Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WHAT THE ****!?!?!?!? Hank Aaron rookie card!!

WOW!! Now I really wish I had my SGC 7 back that I sold for $1,700!!! What in the world?!?!?!?!

Aaron

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    That is a sharp one!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Bobby ... probably the best 6.5 you or I will ever see. I agree it's a CRAZY price for a 6.5. Maybe the bidder thinks he can get a full point bump? A 7.5 is worth $5.5 Grand.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>WOW!! Now I really wish I had my SGC 7 back that I sold for $1,700!!! What in the world?!?!?!?!

Aaron >>

Would you SGC have crossed over?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    this thread never existed!

I've been buying all the centered ones I can for a lil while now. but glad to see this price, but wanted to pick up a few more before the explosion occurs...one of the most undervalued cards out there.
  • Options

<< <i>Bobby ... probably the best 6.5 you or I will ever see. I agree it's a CRAZY price for a 6.5. Maybe the bidder thinks he can get a full point bump? A 7.5 is worth $5.5 Grand. >>

I agree. Amazing color on that. Makes you wonder what kept it from grading higher really
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    million dollar scans.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree. Amazing color on that. Makes you wonder what kept it from grading higher really >>

Corners look great and surface looks phenomenal. I am guess the slight centering shift to the right and the slight chipping in the green on the reverse is what gave it the grade it did? Don't see it getting the '7'. My SGC 7 would have been an easy cross. Card might be undervalued, but this price is ridiculous.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree. Amazing color on that. Makes you wonder what kept it from grading higher really >>

Corners look great and surface looks phenomenal. I am guess the slight centering shift to the right and the slight chipping in the green on the reverse is what gave it the grade it did? Don't see it getting the '7'. My SGC 7 would have been an easy cross. Card might be undervalued, but this price is ridiculous. >>

Just curious. If yours was an easy cross to PSA why in the world didn't you do that before you sold it?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is definitely what concerns me about the prices of cards. You have A LOT of people chasing multiples and multiples of rookie cards of Aaron, Brett, Schmidt, Yaz, etc. I wonder if there really is enough TRUE demand anywhere near these price levels. >>

As you said, there are "A LOT" of guys out there who want more than one beautiful example of the hobby's key cards-- that definitely constitutes demand, especially when added to guys who'd be happy with just one. I'd say the demand is just as real, the money just as green, whether there are ten guys who each want ten or a hundred guys who each want one. Plus I'd venture there are serious underbidders for every one of those centered Aaron RC, Brett RCs, Schmidt RCs, Mantles, etc., that wind up in the hands of a collector that has more than one. Even if someone holding a bunch of nicely centered Aaron RCs or Ryan RCs across a variety of grades decided to sell them all at once, I'm betting they will be gobbled up and not cause prices to drop. Now a common player in high grade for a Registry Set, whole different story image

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

<< <i>Just curious. If yours was an easy cross to PSA why in the world didn't you do that before you sold it? >>

I am not a big fan of the crackout game Ralph. While I have done it before, I can count the times I have on one hand.
  • Options
    As you said, there are "A LOT" of guys out there who want more than one beautiful example of the hobby's key cards-- that definitely constitutes demand, especially when added to guys who'd be happy with just one. The demand is just as real, the money just as green, whether there are ten guys who each want ten or a hundred guys who each want one. Plus I'd venture there are serious underbidders for every one of those centered Aaron RC, Brett RCs, Schmidt RCs, Mantles, etc., that wind up in the hands of a collector that has more than one. >>

very true. some folks are content with just having that one. I am not one of these folks. whether it's this '54 aaron or the '14 roger dorn, I like to have multiples. let's you appreciate all the different aspects and helps you determine the true gem of your collection when you are looking at several in hand. funny thing is it might not be that 9 or 10. could be that 5.5 that makes ya smile.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besgu, my friend, we park our cars in the same collecting garage.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    This thread needs pictures.

That 6.5 is nice. It looks like an 8 from the scan.

Matt

• Options

<< <i>I agree that it constitutes demand, but where were all these fickle buyers just a few years ago when all of these cards could have been bought at a fraction of the prices today? Just as easily as that demand was created due to hype, Fed easing, stock market returns, etc., it can go away just as easily. And when a person with dozens or hundreds of a card decides to divest, there is by no means any guarantee that a strong support will exist. It's not like a stock where the business returns a certain profit and that creates a hard floor on the price.

As for the Aaron card, I have seen hundreds of examples and have yet to lay eyes on even one that I would want to own because they are pretty much an eyesore, whether they were graded a 5 or a 10. People are buying up a lot of off centered and/or rough cut Aaron rookies. >>

agreed for the most part. most of the aarons on the market are way oc and mc. however i'm into the cards like the 6.5 above. that thing pops with color, clean white borders, has wonderful centering and zero phish eyes. and while the economy does play a part for collectibles, I would think most collectors who own dozens of this particular card would not need to nor should divest all of them at once. rather let them trickle 1 x 1 starting w/ the lowest eye appealing card to the nicest which actually could drive the market a tad. but, yes as we have all seen in the past...anything can happen (either way).

beautiful 6.5 lil weed! now, is it for sale? ; )
  • Options
    MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW!! Now I really wish I had my SGC 7 back that I sold for $1,700!!! What in the world?!?!?!?!

Aaron >>

How much did it sell for? I can't see the price when I follow the link. Thanks.
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

<< <i>beautiful 6.5 lil weed! now, is it for sale? ; ) >>

I wish I was the owner, but I am not.

A great buy (based on the scan), whoever did purchase it.

Matt

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 6.5 blows away the 7 in terms of eye appeal, not even close.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The auction closed at 10:30 CST. It that normal for a Legendary Auction?
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is definitely what concerns me about the prices of cards. You have A LOT of people chasing multiples and multiples of rookie cards of Aaron, Brett, Schmidt, Yaz, etc. I wonder if there really is enough TRUE demand anywhere near these price levels. >>

+1
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>The auction closed at 10:30 CST. It that normal for a Legendary Auction? >>

Legendary closes on a lot by lot basis I believe. It doesn't drag on into the night like some of the auctions do.
  • Options
    a nicely centered, rash of 54 aarons (various grades) just hit the block at pwcc....

gonna watch this one from the sidelines and see where the market currently is.

all are good for the grade and should do pretty good!
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    I own quite a few PSA 6s and 7s from this era, and I can say pretty confidently that 6.5 Aaron is definitely on the high end if not better than most of my cards.

If I owned that thing, I would absolutely send it back for review unless there's something on the surface we can't really see. The corners look really nice, most of my 7s have some sort of touch or two and this one looks solid.

Eye appeal is off the charts on that thing.
  • Options
    I received a 6.5 on my Lemieux rookie that looked like this (an 8+). It came down to 3 minute touches on the corners that could only be seen with 5X magnification.
    I would say with this one, it's the bottom 2 corners and top right.