Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Shipment from PSA stolen then miraculously found.

I had a PSA order (CC renewal) that popped on August 18, & the order was shipped via FedEx Ground the same day. I have had a FedEx account for years & use it almost exclusively for cards. Delivery was scheduled for August 21.

When I arrived at work after traveling on August 25, there was no package. I checked the tracking online & it said the package was on the truck for delivery on Aug 21, but was not delivered. There was no delivery exception so no delivery had been attempted. I called FedEx & they put a trace on the package. They were generally uncaring & minimally responsive to my concern.

I called them again the next day (Tuesday) and was treated about the same, so I planned to give it a couple days to turn up before visiting the local FedEx facility.

The next day, I decided to run some lunchtime errands & stopped by the local card shop to get some supplies. As I'm looking around the shop I spot some cards laying behind the counter......and one of them was one of the cards from my PSA order. I asked the shop owner whom I know well if he had bought the card recently & he said he had purchased it the day before, along with 2 others that were also my cards. I explained to him that the cards were mine & verified the cert numbers for him online along with my grading order. He then called another shop owner in town who as it turned out had my other 3 cards.
The cards were sold by 2 women on both occasions. One of the shop owners got the name, address & phone of one of them.

On Thursday, I visited the local FedEx facility with a file of information along with the cards. Their head of security suspects the driver or the package handler. The whole thing has been surreal. I've never had any issues with FedEx, so for this to happen was incredibly shocking, but not nearly as shocking as the miraculous discovery of the cards themselves. I'm going to do all that I can to see that the thieves are held accountable.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    wow - that's crazy - not only that they were taken but then that you found them at the shops!
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Ron

Shocking story, but so glad the cards were returned to their rightful owner.

Keep us posted on what transpires from a legal standpoint with the 2 thieves.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is an amazing story!! I'm glad you got the cards back, Ron, but this is very distressing to hear. I use USPS and have never had any issues, but I do recall years ago when PSA used to ship all orders via registered mail, too. Those responsible should be fired on the spot and arrested!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    That is an incredible story Ron. I am happy that it seems to have worked out for you in the end.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Did the store owners just give the cards to you?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Wow indeed - congrats on finding them! Do you have the cards back yet? Are the shop owners out the money? Can you share what the cards were?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad that worked out Tom.

This is one I'd like to see the followup. We want to trust these companies...
    Mike
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did the store owners just give the cards to you? >>

Are the store owners planning to contact the authorities since stolen goods were purchased in good faith by them?

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Too bad it wasn't USPS. Isn't theft from them a big time federal offense?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Wild stuff...glad you got your cards, PLEASE keep us updated!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Tom, good to hear that one of these horror stories turned out well. Sadly, that's far from the norm. Glad you got your cards back.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Pretty crazy Ron ... sucks that this happened, but glad to see that you got your cards back.

I don't know what's harder to believe ... the fact that you found your cards or that you have TWO card shops in your town!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I will love to hear how this plays out. Many levels here.
    1. Psa package. What is take from them. If they know.
    2. Fed ex
    3. Card shops money
    4. Police
    5. The ones that did this.

Maybe others I am missing.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I have all of the cards back & have agreed with the shop owners that if FedEx does not compensate them for the $$ they paid to the thieves, I will.

The cards were:

66 & 68 Mantle PSA 8.5
    59 Berra PSA 8
    69 Aaron PSA 8
    63 Killebrew PSA 8
    71 Banks PSA 8
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    How crazy is that! Glad to hear it miraculously worked out.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    66 & 68 Mantle PSA 8.5
    59 Berra PSA 8
    69 Aaron PSA 8
    63 Killebrew PSA 8
    71 Banks PSA 8

Just thinking out loud here. I'll bet the store owners got the cards for a steal (pun intended). This thread could have some legs on this board.
    I'm glad you got your cards back.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Amazing story that everyone here should read. These thieves are stupid and don't realize the cards could be tracked eventually with serial #'s or not and they will go to jail
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very glad you got your cards back Ron!

Please let us know what happens to the scumbags who stole them.

Incidents like this are the exact reason I will not send cards through the mail to PSA. I will only submit them at a show, which absolutely sucks, since I live near San Antonio and PSA rarely comes to Texas for shows (plus it probably means I'll lose several free submissions I still have from my most recent club renewal) image

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and we're all very glad to hear you got them back. The craziest part to me is that they were found locally. Ridiculously stupid thieves actually though they could not only swipe them but that it was wise to just sell them locally. Hope they are brought to justice!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Where the police called once you found out that the first card shop owner had some of your cards??
  • Options
    The police will do nothing and it will take months if by chance FedEx somehow does. It's sad but true
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Amazing story that everyone here should read. These thieves are stupid and don't realize the cards could be tracked eventually with serial #'s or not and they will go to jail >>

I am happy these guys did not know, or think about, cracking them and selling them. This story is wild, but glad it worked out for you.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    That is some story, glad you recovered your cards.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom.... WOW I'm glad you recovered your items. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. I have all of the cards back & have agreed with the shop owners that if FedEx does not compensate them for the $$ they paid to the thieves, I will.

The cards were:

66 & 68 Mantle PSA 8.5
    59 Berra PSA 8
    69 Aaron PSA 8
    63 Killebrew PSA 8
    71 Banks PSA 8 >>

cards for sale in 5,4,3...
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, unbelievable. Good thing the thieves were dumb and left their information. hopefully they get time for it. The value of those cards should make it grand theft. After seeing viral videos of FEDEX workers chucking packages into a ravine, nothing surprises me about package delivery from any carrier.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Tom, that story is crazy. You need to go buy a lotto ticket today with your luck. I am really glad to see the card shops willing to give you the cards back while they sort this out. Kudos to them
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

<< <i>I am really glad to see the card shops willing to give you the cards back while they sort this out. Kudos to them >>

I would reserve the "kudos" until we discover how much they paid for the cards.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was always concerned that someone at FedEx, USPS, or UPS would know what PSA or BGS means on the package.
    Mike
  • Options
    I have to hope that the USPS is safer than the private shipping companies, considering the benefits, job security and pensions of federal employees. I never like purchasing from a company that does not offer the USPS as a shipping option.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeyP - I don't think it that matters. There are many examples of scams at the USPS. The sense of entitlement from govt workers is pretty strong. I know that doesn't apply to everyone but to say that govt benefits will stop from someone from scamming is wishful at best.

The bigger issue are the temp workers that are brought in at all of the carriers. I've heard horror stories of gift cards being stolen at Christmas time. I've seen the processing room at a large FedEx center and it is pretty sophisticated. They can find out who did the scam if they really want to.
    Mike
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I don't mean to make gender stereotypes, but if two women come into my shop with those cards, that's a red flag for me.

I'd think that the cards are stolen or that the woman could be a widow...nevertheless it's not a situation that I'd be presented with often. Guess as a seller I'd want a little more information before making the purchase.

Super glad you got your cards back!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't mean to make gender stereotypes, but if two women come into my shop with those cards, that's a red flag for me.

I'd think that the cards are stolen or that the woman could be a widow...nevertheless it's not a situation that I'd be presented with often. Guess as a seller I'd want a little more information before making the purchase.

Super glad you got your cards back! >>

So women can't collect cards! Amongst every thing else you are, you can now include chauvinist pig.

OP, story with a happy ending. That's good.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    The OP says the tracking showed that the package was on the truck for delivery. This means the package is tied to that driver. All packages that come in to a station are scanned before being loaded on to each truck. Each truck driver is tied to every package. If a package is missing or if a scan is unaccounted for, that driver will be questioned. It is a easy process to figure out what driver had a package.

It would be much more difficult to find a missing package if the last scan was a SIP. A SIP stands for station inbound package. A SIP occurs when all package are being dropped off from freight trucks to local stations. When the packages are being unloaded, every package gets a SIP scan and then they go down the belt and each driver grabs the package for his/her route. At that point, the driver scans his/her packages on to the route the package belongs to and all those packages are tied to the driver.

Again, since the OP says the package was on road for delivery, the driver should be questioned at this point seeing he was the last person to have it.

As for the store owners...

They are in a difficult spot I would think. Back when I had my store, I had 1 situation where I bought a collection and was confronted by the police the next day. I was told that the collection was stolen and I had no choice but to hand everything over. I was holding stolen goods. I don't know what happened to the people that sold me the cards but I not only had to give the collection back but I also lost out on all the cash I paid for it (I don't remember how much - this was in the early 90's)

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't mean to make gender stereotypes, but if two women come into my shop with those cards, that's a red flag for me.

Super glad you got your cards back! >>

So women can't collect cards! Amongst every thing else you are, you can now include chauvinist pig.

OP, story with a happy ending. That's good. >>

Excuse me? You definitely owe me an apology.

Those are high priced cards and, I'm sorry, but if two women walk into my shop with the primary reason to sell, I'm definitely asking questions.

I had a large collection of PSA graded cards stolen by an ex. This sort of thing happens quite regularly through breakups and divorce.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Good luck hunting them down

Go get them!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are high priced cards and, I'm sorry, but if two women walk into my shop with the primary reason to sell, I'm definitely asking questions. >>

This is what one owner did, as he had a name, address, and phone # of one of the sellers. Kudos to that shop owner to doing things the right way. A card shop has to be run like a pawn shop now, if you don't really know the person who is selling the stuff, then you have to CYA. Sad, but true.
  • Options

<< <i>The sense of entitlement from govt workers is pretty strong. I know that doesn't apply to everyone but to say that govt benefits will stop from someone from scamming is wishful at best. >>

I only meant to say that someone who has a secure and steady job, with decent benefits and a decent salary, is probably less likely to commit this type of activity. I would also hope that a good pension would work as a deterrent as well. Maybe it is just because it is Labor Day, but that is how I feel. I have never had a problem with the USPS, but I have had problems with other shipping companies. One in particular.

I also do not believe that government workers have a "sense of entitlement". I know a lot of police officers and teachers who work very hard. Postal workers too.
  • Options
    BigMKBigMK Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Question: Lets say the cards were never discovered/recovered at the card shop and there was no evidence the cards were stolen. If the package has the latest status of "Out on truck for delivery", I would assume Fed Ex would have to pay out on an insurance claim, correct? This package was insured and there was no proof of delivery/signature. I mean, what are the chance that you would stumble across your own cards at the local card shop. I'm glad to hear you recovered your cards, and hope the people responsible are exposed. It sounds like employees at Fed Ex would be responsible as it was lastly in their possession, but could they be so brazen and try to actually get away with something like this.
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Tom-
    Great to hear you got them back. Did the tracking show that the cards made it to your city? The reason I ask is that I had a Fed Ex package drop off the grid in Memphis and wondered if it could've been the same people involved
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options

<< <i>Did the tracking show that the cards made it to your city? The reason I ask is that I had a Fed Ex package drop off the grid in Memphis and wondered if it could've been the same people involved >>

This is crazy. How often does this type of thing happen? This is the first time that I am hearing about anything like this.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Felony crime. And incredibly happens more than one would think.
    Glad the OP recovered the stolen cards. Thief or thieves should be prosecuted to the fullest extent here. Severe breach of trust involved.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question: Lets say the cards were never discovered/recovered at the card shop and there was no evidence the cards were stolen. If the package has the latest status of "Out on truck for delivery", I would assume Fed Ex would have to pay out on an insurance claim, correct? This package was insured and there was no proof of delivery/signature. I mean, what are the chance that you would stumble across your own cards at the local card shop. I'm glad to hear you recovered your cards, and hope the people responsible are exposed. It sounds like employees at Fed Ex would be responsible as it was lastly in their possession, but could they be so brazen and try to actually get away with something like this. >>

Wish it was that simple. FedEx will pay up to the declared value of the package (assuming you declare the value and pay any insurance upcharges that they levy).

HOWEVER, last I recall there is a rather lengthy list of items that they will not fully insure and one of them is sports cards/memorabillia. I think you can get coverage
    from FedEx only up to $100. After that, you need to have your own outside insurance. See the following link (see section D, paragraph 37):

FedEx_RestrictedItems

And this from a 9/2008 SCD Article:

SCD_Article_Sep2008

FedEx representative:
    “You’d probably be best getting your own insurance when you’re shipping something very valuable. When shipping with FedEx, it puts a declared value on your package for $50,000, but extraordinary items limited to $100 declared value maximum. Sports collectibles are considered extraordinary, so you would want your own insurance on your package.”

UPS representative:
    “Whatever you insure it for you have to have documentation that it is worth that. Appraisals by a reputable third-party appraiser are the best method.”

DSL representative:
    “We have shipment value protection for loss or damage. For these special care items, they may be acceptable for transport and shipment value protection, provided you follow certain conditions: You must be able to provide independent proof of value or replacement upon request, the shipment must be professionally packaged and if the shipment is in excess of $10,000, it must be approved by DSL Risk Management before authorization of these items can be shipped.

USPS representative: “You can purchase insurance for anything up to a certain amount. Insurance, we provide coverage up to $5,000. Collectibles are not excluded. When filing a claim, what you would need to do is file a claim and show proof of value, such as a professional appraisal. Just to be safe, make sure you keep all records and receipts you have concerning the things you sent, including the insurance receipt.”

So the least hassle way to ship with insured protection is actually USPS

Dave
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you found your cards, tom. I hope these dirtbags are caught and given serious time.

• Options
    70 Topps Fanatic, thank you very much for posting that valuable information. I had no idea. I doubt that I am the only one who was unaware of those policies.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One other interesting tidbit of information I just found out about this past weekend is:

I'm currently waiting on an Amazon package to be delivered. It was shipped by Fedex, and Friday morning, it showed as "Out for Delivery" on their website. 8:00 PM arrives, still no package, and it still shows as "Out for Delivery" on the website. Turns out, it was being "delivered" to the USPS for them to finish delivering. According to the Fedex website now, it is "In transit at U.S. Postal Service facility". USPS website has it as currently sitting at my local post office.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>I'm currently waiting on an Amazon package to be delivered. It was shipped by Fedex, and Friday morning, it showed as "Out for Delivery" on their website. 8:00 PM arrives, still no package, and it still shows as "Out for Delivery" on the website. Turns out, it was being "delivered" to the USPS for them to finish delivering. According to the Fedex website now, it is "In transit at U.S. Postal Service facility". USPS website has it as currently sitting at my local post office. >>

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Fedex and USPS work together on many things.

Example: Topps redemptions are shipped by Fedex to your local USPS who in turn delivers to your Mailbox/PO Box
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 4:01PM