Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are there any vintage packs (pre 1986 in this case) that do not warrant getting PSA graded?

Can you think of any circumstances under which getting a pack graded by PSA will not at least add the grading fee to the realized sales price of said pack? For instance, I have a few mid 1970's wax packs that have a tiny tear. I'm assuming I probably wont get a grade any higher than 6. Would this PSA 1975 Topps Football wax pack sell for at least $14 more than the same pack ungraded? I'm asking these questions because I am new to pack grading and do not fully understand the weight that certain defects bear on the ultimate grade (even after reading PSA's pack grading standards. Thanks, for any input, Tom

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though pack grades don't mean much, I would think getting a grade of 6 on a pack that is not a super rare one would not add to the value, because in many cases the raw buyer will not think it would grade that low.

This is assuming the pack is believed to be legit. On ebay, probably any PSA graded pack at any grade will sell for more than its raw equaivalent just based on knowing it's real.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing you have to be a collector's club member to submit packs for grading, right?
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Up to but excluding 1982, I think you're pretty likely to at least make your $14 back with respect to baseball packs. 1982-1986, you could lose. You don't have to be a CC member to submit.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    You could always sub them and ask for them to slabbed "authentic" with no grade added to them.
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You could always sub them and ask for them to slabbed "authentic" with no grade added to them. >>

Most pack buyers buy the grade and will pass on "authentic" packs in my opinion.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies