Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hauls of Shame

Does anyone know how/why the Hauls of Shame web site got started? They seem to have a real axe to grind with PSA and the folks across the street.
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    In before poof.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Not sure, but I thought the intent was to uncover the story about the collector who had hundreds or thousands of old-time original photographs, mainly baseball-related. Turns out the guy had been stealing them for years from the NY Public Library & Boston Public Library. Maybe over time it morphed into fraud in the collectibles industry, or at least, items for which the original provenience seems dubious or cannot be proven.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In before poof. >>

+1, best not to even mention that site here.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Net54 has free discussion; best to ask there. Otherwise, I shall keep Steppin' To The AM.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Net54 has free discussion; best to ask there. Otherwise, I shall keep Steppin' To The AM. >>

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In before poof. >>

Yeah, I figure that will happen but I may see some replies in the meantime. Just seems that guy has some kind of personal vendetta and not just interested in reporting.
    Daniel
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems in our world today-- and even in the baseball card collecting hobby-- it is very hard to parse information from spin. Even when there is a kernel or more of genuine factual information, it gets tangled up with an agenda. Interesting that in this "Information Age," we have an abundance of information flowing in myriad directions, yet it is hard to find the truth.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    well said Matt.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that in this "Information Age," we have an abundance of information flowing in myriad directions, yet it is hard to find the truth. >>

Wow, no truer words have been spoken.

Give me the good old days when communication meant looking a person in the eyes and learning where they are from and the journey they have travelled.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Never heard of the site until this thread. Read a little of it and would say that I dont believe they have an axe to grind with PSA. They seem to have an axe to grind with the industry in general and since PSA is one of the most widely used authenticators, it stands to reason that they would have a larger share of the stories with their name involved.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hauls of Shame is such an interesting site. Peter Nash is incredibly knowledgeable on memorabilia and collecting in general. He seemingly does a lot of great work exposing thefts and frauds in various auctions. He is relentless about identifying items stolen from various libraries and the HOF. He is relentless in going after the legacy of Barry Halper. And yet...

You gotta remember that Nash has also admitted committing fraud. He's been sued and lost. He's got a tax judgment against him. And so you find yourself questioning his credibility on just about everything.

And he was a very successful rapper for awhile (yes, this is really him).
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems in our world today-- and even in the baseball card collecting hobby-- it is very hard to parse information from spin. Even when there is a kernel or more of genuine factual information, it gets tangled up with an agenda. Interesting that in this "Information Age," we have an abundance of information flowing in myriad directions, yet it is hard to find the truth. >>

Magicians call it mis direction.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".