Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1986 Fleer Basketball Unopened Box - Need Help

I need to know a realistic value of what one of these is worth. I have no interest in it myself, but I have an opportunity to pick up a legitimate box and flip it if it would be worthwhile.

Additionally, if I were to purchase it, would I be better off having every pack graded and reselling individual packs, reselling as a complete box with all graded packs, or having BBC certify and shrink wrap the full box?

Comments

• 25K+

send it to steve to wrap
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>25K+

send it to steve to wrap >>

Agree with this.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • ergoismergoism Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Steve sold one at the National for $29,500. If Steve deems it authentic, it will easily fall in the range of 27-31k. The most profitable move would be to have it wrapped and sell it that way.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve sold one at the National for $29,500. If Steve deems it authentic, it will easily fall in the range of 27-31k. The most profitable move would be to have it wrapped and sell it that way. >>

+1

And if he can authenticate it as "from a sealed case" or something that says it wasn't pieced together from multiple boxes, it would be even better
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Steve sold one at the National for $29,500. If Steve deems it authentic, it will easily fall in the range of 27-31k. The most profitable move would be to have it wrapped and sell it that way. >>

+1

And if he can authenticate it as "from a sealed case" or something that says it wasn't pieced together from multiple boxes, it would be even better >>

Would BBCE even wrap a '86 Fleer box it if didn't have the "appropriate" packs in it? They seem pretty picky when it comes to those boxes!
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

+1

And if he can authenticate it as "from a sealed case" or something that says it wasn't pieced together from multiple boxes, it would be even better >>

Would BBCE even wrap a '86 Fleer box it if didn't have the "appropriate" packs in it? They seem pretty picky when it comes to those boxes! >>

Scott,

I believe Steve wont wrap a 86-87 box that does not have the correct sequencing in it.

Jeremy
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>25K+

send it to steve to wrap >>

Agree with this. >>

Agree as well. Keep in mind it may cost about $1,500 for BBCE to authenticate and wrap that box for you.
  • Pay someone for the sequence, then try to pull a couple gem Jordans. If the rest of a packs are sharp, get them graded individually.

<< <i>Pay someone for the sequence, then try to pull a couple gem Jordans. If the rest of a packs are sharp, get them graded individually. >>

?

• << <i>Pay someone for the sequence, then try to pull a couple gem Jordans. If the rest of a packs are sharp, get them graded individually. >>

And then on the way home punch a baby in the face and club a seal.
    All your money won't another minute buy.

• << <i>Pay someone for the sequence, then try to pull a couple gem Jordans. If the rest of a packs are sharp, get them graded individually. >>

Curious to see the reaction to this idea.

If it's ok to replace a pack in a 1975 box after realizing the centering sucks, then I don't think those same people should have an issue with this.

Both are wrong IMO.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    You might be able to maximize return in the near-term if you were to break it up this way, if the packs graded high; however, I don't know how quickly you would be able to turn graded packs.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a graded pack. I would make the assumption that whoever submitted the pack for grading already made the determination that the odds of a Jordan are slim, based on the sequence. Since a box cannot be authenticated without the appropriate sequencing to yield the minimum of three Jordans, I would much rather own a box or have a crack at a pack from an authentic box.
  • I opened an old Gai graded pack once, actually I have it on video. There was a Jordan, reverse side up on the front of the pack. So at least in the old grading days, they were not checking individual packs for sequence or this would have been spotted right away. I should have pressed on the front of the pack before opening, the gai cases were softer and I probably could have seen the name on top.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pay someone for the sequence, then try to pull a couple gem Jordans. If the rest of a packs are sharp, get them graded individually. >>

And then on the way home punch a baby in the face and club a seal. >>

i'm surprised by this reaction - should we punch everyone in the face who already sent in a pack for grading?

i think if you're trying to make the most money on a box, you should probably try to get it wrapped - then again just understand that $25,000+ kind of limits your buyers.

of course, if you got it wrapped i suspect you could do a "forum break" on the box - get yourself 36 buyers in whatever random order and sell the packs

i imagine there's plenty of people here who would love to buy a pack they knew was from a properly sequenced box to have a shot at MJ

<< <i>

<< <i>

And then on the way home punch a baby in the face and club a seal. >>

i'm surprised by this reaction - should we punch everyone in the face who already sent in a pack for grading?

i think if you're trying to make the most money on a box, you should probably try to get it wrapped - then again just understand that $25,000+ kind of limits your buyers.

of course, if you got it wrapped i suspect you could do a "forum break" on the box - get yourself 36 buyers in whatever random order and sell the packs

i imagine there's plenty of people here who would love to buy a pack they knew was from a properly sequenced box to have a shot at MJ >>

I agree. I don't think buyers look at graded packs as an opportunity to pull star cards, rather they collect the pack itself.

It would be dishonest to sell a picked box though. I'm opening a lot of '89 Topps Hockey, pennies to the '86 Fleer Basketball, and after pulling a couple Sakic rookies I know there isn't going to be another in the box. I'd be OK sending some packs to be graded, but if I sold the packs raw I'd disclose that the Sakic cards have been pulled. I'd also disclose what the overall condition of the cards in the other packs were and whether the gum is loose in the pack or not.
    If you just had to have a pack that was authentic, then graded is the way to go.

For me, I look at this set differently. Since there are are a ton of folks who know the sequencing, a graded pack doesn't carry the same weight for me. I would like to look at the pack and dream at the possibility of a Jordan being inside the pack. Although still possible because the sequence flips at some point, I would have to assume that the packs with a player showing that is close to where the Jordan lies have been pulled. For the price of a graded pack of this issue, I would choose almost any other graded wax pack of similar value before this one because I believe there are less folks out there who know vintage sequencing as compared to this set.
  • JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 487 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you just had to have a pack that was authentic, then graded is the way to go.

For me, I look at this set differently. Since there are are a ton of folks who know the sequencing, a graded pack doesn't carry the same weight for me. I would like to look at the pack and dream at the possibility of a Jordan being inside the pack. Although still possible because the sequence flips at some point, I would have to assume that the packs with a player showing that is close to where the Jordan lies have been pulled. For the price of a graded pack of this issue, I would choose almost any other graded wax pack of similar value before this one because I believe there are less folks out there who know vintage sequencing as compared to this set. >>

Agree with this. I wonder how many graded packs were submitted with knowledge of the sequence and having a small chance of a star card.

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

+1

• would love to see pics and a rip video!
  • What if you were certain the pack did not have a Jordan in it? What if PSA put it on the label? PSA 9NJ (No Jordan). Would the value of the pack go down if it were still legitimate?
    I think that's why it becomes an ethical issue picking out the Jordans....
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection

• << <i>

Curious to see the reaction to this idea.

If it's ok to replace a pack in a 1975 box after realizing the centering sucks, then I don't think those same people should have an issue with this.

Both are wrong IMO. >>

+1

<< <i>What if you were certain the pack did not have a Jordan in it? What if PSA put it on the label? PSA 9NJ (No Jordan). Would the value of the pack go down if it were still legitimate?
    I think that's why it becomes an ethical issue picking out the Jordans.... >>

The value would be diminished to me, for sure.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What if you were certain the pack did not have a Jordan in it? What if PSA put it on the label? PSA 9NJ (No Jordan). Would the value of the pack go down if it were still legitimate?
    I think that's why it becomes an ethical issue picking out the Jordans.... >>

That horse is already out of the barn, and without the sequencing you'd never have any idea anyway

So to answer your question, I assume no graded pack has a Jordan in it anyway, so a designation that it wasn't in there wouldn't change anything for me

No one in their right mind would have left a Jordan in a graded pack unless they knew something
  • I don't know how anyone looking to buy a graded 1986 Fleer basketball pack that doesn't already assume a Jordan does not reside inside the pack. If I had a legit box, I would personally open up every pack since my goal someday is to self-sub a PSA 10 of the HOFers. You are basically going to get 3 cards each of every player so that is where the rush would be for me opening a legit box. As to the OP wanting to maximize his profits, I agree with others that getting BBCE seal of approval is the way to go. However, if he felt like gambling on a few packs that have a high probability of including the Jordan, I have zero problems with opening them in the hopes of the coveted PSA 10. Besides, even if he graded the other 30 packs individually, its not like the rest of the set is commons as dozens are worth multiple hundreds of dollars in a 10.