Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2014 Panini Flawless Football - Anyone buying?

2014 Panini Flawless Football hits this Friday. I've been going back and forth on this product. If I buy it, I won't be buying any Topps Chrome this year.

The checklist looks tight with only the top 20 rookies, but at almost $1300/box, I'm not sure if it is worth it.

The 2014 Rookie Class is much stronger than 2013. The top end isn't as strong as 2012 (mainly due to Luck and Russell), but there are some solid QBs and WRs.

Any thoughts?
Mike

Comments

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    eek...at that cost

why no chrome this year?? i would think with the end in sight for chrome, all chrome would be pretty hot?
  • Options
    I'm a Chrome guy till there's no Chrome no mo. And as much as I'd like to spend that kind of money on a modern box, my insanity just hasn't yet crossed over into that territory.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is holding me back is complete lack of creativity in a $1300/box product. The gem feature is nice but I don't see that adding much value outside of player collectors. The cards have a lot of white and remind me of National Treasures.

HOWEVER.....I can see our insane hobby going crazy for it.
    Mike
  • Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I am getting a box that I got for a bit less than the current price. I will have either Friday or Saturday...Ill post results here when I break.
  • Options
    Based on the odds and packs, I think there is 3200 or so total boxes printed. Are there 3200 gamblers in our hobby? I think this will sell out, but I'm still not sure if the value is there.

I've been cracking 2012 Exquisite FB whenever I find a good price. I've pulled a couple of 1 of 1's, a bunch of nice patch autographs, and college stars that sell for decent coin (Tebow, Bo, etc). Same with 2014 Trinity. I usually get 50%-60% min back with many boxes yielding 200%. For Flawless, the top rookie autos for Flawless would have to go for $1000+ since I don't see the other veteran autos go for more than $200-$300 max.
    Mike
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    If my LCS has a group break I'll get in .. they had it for basketball and that was a huge dud
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    With only 10 cards per box, a group break has to be tough if it done by team. A lot of people must have walked away with nothing.
    Mike
  • Options
    only 10 went in each time no one really hit anything big either time
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    At 1300 bucks a box, count me out.
  • Options
    Just saw a few breaks on Blowout. Painful. I saw maybe $300-$500 in value from most boxes. This will be at $750/box product after the MAP ends.
    Mike
  • Options
    They no longer have MAPP. Elite football was priced $6 over cost the weekend that it came out.
  • Options

<< <i>They no longer have MAPP. Elite football was priced $6 over cost the weekend that it came out. >>

OK. First stop $1100 after this weekend.
    Mike
  • Options
    My LCS is ripping some tomorrow ... Inetrested to see how this goes
  • Options
    That was a train wreck
  • Options
    Picked up my box today. I was pleased overall. Cards are very nice!

Will be putting all on ebay tonight for the quick turnaround.

Andre Williams Jumbo Patch 1/15

Tim Wright Auto 19/20

Aaron Dobson Auto 6/15

Andre Ellington Auto 1/15

Jason Witten Auto 10/10

Eric Dickerson Patch Auto 18/25

EJ Manuel Patch Auto (dirty patch!) 23/25

Jadeveon Clowney RC Auto 9/15

Antonio Gates Emerald Base 1/5

Barry Sanders Dual Patch Auto 2/15
  • Options
    You did better than most with the Clowney and Barry Auto. Let us know how the auctions end, I'm guessing the total sales will be $700.
    Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    What's MAP?
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's MAP? >>

I am not an authority. My guess it is a minimum pricing program of some sort. Lots of manufacturers in other industries (Oakley, Apple for instance) will not allow authorized retailers to sell for below a minimum price. The retailer can sell for more than the manufacturers minimum price but not below. This protects the value of the product in question.

I don't see how people can make money on this product by breaking it. Very high risk (theoretically) high reward product. I won't buy the product unless it will be an individual player after someone else breaks it. I collect basketball and I love the Flawless product. I purchased two Anthony Davis autographed cards (numbered /10) for about $200 each last year. That is probably the best RC auto in the set (Kyrie Irving is the only other possible candidate). How can you make money on a break if that's the return on the top rookie auto?
    Steve
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    1300 bucks for those ten cards?
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    That EJ Manuel is really nice. I love the dirty patch.

The autographs look to be done by hand. Are the players really signing these all by hand? or is the printing just that good? Sorry if this is a dumb question...
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's MAP? >>

MAP is Minimum Advertised Price and it occurs in a lot of industries to keep stores/businesses from devaluing items in the marketplace. While a manufacturer cannot legally tell a business how much they can sell it for they can limit them to not advertising below a certain price and not doing Bogo's(buy one get one) or other types of deals.

Say Best Buy decided to start seliing the IPad mini for $149 and everyone else has it for $299 - what do you think everyone else would have to do to keep their sales? When that happens the value of the mini plummets for those businesses that brought it in to sell it.
  • Options

<< <i>1300 bucks for those ten cards? >>

I didnt pay 1300, but boxes are going for about that.

Dealer cost i believe was 830. Opening boxes is of course a huge risk if you are looking for profit, but this product gives a better percentage return than most and its easy to sell since its so few cards. This is better to break IMO than cases that have so much unsaleable base cards. If i sell everything I would expect 75% return on the cards which is better than most products.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice Witten and Sanders. I'll watch these from the sidelines.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    This is my problem with Panini, for a $1300 a box, there is now way Aaron Dobson and Timothy Wright should be in the product. There are enough starters in the NFL to fill out this set. Also why aren't all the jewel cards autographed? It seems strange to have an autographed event worn patch card autographed but not the highlght of the box.

Like I said before 2014 Leaf Trinity did a much better job at a high end patch auto product. The patches were interesting and the inscriptions were great. Plus it is only $125/box.

Mike