Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Made a nice unopened pickup today

My friend has a coin / card shop in the area. Several weeks ago I noticed he had a 1986 Topps Unopened Hockey box on the shelf behind the counter. Last week he quoted me $425.00. Not knowing what some unopened stuff goes for now a days, I had to go home to check BBCE's buy price. The BBCE buy price is $700.00 and sell price is $1050.00. Naturally, today I went down and examined the packs and they look great so I bought the box. He also thinks he still has an 1986 OPC Hockey box and he quoted me $900.00. I am waiting to see if he brings that one in.
Now I am not sure what to do. Do I ship the box off to BBCE for $700.00 and a quick profit, or do I keep the box? Decisions Decisions.................

Robert
ebay seller name milbroco
email bcmiller7@comcast.net

Comments

• Options
    Or you could send it to BBCE have it wrapped and flip on eBay for an even bigger flip.
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Bingo
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    My friend has a coin / card shop in the area

wondering how close of a friend he is--no offense--but you made a nice score on your friend if he didn't really know the value.

If he knew the true value and still gave you the deal--then he would seem to be a better friend to you, than you may be to him--

decision? maybe fess up and split the $$ with your friend
  • Options
    wait a sec. his friend is a "dealer". as a dealer, this friend should already be well enough educated on the current pricing structure of unopened product if he intends to sell it.

why is it Bob's responsibility to inform him of the presumed true value of his products, just so he can shake out his "fair share" of the wealth? doesn't make sense to me. if everyone was so adept at negotiating to a fair return for all parties involved, we'd be commu........

nope, not gonna say it. image

now, let's have some other members join in to share their opinions of whether or not this box is really legit, because it was in a store, people could have touched the packs, some could have been sold, swapped, removed, replaced, touched, felt, sniffed, etc. and then a BBCE wrapper around it could cause greater consternation and lead to a 500 post thread.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I guess "friend" was not the correct term. More like a business associate I have known for about 30 years. I bought a lot from him in the 80's at shows and from his home. Also bought quite a bit from him from his store and simply just dropped in to chat but we never just hung out together. Our relationship basically was business. He made quite a bit of money from my advice when older cards (T206 era) came into his store that he had no knowledge of. He bought a small collection of Goudy Wide Pen Premium cards which included Babe Ruth for about $50.00. He likes to buy and sell quickly and make profit right away. He was going to take an offer of $200.00 for the lot for a fast $150.00 profit until I told him he could sell the lot just as fast for $$900 to $1000. He sold the lot within a week for $1050.
    So yes I call him a friend but I guess we are business associates more then anything.

• Options
    maybe he should be paying you. image
  • Options
    I would also like to add that this box was from a case (cases) that he got directly from Topps in 1986. He used to buy directly from Topps in the 80's so this box cost him what....$10.00?

I actually went with him to pick up cases of 1984 Topps Football on closeout at $37.00 per CASE. Yes I said $37.00 per CASE. He would give me a case of cello and a case of wax for helping him and would let me buy additional cases at $40.00.

He still won't part with his 1972 wax box though.....................................
  • Options
    By the way, how much would BBCE charge to authenticate the box?
    Thanks again,
    Bob
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>By the way, how much would BBCE charge to authenticate the box?
    Thanks again,
    Bob >>

I believe it's 5% of the current selling price..in this case $52.50 plus shipping.
  • Options
    Does your friend read the message boards?
  • Options
    No he does not. He is more into coins than anything.
  • Options
    $425 is a big chunk of change to pay on an unopened box, especially if it's not authenticated.

I personally wouldn't have bought the box at that price raw because I know nothing about how to detect resealed packs.

The buyer is taking a risk regardless of how much history he knows about the box.

$425 is more than a fair price for the dealer.

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth wasn't in the Goudey Wide Pen issue.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is for my buddy Steve (winpitcher) who's watching from the cheap seats.

Mike
  • Options
    It's our job as collectors in this great hobby to ensure we pay the highest price possible for unopened material. Yes, indeed.
  • Options

<< <i>It's our job as collectors in this great hobby to ensure we pay the highest price possible for unopened material. Yes, indeed. >>

• Options

<< <i>My friend has a coin / card shop in the area. >>

Just wanted to say...

Bob's a good guy in my book.

He "colloquially" referred to what turns out to be an acquaintance as "a friend."

He made a good buy. I congratulate that.

I don't think it would be fair to characterize this any further. Unless I'm missing something here?

And, I'm in the group - as a general statement - that it's not my job to "educate" a store owner. They do fine in the "buying" side of the house all on their own from my POV/experience.
    Mike
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Mike, would you really have done the exact same thing?
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    Babe Ruth wasn't in the Goudey Wide Pen issue.

I guess it was not the Goudy Wide Pen issue but it was an issue from the 30's or so with Ruth.

• Options
    Bo 5 laughs hysterically at anyone out there who did not congratulate this buyer on getting a good deal. Simply lame those that thought negative of the buyer here. Grow a pair.

• Options

<< <i>Mike, would you really have done the exact same thing? >>

Hiya Darren.

Good question.

Me personally? No. But, I'm not ready to tar and feather someone for taking that position either.
    Mike
  • Options
    well--guess the jokes on me.

Guess I value a friendship more than screwing a friend---

and it's all about the friend thing--I would never begrudge a person getting a good deal from a dealer--shame on the dealer--

but a friend--well that's a person in a whole different category IMO
  • Options

<< <i>well--guess the jokes on me.

and it's all about the friend thing--I would never begrudge a person getting a good deal from a dealer--shame on the dealer--

but a friend--well that's a person in a whole different category IMO >>

I saw your point, just don't think it applied to this scenario.

I can see how it could have been misconstrued though.
  • Options

<< <i>well--guess the jokes on me.

but a friend--well that's a person in a whole different category IMO >>

Hiya Manny

Bob walked that back and said the guy was actually more of a biz acquaintance.

How we handle - do business - with acquaintances could be for another Oprah Show?
    Mike
  • Options
    if he ain't a friend then my comments do not apply--they were predicated on the dealer being the OP's friend--as was originally stated

not trying to tar and feather anyone--do not know the OP--may be a great guy--just going by the post is all

We tend to treat people on these boards with honesty--why not a friend was my thought

if the OP was offended--my apologies

now carry on and enjoy your pick up!!