Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My New Babe

No, I'm not getting divorced. Nor am I shagging my boss (hi Tommy).

Finally reeled this bad boy in, my new Ruth RC: the M101-4 with the Gimbels back. Any of you "Elf" fans, Gimbels was the department store in the movie. But whatever. This has been the hunt that seems like it never would end. This card is so tough to find without the common issues: the white print line through Babe's midsection; the black print dots; and worst of all, the terrible L/R centering. I wondered if I would ever find one without those issues, and then...I finally did. While I prefer to have all my cards PSA, I made an exception with this one given how nice it was for the grade and its fantastic eye appeal. And I am super, super excited!

Huge thanks to two fine gentleman. Leon, thanks for your extra set of eyes at National. That's where this all started. Really great getting to know you a little better. And, Matt. Matt had his own research notes having purchased his own, and I really appreciated his thoughts and input. Really helpful when all was said and done.

I hope you won't mind my bumping down the Ripken/moral philosophy thread, but even you Platos and Nietzsches deserve a break. Hope you enjoy the scans. Freshly reholdered, too.

Comments

• Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    That is a big time card. Congrats on the pickup sir!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>That is a big time card. Congrats on the pickup sir!!!!! >>

+1
  • Options
    Wow! That is an awesome card. Congrats on the pick up.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow what a great looking card. That is so awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely stunning card! Presents far better than the actual grade!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    holy grail, that's a good looking card! congrats!!!
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dan!
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Dan. Was my pleasure to help such a passionate fellow collector. The card is simply outstanding. It may very well be the best M101 in the hobby, in my opinion, no matter what the stickers say.

We felt the same frustration in seeking a Ruth RC that was both dead centered and did not have the dreaded print line; very happy that your journey ended with such a rewarding and positive outcome-- that card will probably be your favorite piece forever, bro! Major, major CONGRATS!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Not only a gorgeous card but a classic Ruth pose. Beautiful!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    by George, i think you've got it.
  • Options
    Lord that thing is sick. Wooza!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Incredible!! image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Holy Crap Dan! What a card ... almost 100 years old and clean as can be. Enjoy that card for years to come!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!. Just wow!

One day I will have a vintage Ruth card. One day.

Shane

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Amazing card buddy!! Glad you got it. Can't wait to see it in person!!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I hope you won't mind my bumping down the Ripken/moral philosophy thread, but even you Platos and Nietzsches deserve a break. Hope you enjoy the scans. Freshly reholdered, too. >>

A post that mentions BOTH Plato and Nietzche, who would have thunk it?
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Congrats..this is why I love this board. Not only do you get to see PSA 1 1988 Donruss Mike Lavalliere but you are able to see cards that RARELY surface in the general public. Thanks Dan
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    great card Dan!

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Since I will never be fortunate enough to own such a fantastic card, I appreciate you sharing. It's one of the things that makes this forum great. Thank you.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    That is a top-notch pick up, Congrats!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I got you Babe!!! All we need are some Patron shots and we're all set.

Amazing pickup Dan. Definitely a centerpiece to the collection. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about the different variations of the back and the print line issue. Is there any literature on this card someone can offer for me to read-up on?

Beautiful card and congrats. Great job to those who helped him pick this up.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    W-O-W!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW!! That is one awesome and iconic card. Congratulations!!!!

Jeremy
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know about the different variations of the back and the print line issue. Is there any literature on this card someone can offer for me to read-up on?

Beautiful card and congrats. Great job to those who helped him pick this up. >>

The set was printed with a slew of different ad backs for distribution to customers-- the companies range from boys' clothing companies to The Sporting News. Others never got an ad printed on them and remained blank backs. Some backs are rarer than others, but what drives the pricing most of one M101 Ruth over another is its centering and the absence of the usual horizontal print line. I have only seen a handful (including mine and now Dan's) that possess both these attributes. There was the Ware's back, a 4, and two 6s that come to mind right off the bat that were centered with no print line.

Another issue with the M101 Ruth rookie card is that it is prone to sepia-like toning on the front; it is exceedingly hard to find a bright white example with a card that old. Has to have been stored in a lucky place/climate.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know about the different variations of the back and the print line issue. Is there any literature on this card someone can offer for me to read-up on?

Beautiful card and congrats. Great job to those who helped him pick this up. >>

Patrick-here is an article that has some good info:

M101

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice card. Really wish SGC hadn't changed their label though image
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Wow
    Fantastic
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    Legendary.

CONGRATS!
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    Just a gorgeous card!

Congrats!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I got you Babe!!! image >>

OH NO, Mike is a Sonny and Cher fan!!!!!! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    That was a great read Dan, thanks for the link.

Are you collecting the set, or others from it?
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous card. Congratulations. Your card and Matty's look incredible. The horizontal print line (sometimes two of them) is really difficult to avoid.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Sweet pickup!

Thank you for sharing too.

aconte
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    That is one fine card, thanks for sharing image

I didn't realize SGC changed their holder. The label is a bit minimalist compared to the previous style.
  • Options
    Agreed on the minimalist style; that's why I am really digging the new flip. Their presentation is just fantastic with the black, especially against white bordered cards. Since they changed flip I've been leaning toward crossing cards over myself.

• Options
    Not horrible Dan image

Glad to see that it wound up where it's supposed to be. that was quite the hunt indeed!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez Dan - that's just incredible!

My favorite Ruth card by far - the image is iconic. You're my new hero!
    Mike
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    eh.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Wowzer! That is an epic card.
  • Options
    How much was shipping?
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Options
    Now that is a hell of a card. That and Matt's might be the two best looking in the hobby. Every other one I have seen has been terribly OC.

Well done!
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely gorgeous card, Dan, congratulations. I'd love to see you start a thread of the "Top 10" cards in your collection -- now that would be fun to take a look at!
  • Options
    Congrats! I used to own a PSA 4 blank but had the print line. Your card is very nice without the print defect.

Jason
    I primarily collect vintage baseball and some football cards.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Speechless. >>

+1
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i>Lord that thing is sick. Wooza! >>

paging mr. bessette. paging mr. bessette. please find the nearest courtesy phone for a message from your private party.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words, guys. I agree it's great that people post everything on this board, regardless of price paid. Really, if you love it, post it. Price doesn't really matter.

No, I am not collecting the set. I'm a singles guy--don't really do sets.

As for shipping, I asked for the 2-star treatment, which did cost me a fiver. I just couldn't go 1-star/$3 shipping and end up like this: