Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is Wally Moon really a common?

People say that I'm a competitive guy, which I take as a compliment, sort of. Point being is that my collection includes many different avenues, with PSA registered sets being one of them. But in the past, it has been very difficult to obtain a number one set. Last year I spent almost $9000 on the Pre War HOF rookies & that got me to number 28 on the list. Looking thru the sets & noticing many of the Lone Star sets have been retired, that seems to have opened up a few places that somebody with my budget could possibly jump in there. So, now I am focused on the Wally Moon basic set with my intentions being my first number one set.
After all, Wally was my favorite player growing up, I don't know why I haven't started his set earlier. So as far as Wally Moon being a common, most people bidding on his cards want them to fill company sets, so he is just a common to them. But to me he isn't a common, he is my favorite player, so I will most likely out bid others, which has happened on the first couple I have gotten. Does this story remind you all of any collections you are putting together?

[URL=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/mankin043/media/1964wm_zps202b8666.jpg.html]image[/URL][/IMG]

[URL=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/mankin043/media/IMG_20140828_0001_zps203c4987.jpg.html]image[/URL][/IMG]

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People say that I'm a competitive guy, which I take as a compliment, sort of. Point being is that my collection includes many different avenues, with PSA registered sets being one of them. But in the past, it has been very difficult to obtain a number one set. Last year I spent almost $9000 on the Pre War HOF rookies & that got me to number 28 on the list. Looking thru the sets & noticing many of the Lone Star sets have been retired, that seems to have opened up a few places that somebody with my budget could possibly jump in there. So, now I am focused on the Wally Moon basic set with my intentions being my first number one set.
    After all, Wally was my favorite player growing up, I don't know why I haven't started his set earlier. So as far as Wally Moon being a common, most people bidding on his cards want them to fill company sets, so he is just a common to them. But to me he isn't a common, he is my favorite player, so I will most likely out bid others, which has happened on the first couple I have gotten. Does this story remind you all of any collections you are putting together?

image >>

Fixed links.....
  • Options
    thanks, I figured it out right afterwardsimage
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    He certainly has hall of fame eyebrows.

Nothing common about those babies.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He certainly has hall of fame eyebrows.

Nothing common about those babies.

~ >>

That might be the greatest unibrow in history!
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    That's actually a caterpillar making its way across Wally's face. :-)
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Any of his last cards with a butterfly on his face?
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He certainly has hall of fame eyebrows. Nothing common about those babies.~ >>

That might be the greatest unibrow in history! >>

Andy is very upset that you did not consider him!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Those cards have great eye appeal!
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    Hell of a post for #500 CocoaBeach.....good luck to many Moonshots!
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid player!

Perhaps a "common" to the rest of us, but if he was your favorite player he's a Hall-of-Famer to you!

Also going to make for a MUCH less expensive player collection. Good thing Mantle or Clemente weren't "your" guys!!!!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Newest pick up, a Moon RC:
    Only 4 to go:

[URL=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/mankin043/media/1954wm_zps66c2be10.jpg.html]image[/URL][/IMG]
  • Options
    Newest pickup: Well, I was certainly wrong in thinking it would be easy for me to pick up Moon's at a decent price in auctions. This one I was lucky to find it on 4SC & got at a very reasonable price.

[URL=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/mankin043/media/1958wm_zpse1734258.jpg.html]image[/URL][/IMG]
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Moon was a Rookie of the Year, and was a well known player, for that reason
    his cards command more than the average common, so, I would say no,
    he is definitely not a common.

Also, I was always pleased when I sold Wally Moon cards.

Nice bunch of cards there, thanks for sharing.

Good for you.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats on your newest addition. So how many cards are in the basic set?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on your newest addition. So how many cards are in the basic set? >>

Just 12, from 1954 to 1965. Only need 3 to go, then it will be time to upgrade. I also want to work on his master set but I feel like I've got my hands full with Post War HOF Rookies, autographed Dodger baseballs & Puig basic set. I don't know how you guys do it with 20-30 sets or more? image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wanna see Wally Moon in action? Here's a game video on Youtube with Wally Moon playing for the Dodgers.

1959 Dodgers vs Cardinals
  • Options

<< <i>Wanna see Wally Moon in action? Here's a game video on Youtube with Wally Moon playing for the Dodgers.

1959 Dodgers vs Cardinals >>

Wow, does that bring back some memories!

In case you do not watch this video, Wally Moon & Duke Snider with RBI singles in the 1st. Don Zimmer gets tossed on a 3rd strike call, Roger Craig has the worst 3 at bats in history, score tied in the 9th Wally Moon takes one off the screen to throw out Musial trying to stretch a single into a double, future NL president Bill White with a rbi triple in the 10th, Cardinals beat the to-be world series champs.

Thanks for the link, Gemint.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 54T is a beauty Mike!

IMO, he had a better than average career - and as Steve said - ROY.

If I had to do a set of a favorite player that might appear to be a common? It would be Pedro Guerrero - 15 seasons, .300 BA; 11 seasons with the Dodgers - .309!
    Mike
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That's actually a caterpillar making its way across Wally's face. :-) >>

Lol
  • Options
    No Wally Moon registry set is complete without a trip to Wallymoon.com and a copy of his book...

Moon Shots
  • Options

<< <i>No Wally Moon registry set is complete without a trip to Wallymoon.com and a copy of his book...

Moon Shots >>

Yes, In fact, I have an autograph copy. Also, if you look on page 226, you will see an email that I sent Wally a few years ago.

[URL=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/mankin043/media/wm_zps1626ab86.jpg.html]image[/URL][/IMG]
  • Options
    That book and setup are awesome. When I started collecting as a kid in the early 90's, the '57 Topps Wally Moon was one of the first 3 vintage cards I ever owned. I didn't know anything about him at the time, but I've been interested in him since. He seems like a pretty interesting guy from the website.
  • Options
    I really admire your Moon collection. In some ways it reminds me of my Gino Cappelletti collection. Keep up the good work and please continue to post scans as you round out your registry.
  • Options
    CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭
    Well, it's finally 100% complete and just in time. This is my first #1 current set. image

Wally Moon
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work image

I always liked the 62T variation - is it on your horizon?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Congrats, that's quite the impressive set with that GPA! Always great to see somebody achieve a goal like this.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done! It's always great to see someone set a goal for themselves and then reach it.

So what's your next project?

Dave
  • Options
    Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. As far as the 62' variation, I picked up a nice raw one so I need to send it in with another couple of cards for the master set, but no rush on those.

As far as future projects, my main focus are my HOF rookies. That will probably take me many years to complete since I am retired now & do not have the income that I once did.

I need 2 cards to complete my Puig rookie player set & I want to upgrade the Moon set in time. I know what an effort it is for me just working on a few sets, so I am always amazed how those of you that have many projects continue to grow your collections. My hat is certainly off to you! I would though some day, like to start a 1957 set in PSA 7 condition.
  • Options
    It looks like there's quite a bit of room there to expand the Moon master composite too. I see some OPC and Venezuelans that aren't listed as part of the composite, and there might be oddball issues too. Whatever you decide to focus on, have fun! I really like player collector threads and a lot of the best ones are less heralded players.
  • Options
    Nice to see another Wally Moon fan. I met Mr. Moon once in 1967 when he was the baseball coach at John Brown University, after he had retired from baseball. I was trying out for a baseball scholarship at the university. Super nice guy. After the introductions and pleasantries he asked me to warm up my arm and he'd be back to be my catcher, I was a lefty pitcher. Sandy Koufax was my baseball idol as a teen and I kept thinking to myself as I pitched to Mr. Moon, I'm actually pitching to a guy that played alongside Sandy Koufax for eight years. After that I worked out with the team and threw some batting practice. Before we left he sat down with me and critiqued my pitching, very honest and straightforward. Needless to say that was one day I will remember for the rest of my life. I always liked to watch Wally Moon play, but after that day I became a true Wally Moon fan.

Nice thread and very nice registry set.

I have a Wally Moon gallery set-up that has a lot of his cards and some neat pics, going back to his Texas A&M days, if you want to check it out.

Wally Moon
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Excuse me while I browse this collection of Wally Moon cards.