I'm going to keep my 1989 Topps Hockey PSA 10 set from scratch updated here: 1989 Topps Hockey PSA 10 Set Thread While I'm collecting more low-grade cards now, this project hasn't changed.

Here's what I've picked-up so far: Eight 1940 Superman Gum cards and two beautifully centered Gretzky 1979 OPC rookies.

Wanted to add a Tiger Woods RC without breaking the bank, so I picked-up this PSA 4. The Bossy was $8 (shipping included) vs $50+ for a PSA 9 example.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Sweet! Love em all. Superman set is really, really cool. Great Gretzky's. Bossy looks like a great 7 to me.

That looks like the Tiger I was watching earlier this week, with eBay Bucks and Coupon...but decided I wasn't ready to roll into Golf just yet and had other priorities.

Perfection for me is the right card at the right price whether that's a 1 or a 10.

Looking forward to seeing more goodness.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea Pat!

Tho I'm doing a 63F set with an eye to the ridiculous. Other sets are more in the vg-ex range...sets like 66T e.g.

I'm going to do my first "player set" of Snider - it'll be in the Ex range for the pricey old cards for sure.

Those Superman cards are sweet! If there were a nonsport set that I would like to do? That would be it.
    Mike
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Those Superman cards are awesome. That is how they should look in my opinion. I like vintage cards to look vintage.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!

This just came in the mail today. Thought I'd add it in with a recent BBCE order. It's the first graded pack I've held in person and I love the protection/display of the PSA case. Sigh, now I'm hooked on slabbed packs...

Updated Bossy PSA 7 image (it arrived in the mail today too).

• Options

• Options

<< <i> Sigh, now I'm hooked on PSA slabs >>

Uh oh! Packs are perty.

Nice stuff. Cool boxes.
    Jim
  • Options
    Going through some old boxes this Thanksgiving and found my only two remaining signed hockey pucks. At one time I had a collection of over 400 signed hockey pucks, displayed on three bookshelves. One of my neighbors growing up was Gord Broseker (longtime NHL official) and my sister was good friends with his daughter, so I always pestered them for pucks.

When I was in college I sold probably 90% of my entire sports memorabilia and card collection and gave away maybe 9% to friends and fellow hockey teammates. If I knew a Patrick I'd probably have given these away, too. Anyways, the Howe was a TTM YEARS ago. At the time I thought it was Gordie but when I found out that his wife signed a lot of TTM items for him during her life, doubt settled in my mind. No big deal any way as I'm happy to have it signed by the Howe family and I'm glad I ended up keeping it. The Hull was picked up in person. I met him twice, once in Michigan and the other in Richmond. One of the best signers I ever met. Truly a great guy and gentleman, always gracious to pose with pictures and sign away. Glad I kept it, too.

Opinions on the Howe?

• Options
    Big thank you to Davis for PMing me about this auction. When I opened the PM there was only 2 minutes left! Snagged it up. My first OPC raw Gretzky. Love the centering on it and it has the blue first print lines. Will be happy with any grade "Authentic" and up.

Not in hand yet, so don't know if the card is at an angle or possibly trimmed. I'm OK either way. If there's evidence of trimming I may hold off and have it signed whenever Gretzky does another signing.

• Options
    Nice card. And the Howe auto is good!
  • Options

<< <i>Big thank you to Davis for PMing me about this auction. When I opened the PM there was only 2 minutes left! Snagged it up. My first OPC raw Gretzky. Love the centering on it and it has the blue first print lines. Will be happy with any grade "Authentic" and up.

Not in hand yet, so don't know if the card is at an angle or possibly trimmed. I'm OK either way. If there's evidence of trimming I may hold off and have it signed whenever Gretzky does another signing.

image >>

WOW! Perfect crease placement! GREAT pickup!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    One of my favorite Bossy cards. EX-MT but great centering and love the OPC cut. I'll get it slabbed as soon as I can. Might start building another Bossy registry set, focus on centered, low grade cards.

• Options
    Nice looking card there. I like the design of those all star cards.
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 79 bossy is a good pickup, that card is always off L/R. Bet it gets a 7 at PSA due to centering and presents better then most 8s.
  • Options
    Added this 1982 OPC Hockey empty box to my box collection. Signed by Wayne Gretzky and PSA/DNA authenticated

• Options
    Interesting item!
  • Options
    The Gretzky arrived today and here is a scan of the front and back. It doesn't seem to lineup correctly against my others, and when I lay it on my commercial paper cutter (ironic) it seems to be just a tad bit off. Not an expert on trimmed cards, so I don't know. Will probably send to PSA and see if it can get an "Authentic" grade (if possible)? Or hold onto it and have it signed when Gretzky comes out of his shell and does another private signing. Overall, I am very happy with the addition.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

• Options
    The recent PSA/DNA group sub reminded me of this possible Edith Piaf handwritten letter I found in an old WWII Vet's scrapbook.

While researching Piaf I found out that she dated boxing champion Marcel Cerdan...then, while researching Cerdan, I found this PSA 1 1948 Leaf for $15 and thought it be a nice addition. This is my first boxing card as well as my first Leaf. Loving these cards and think I'll pickup some more inexpensive ones from all sports and non-sports.

• Options
    1970 OJ Simpson RC PSA 1 arrived today and here is the scan. Overall happy with the pickup and fits nicely in my collection. Thank you for everyone's input on OJ Simpson cards in this thread.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1970 OJ Simpson RC PSA 1 arrived today and here is the scan. Overall happy with the pickup and fits nicely in my collection. >>

I love pinholes for low technical grade gems.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>1970 OJ Simpson RC PSA 1 arrived today and here is the scan. Overall happy with the pickup and fits nicely in my collection. >>

I love pinholes for low technical grade gems. >>

+1,000,000!
  • Options
    Picked this 1980 OPC Gretzky up tonight from Martin Sports Cards.

It's in a KSA 3 holder and I'm going to crack and sub it to PSA so it can be in one of theirs.

Main reason I went with this card is because it's very tough to find centered.

• Options

<< <i>Picked this 1980 OPC Gretzky up tonight from Martin Sports Cards.

It's in a KSA 3 holder and I'm going to crack and sub it to PSA so it can be in one of theirs.

image >>

I would be careful doing this.

I have purchased many cards from Martin Sports before and all the BVG, and KSA cards that I have tried to cross over have all come backed trimmed.

Tom
    TommyJ
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Picked this 1980 OPC Gretzky up tonight from Martin Sports Cards.

>>

I would be careful doing this.

I have purchased many cards from Martin Sports before and all the BVG, and KSA cards that I have tried to cross over have all come backed trimmed.

Tom >>

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to measure it and see if it fits my other PSA 250. This card has always had bad centering and tilting and it's very possible that it could have been trimmed a bit to make it appear nicer than it is. We'll see what it looks like in person.
  • Options
    Just picked this up about 10 minutes ago from Tom (tsalems1) for a very fair price and couldn't resist posting it.

Most '78 Bossys have bad centering and/or tilts. This card has a very slight tilt, but I think it actually benefits the overall appearance of the card.

Again, thank you Tom!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martin sports is known for sheet cutting cards, and it's pretty easy to tell which OPC cards are from sheets. They aren't into altering, and there is 0 percent chance that #250 has been trimmed or cut from a sheet. Flipped against the wall a few hundred times, yes. Ran over by a 5 ton cube van, maybe. Trimmed, no.
  • Options
    Picked up my first four 1966 Topps USA Test cards for a low-grade set I'm building. The Mahovlich and Hadfield were purchased using eBay Bucks.

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen '66 test cards before Patrick. Very cool.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That'll be a fun set to put together, good luck! I'm not sure how much the Orr will run you but even in a PSA 1 it will be a relatively expensive acquisition.

• Options

<< <i>That'll be a fun set to put together, good luck! I'm not sure how much the Orr will run you but even in a PSA 1 it will be a relatively expensive acquisition. >>

Thanks guys. Yeah, I wonder what the VCP on an Orr Test PSA 1 / SGC 10 runs. Plan on that being the last card I pick-up (unless an incredible deal comes a long).
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Patrick,

Many, many thanks for displaying your gorgeous Edith Piaf letter with her very neat and elegant signature. I first saw Edith when her "Deaths of Notable People" entry appeared in the World Book Encyclopedia annual yearbook. I was a tween and had no idea of her significance, but I kept her name in mine.

Occasionally, through my life I ran across bits about this courageous, tragic woman. Once, while watching a PBS show on the "Best of Ed Sullivan", there was a clear black 'n white complete performance of Miss Piaf singing her signature song, "La Vie En Rose". I sat enthralled. She was magnificent. It is up to you, but I would get that Piaf letter PSA/DNAed, as a complete unit of course. It is a treasure, and I have a feeling very valuable. With the right kind of outlet, you might raise sufficient funds to purchase a high grade 1966 Topps TEST Bobby Orr. One that might have even pleased the old Patrick. If you wish to keep your Edith Piaf letter, I don't blame you in the least. If it turns out that it is not as valuable as the Orr, it ought to be. Regardless, thanks again, collecting bro, for displaying it. Paired with the Leaf card of French boxer Marcel Cerdan, who was the love of Edith's life, was brilliant. Do please get the document translated. --Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options
    Thank you Brian for the comments and your experience watching Edith Piaf.

Indeed, if slabbed it would be a big ticket item. Enough to fund an Orr Test, or two image

I wholeheartedly believe the letter is authentic, however, I have no idea what PSA will think.

When I first acquired the letter I looked up Edith Piaf on eBay and compared her signature with other examples, as well as some inscribed pieces. The handwriting doesn't match the letter.

Normally, I'd have stopped there, but, intrigued, I dug further. I looked up the handwritten address on the bottom and found out that that was the location to The Versailles night club, where I read Edith had her big US performance/break.

Then I found online where her handwritten, private letters recently went for auction.

After examining photos of these letters written at about the same time of the Versailles letter, BINGO. The handwriting matches.

I'm sending it in, for sure, with the group sub that's taking place here. Just hoping PSA doesn't compare it solely to the "fan signatures" that are much more commonly found.

Translated, the letter reads:

I would be very happy to meet you at my evening at Versailles on September 22.

Sincerely yours,

Edith Piaf

151 East 50 St
    Plaza 80310

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    Patrick,

Thanks for responding, bro, and for the translation.

Perhaps it would be prudent to discuss your research with the appropriate PSA autograph customer service representative who could advise you on submitting the Edith Piaf letter. Glad you dug deeper, and am thrilled her letter seems to be right on. I also thought that having it framed with an exquisite-looking portrait or performance photograph (a copy might suffice, depending on the quality of the copy), and even the translation tastefully placed, or at least accompanying the piece, would make it all the more appealing and valuable. I picture a very moving display that will actually bring tears to the eyes of anyone who knows about Miss Piaf and reveres her voice.

PSA must certainly be mature about taking your research seriously. After all, you tracked down her known, unquestionably authentic letters and the handwriting matches! I will pray for you, Patrick, that you have an outstanding outcome to this. Have a good day. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

PS--------------If PSA will not work with you, then go elsewhere and contact the auction house who handled the selling of her handwritten, private letters. After all, find out whom serious, affluent autograph collectors trust and admire before they lay down their barrels of cash. PSA is the authority on sports autographs, I feel, but maybe this one is out of their league. No disrespect to PSA, honest.