Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1954 Topps Hank Aaron rookie PSA 8, is this a new record?

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    uhhh....yea....over double the going rate.
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    This card was less than $5k not long ago. There was one with a Buy It Now for about $4,800 that just sat there forever. I always thought that the card was undervalued.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! Prior to that sale the highest recorded on VCP was about half of that ($8,600.00) ... which sold 2 weeks prior by the same seller!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I like the side to side centering, but it seems to favor the bottom border. I would think if that card was going to set a record at double what the previous high has been, THAT card would not have been the one to do it. Maybe it is just a fluke for the one card, and you can still pick up a nicer looking example for around $6,000-$8,000. However, old Hammerin Hank ain't getting any younger, unfortunately.....
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The winning bidder has 37 feedbacks, and the underbidder has over 900. Hope the sale goes through for the seller.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's amazing.

Nice card. But...wow!
    Mike
  • Options
    Agree w/Bobby; it's very surprising that this was the example that shattered the previous record. Noticeable tilt and o/c toward the bottom.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I am in the market for a nice example Aaron rookie in a PSA 8. I knew the card was going to sell for a ton of money because of the seller, but that card is not worth the $16K IMO. I believe the Aaron is a $10K card and a premium should be placed on a well centered example. I have only seen one that I really like over the past couple of years. Hopefully ClockAngel will cough it up one day to me. image
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The winning bidder has 37 feedbacks, and the underbidder has over 900. Hope the sale goes through for the seller. >>

I bid on a few Mantles from the 50's in 8's in PWCC auctions that were very good for the grade and there were people bidding with under 40 and some with 0 feedback. Not saying but just saying. Seems to be happening a lot with their auctions, and would love to send the some cards to sell for me and see if the prices do the same.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hopefully ClockAngel will cough it up one day to me. image >>

I'm right in line with you for that one, LOL! Good eye you got there, 54!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Crazy price but the slight tilt would drive me nuts.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    It's clean, but the L/R centering tilt is definitely there. Does not have a rough cut edge (as many 8s seem to have),
    but not sure what justifies this much of a bump in value. PWCC sold on in 8/2013 that was much nicer for $9k. I think
    there was another sale last year that VCP could not read from one of the AH's that went for $10k with the BP.

In today's market I can see a $10k-$11k price for a solid copy of this card in PSA 8. Am I missing something?

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>In today's market I can see a $10k-$11k price for a solid copy of this card in PSA 8. Am I missing something? >>

Yea...the PWCC factor. Hard to predict it.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am in the market for a nice example Aaron rookie in a PSA 8. I knew the card was going to sell for a ton of money because of the seller, but that card is not worth the $16K IMO. >>

May as well say $17K.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Looks beautiful to me.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Crazy price but the slight tilt would drive me nuts. >>

Agreed 100%
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't 90 percent of PWCC auctions finish higher than normal? At least that has been my experience.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    I feel that an Aaron Psa 10 rookie would be worth almost a million
    Dollars.
    There are only 2 of them.
  • Options
    Last Aaron Psa 10 rookie sold in scp
    Auction 2.5 years ago for about $350k.
    I would say that card has gone way up in value since, probably
    At least double.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

• Options
    WOW! Makes me wish I still had my SGC 7 that sold for under $1,800.
  • Options
    All good the sgc 7 is replaceable.
  • Options
    You always seem to regret selling at the price you let things go for :-)
  • Options
    Cards are replaceable.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All good the sgc 7 is replaceable. >>

A lot harder to replace SGC cards. Low pops compared to PSA.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>All good the sgc 7 is replaceable. >>

A lot harder to replace SGC cards. Low pops compared to PSA. >>

And usually really nice for the grade.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I wished I had seen that 8.5 Aaron. Now that is a nice card.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>I wished I had seen that 8.5 Aaron. Now that is a nice card. >>

indeed. would be interesting to see if it surfaces again with a big name seller now that the PSA 8 seems to have made a quantum leap in value.

see ya at the auction. image
  • Options

<< <i>I feel that an Aaron Psa 10 rookie would be worth almost a million
    Dollars.
    There are only 2 of them. >>

I could be wrong (ask my wife), but I don't see a 10 nearing a million for a long time if it does. I see around $500k as the near threshold for ultra high grade 50's key cards (minus the Mantle). A million is a heck of a lot of coin, and even if you're the type of person who can drop a million on a card it's still not a number to blink at. Considering that number has only been broached by one card I feel that the next couple of cards to reach it (if any) will be specific rarities rather than condition rarities. I mean, what's the highest realized price for a Balt. News Ruth? $450k? That's a card I can see breaking the barrier in the near future, but there are only ~10 copies. If you want a Balt. News Ruth you have to pay for a Balt. News Ruth. No way of getting around it. If someone's in the market for a high grade Aaron RC a good number will likely be happy with a 7, 8, or 9 in their collection. The only cards I can conceive breaking million mark in the foreseeable future are the Balt. News Ruth (especially if the PSA 4 hits the block) and the Just So Cy Young.
  • Options
    The day a PSA 10 1954 Topps Hank Aaron sells for more than a Baltimore News Ruth, that's the day I walk into the Pacific until I don't come back.

• Options
    ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The day a PSA 10 1954 Topps Hank Aaron sells for more than a Baltimore News Ruth, that's the day I walk into the Pacific until I don't come back. >>

Matty, will you sell us your cards before you walk into the Pacific?
  • Options
    I trust you to be the steward of my cards and sell them so my kids can have some cash. As a final request, please tell whoever bought the PSA 10 Aaron that eclipses the Balt News Ruth that he has my blood on his hands.

• Options
    2 years ago Aaron Psa 8 rookies sold for $5k.
    Now they sell for two to three times that.
    2 years ago Aaron Psa 9 rookies sold for around $20k. Recently one sold for $60k in memory lane auction.
    Since the Aaron Psa 10 sold for $357k in scp auctions 2.5 years ago, it is highly likely the value may have doubled.
  • Options
    DM23HOF not that I want you to walk into the pacificimage, but I believe a Baltimore Ruth didn't meet it's reserve price for around $400k in goldin auctions recently.
    Based on the price trend I just mentioned of the value of Psa 8 and 9 Aaron rookies doubling and tripling the past couple of years, it is highly likely that the Aaron Psa 10 that sold for $357k 2.5 years ago in Scp auctions would sell for more than a $400k Baltimore Ruth.
  • Options
    DM23HOF I'm still waiting for you to get a T206 Wagner Patna!image
  • Options
    No one has a crystal ball, and how anyone wants to spend their loot is on them, for what they enjoy. But I'll put my money and enjoyment on a Balt News Ruth, of which there are a literal handful in all grades, over the PSA 10 Aaron, a card that is essentially "made" by a grader. It is the ultimate case of true rarity versus condition rarity. There are gorgeous 9s and 8s out there of the Aaron to be had (and the one 10 I saw actually looked like a lucky 9 to me).

In the future, who knows what the grading company landscape looks like. And we all know one company's 9 is another's 10, and vice versa. Heck, the same company's 10s and 9s are interchangeable depending on the day, LOL. So a Balt News Ruth has all that value even in beater grade, but take the sticker off the 10 Aaron and its value plummets. When the holders and stickers come off, the Balt News Ruth still retains tremendous value, much moreso than the 10 Aaron, and that's a kicker point for me.

Another factor to consider is the harsh reality that many super high grade vintage cards have at some point been worked on; hence why I love the mid grade and low grade with high eye appeal.

It's a fun hypothetical choice to ponder and debate on a lazy evening, that's for sure-- a choice with no right or wrong answer, just a collector's preference image

• Options
    DM23HOF I'll take either the Aaron Psa 10 rookie or Jordan BGS 10 fleer rookie or Baltimore Ruth or T206 Wagner Patnaimage
  • Options
    Dude, that would be one awesome dilemma!

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Centering is amazing on that Aaron above but truthfully imo, that rough cut would bother the hell out of me if I were to drop the cash for a PSA 8 price. I would certainly hold out for another. But that's just me and my standards when it comes to cards.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I actually like the rough cut on that card.

Sweet!

aconte
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually like the rough cut on that card.

Sweet!

aconte >>

+1

Then again, I'm also an OPC fan, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see what the next "8" sells for. I know within the last year a PSA 8 sold for a then record $9000+ then subsequent sales settled in the $6000 - $7000 range. Any chance that future 8's sell for less than half the $16,880?- bBarring a complete economic collapse that is.
  • Options
    I honestly doubt the validity of this anomalous sale. If the card screamed 9 it would be another story-- someone might bet into the bump, but I just don't see this sale as legit. If the card was a dead ringer for a 9, the price would seem totally doable.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Don't mean to pile on, but I have bid on cards in their auctions the past couple of weeks that have gone for 20-40% above the norm and some for double the amount. Strange thing is these are not bump cards that are old labels that someone might get a 1/2 grade out of them, and there is literally the same card on Ebay in a BIN for less that is not selling. Can't figure it out.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree. Don't mean to pile on, but I have bid on cards in their auctions the past couple of weeks that have gone for 20-40% above the norm and some for double the amount. Strange thing is these are not bump cards that are old labels that someone might get a 1/2 grade out of them, and there is literally the same card on Ebay in a BIN for less that is not selling. Can't figure it out. >>

Oh, you can figure it out!
  • Options

<< <i>

Dollars.

I could be wrong (ask my wife), but I don't see a 10 nearing a million for a long time if it does. I see around $500k as the near threshold for ultra high grade 50's key cards (minus the Mantle). A million is a heck of a lot of coin, and even if you're the type of person who can drop a million on a card it's still not a number to blink at. Considering that number has only been broached by one card I feel that the next couple of cards to reach it (if any) will be specific rarities rather than condition rarities. I mean, what's the highest realized price for a Balt. News Ruth? $450k? That's a card I can see breaking the barrier in the near future, but there are only ~10 copies. If you want a Balt. News Ruth you have to pay for a Balt. News Ruth. No way of getting around it. If someone's in the market for a high grade Aaron RC a good number will likely be happy with a 7, 8, or 9 in their collection. The only cards I can conceive breaking million mark in the foreseeable future are the Balt. News Ruth (especially if the PSA 4 hits the block) and the Just So Cy Young. >>

So are you saying the Aaron Psa 10 rookie is not or is worth $500,000?
    The Clemente Psa 10 rookie sold for $432k at scp auctions 2.5 years ago. I would say that's worth more than the $500k threshold you mentioned now.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dollars.

I could be wrong (ask my wife), but I don't see a 10 nearing a million for a long time if it does. I see around $500k as the near threshold for ultra high grade 50's key cards (minus the Mantle). A million is a heck of a lot of coin, and even if you're the type of person who can drop a million on a card it's still not a number to blink at. Considering that number has only been broached by one card I feel that the next couple of cards to reach it (if any) will be specific rarities rather than condition rarities. I mean, what's the highest realized price for a Balt. News Ruth? $450k? That's a card I can see breaking the barrier in the near future, but there are only ~10 copies. If you want a Balt. News Ruth you have to pay for a Balt. News Ruth. No way of getting around it. If someone's in the market for a high grade Aaron RC a good number will likely be happy with a 7, 8, or 9 in their collection. The only cards I can conceive breaking million mark in the foreseeable future are the Balt. News Ruth (especially if the PSA 4 hits the block) and the Just So Cy Young. >>

So are you saying the Aaron Psa 10 rookie is not or is worth $500,000?
    The Clemente Psa 10 rookie sold for $432k at scp auctions 2.5 years ago. I would say that's worth more than the $500k threshold you mentioned now. >>

I estimate a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA 10 at 3 million at this point. Perhaps more.

My thesis is long time Yankees fans would see it at auction and have to have it.

There are hedge fund managers that would kill to have this displayed in their office or loft.

Obviously this sum is quite large but some of these guys make insane money and could gobble this up easily at this price.

There are certain cards that go to non core card buyers and clearly this card could appeal to a much larger high net worth audience.

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    This use to by mine. I sold it back in 2003 to my best friend, who stills own's it.

It's not for sale ever, according to him.

It's one of the nicer 8's I've ever seen in the past 15 years.
    Centered a little low, but stellar overall. I think this might be an easy $9 or 10k card now.
    Old scan, sorry.....

You might be asking, why did I choose to sell it in the first place?

Well, I needed a large amount of cash for a large deal and had to unload this card
    along with most of my vintage PSA Baseball collection at that time, in order to pull the trigger
    on this deal. Trust me, the deal more than paid off. Still it was hard to sell many of the cards
    back then. Many of them I owned for 10 years, and found the majority of them raw at the card shows
    I attended heavily back in the 1990's and early 2000s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree. Don't mean to pile on, but I have bid on cards in their auctions the past couple of weeks that have gone for 20-40% above the norm and some for double the amount. Strange thing is these are not bump cards that are old labels that someone might get a 1/2 grade out of them, and there is literally the same card on Ebay in a BIN for less that is not selling. Can't figure it out. >>

Oh, you can figure it out! >>

Bobby what are you suggesting?