Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

renewal pop

Turn-around in only a couple days on this renewal. Some a little lower than expected, and a couple a little higher.

1949 BOWMAN 233 LARRY DOBY 6.5 Cert Printed
1954 DUTCH GUM SERIE E 19 MARILYN MONROE HAND CUT 5 Cert Printed
1958 AVE LTDA. COLECAO TITULARES 50 PELE HAND CUT 1 Cert Printed
1958 SWEDISH REKORD JOURNAL-HAND CUT M.SANTOS/PELE 4.5 Cert Printed
1959 HEINERLE PELE 3 Cert Printed
1960 F.P.F. LTD. GREETINGS FILM STARS-BATHING SUITS MARILYN MONROE 9 Cert Printed
1960 TOPPS 300 HANK AARON 5 Cert Printed
1962 SWEDISH REKORD JOURNAL-HAND CUT C.CLAY/K.JARLENIUS 5 Cert Printed
1964 BOBBIE BUBBLE GUM TOKIO 1964 54 JOSEPH FRAZIER 3 Cert Printed
1967 VENEZUELA TOPPS 213 WILLIE MAYS 1MK Cert Printed
1971 BARRATT & CO. LTD FAMOUS SPORTSMEN 6 JACK NICKLAUS 6 Cert Printed
1985-1986 MERCHANTE CAMPEONATO BALONCESTO LIGA 173 M. JORDAN RED BACK 7 Cert Printed
2004 PANINI SPORTS MEGA CRACKS 71 LIONEL MESSI 7 Cert Printed
2014 PANINI PRIZM WORLD CUP STARS 41 PELE GOLD POWER PRIZM 9 Cert Printed
2014 PANINI PRIZM WORLD CUP STARS 41 PELE GOLD PRIZM 9 Cert Print

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aaron was a crack-out 6, - 1. Doby was a crack-out 5, + 1.5. Win some, lose some, I guess.

• Options
    Interesting assortment - very cool!
  • Options
    Also, obligatory, post some scans! Would love to see these.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, obligatory, post some scans! Would love to see these. >>

+1, especially the Marilyn's and Golden Bear
  • Options

They probably haven't left the shipping dept. in Newport Beach yet.
  • Options

FYI, Gold Prizm is #/10, and Gold Power Prizm is #/5. I made what I thought was a competitive bid for the Black Prizm 1/1 but it sold for a ridiculously high price, and 1/1 cards don't qualify for the master set registry anyway.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I love these types of subs, right up my alley.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

Yup, a little of everything. Probably my first order that didn't include at least one hockey card though.

It took me a fair amount of time studying a lot of raw 1985 Merchante Jordan cards that came up before I found one that I thought had a good chance of grading well. They all seem to be offered with similar pricing from foreign dealers and most of the time there are tiny bits of paper loss or else the centering is terrible.

The Clay was hand-cut off the full magazine by a board member who did a great job with the cutting. I thought it would get an 8 minimum, likely higher, and I have no idea how it could only be a 5. The Rekord Pele had a corner issue so the 4.5 was expected.

Frazier was a surprise at 3 as it looked high grade, but even with a 3 it is still a relatively higher valued card.

I'm not really much of a collector of non-sport but I do pick a few of them up raw sometimes when they look good; the 1954 Monroe 5, pop 1, none higher is a good hit.

Had hoped for either a 1.5 MK or maybe even a 2 MK on the Mays since it didn't have the degree of paper loss typical for the 1967's, but oh well, 1 MK it is.
  • Options
    rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    It seems PSA is grading the 2014 Panini Prizm World Cup cards pretty harshly. I sent some in my last sub and I got all 9's too. I was really surprised.
  • Options

<< <i>It seems PSA is grading the 2014 Panini Prizm World Cup cards pretty harshly. I sent some in my last sub and I got all 9's too. I was really surprised. >>

I'd probably agree with you, as I don't see what kept these from being 10's, but at least they're 9's and not less than that.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems PSA is grading the 2014 Panini Prizm World Cup cards pretty harshly. I sent some in my last sub and I got all 9's too. I was really surprised. >>

I'd probably agree with you, as I don't see what kept these from being 10's, but at least they're 9's and not less than that. >>

74 total subbed 45 10s 26 9s 3 8s
  • Options

I've got a bunch more from the 2014 Prizm set subbed in a bulk order of items less than $100 in value. I'm curious to see how those others come out. These 2 were in the renewal order based on value being well enough over the bulk limit, but the value of them is admittedly driven more by the serial number than it is by the condition.

• Options
    rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd probably agree with you, as I don't see what kept these from being 10's, but at least they're 9's and not less than that. >>

74 total subbed 45 10s 26 9s 3 8s >>

I guess I should have said they are grading the serial numbered cards tough. Doing a quick search, none of the serial numbered cards that have been graded have received a 10. With the Gold Prizm and Gold Power Prizm numbered to 10 and 5 respectively, it may be tough to get a 10. Purple and Green Prizms were numbered to 99 and 25. May have a better chance at a 10 with those.
  • Options

I already subbed those but they are on file and pending there. Between this order and another one, I have 11 diffferent parallel versions of that card subbed.

• Options

Out of curiosity, am I alone in thinking my 1949 Bowman Larry Doby 6.5 looks to be in notably higher grade than this PSA 7 that someone else owns and has listed? Wondering if the 7 got lucky with a generous slab, or if mine has a shot at a bump.

Here's mine:

• Options
    Yours is a beautiful card. But I don't know of many cases where a card bumped 1.5 and then bumped again.
  • Options

Sorry about the shadow on the top border on mine; it looks fine in person but the scanner produces the shadow there.

Compared to my 6.5, the 7 has some rough edges similar to OPC, more wear on the bottom corners, and that ugly mark near the top on the back side that looks like a burn.

• Options

Wow, I actually had an order pop w/ 100% of items receiving a numerical grade. I average 35% N9 across all orders, sometimes much higher percentage, so that is a big switch for me. Point is, this order included the rest of the parallel Prizm cards among others, so in addition to the 2 Prizm results posted earlier in this thread, I'll put up scans of all of them side by side in case anyone is interested, as soon as they arrive.

• Options
    Please do!
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    That 58 pele Titulares is a great card. Congrats on getting it Slabbed. Mine is also a 1. It was so bad I was worried it wouldn't get a number grade. I wish PSA wouldn't grade them as hand cut since I'm pretty sure they aren't. The Fraizer is a cool card too that is pretty hard to find. Great sub
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>That 58 pele Titulares is a great card. Congrats on getting it Slabbed. Mine is also a 1. It was so bad I was worried it wouldn't get a number grade. I wish PSA wouldn't grade them as hand cut since I'm pretty sure they aren't. The Fraizer is a cool card too that is pretty hard to find. Great sub >>

Thanks. Not all PSA 1's are equal, that's for sure. When I picked up my raw one, I thought I was looking at almost guaranteed minimum of a Fair 1.5, with an outside chance lofty hope of a generous Good 2. Here's mine:

• Options

<< <i>Please do! >>

Got parallels? (I did see the Black 1/1 come up on ebay several months ago, don't remember the exact amount but I think it sold for over $1,400, maybe a bit more, which was a lot more than I bid. Doesn't qualify for Master Set composition either since it is a 1/1)

• Options
    Awesome! We got my son a box of panini prizm for his 11th birthday and he loved them, hit some stars. He doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a refractor parallel of the aerial attacks cristiano Ronaldo from that set for Christmas. Ronaldo is our favorite player. I picked up a van persie refractor for myself at the same time.

It's interesting that these count towards Pele's registry. Most player registries I'm aware of only include cards from the player's playing years.
  • Options

<< <i>It's interesting that these count towards Pele's registry. Most player registries I'm aware of only include cards from the player's playing years. >>

For just about any Master Set of a player/person under either the Misc. Sports categories or under the Non-Sport categories is equal to a Super Set under the Big-Four sports categories. Basic sets under Misc. or Non are still just career years. It is an inconsistency in PSA policy, but it is the way it is.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's interesting that these count towards Pele's registry. Most player registries I'm aware of only include cards from the player's playing years. >>

For just about any Master Set of a player/person under either the Misc. Sports categories or under the Non-Sport categories is equal to a Super Set under the Big-Four sports categories. Basic sets under Misc. or Non are still just career years. It is an inconsistency in PSA policy, but it is the way it is. >>

Wanted to add that for some unexplained reason, up until recently the Golf master sets were under the same rules for composition as the big four sports even though golf is filed under Misc. and all the other Misc. included all cards in master sets, not just career years. Relatively recently, they switched the rules for golf and added post-career cards to those in order to make them consistent with the other sports under Misc.