Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 Chong Modesto A's Jose Canseco Minor League Card...

I was watching this card start to move last night and did a quick EBAY search.

Jose PSA 10

I found a lot of two sets and felt like gambling and pulled the trigger.

1984 Chong Jose

In the description of the auction it states that there are good fakes out there and wanted to know if anyone can tell from the pic if this is a good or bad one.

I had never seen this card before and thought it looked pretty cool. Judging by where it finished it has to be one of his best cards if not his best card. It was at $400 when it caught my eye.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Comments

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the cream colored background in the Small Traditions website that gives the card a cream color, but the coloration on the two cards does look different.

I wonder when all the counterfeits were made?

I hope they turn out to be real. I am a fan of the small, obscure regional sets.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe it's the cream colored background in the Small Traditions website that gives the card a cream color, but the coloration on the two cards does look different.

I wonder when all the counterfeits were made?

I hope they turn out to be real. I am a fan of the small, obscure regional sets. >>

They do look quite different. Wonder why??
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few more copies to look at.

PSA 9

PSA 8

Raw
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck with these cards Dpeck.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Man, I remember back in the "crazy days" when the McGwire from that set was selling for STOOOOOOOPID Money! I know a PSA "9" was selling for a few hundred dollars. I THINK the PSA "10" was selling in the THOUSANDS!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I think I answered my own question. The seller notified me they only had one in stock and then offered another set that was said to be sealed.

You can tell in the first one there is a white background by Jose's head and in the second one it has the shading.

Second one

This looks much closer to the card that was auctioned off.

I have since been in contact with the seller and it appears he will be refunding me on the first one and letting me keep the second one.

• Options
    The Jose came back N9 not graded. Does this mean counterfeit or PSA just doesn't grade it?

• Options
    The Killer one to look at is the 77 Chong Rickey Henderson. I had 2 sets a few years back and sold for big $$$ and they were not even graded!
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest factor is going to be whether or not the cards are genuinely tough to find or if they just haven't been submitted to PSA much. Only 40 submitted so it's too early to gauge condition sensitivity but almost half are 9's.
  • Options
    I called PSA and they decided to not render an opinion on the card. They do grade these but were not 100% certain. That is fair.

• Options

<< <i>I called PSA and they decided to not render an opinion on the card. They do grade these but were not 100% certain. That is fair. >>

They weren't 100% certain whether they grade the issue or not? N9 is when they don't grade something. N6 is when there's questionable authenticity. That's weird. At least you get the grading fees back.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I called PSA and they decided to not render an opinion on the card. They do grade these but were not 100% certain. That is fair. >>

They weren't 100% certain whether they grade the issue or not? N9 is when they don't grade something. N6 is when there's questionable authenticity. That's weird. At least you get the grading fees back. >>

They were not 100% certain if the card was real. In a case like this they err on the side of caution.

• Options
    Them giving it an N9 works out great for you. Not that it's questionable auth, but at least you get the grading fees back.