Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: The other thing I collect...Post other stuff you collect!

So I know a lot of other guys collect different things. This weekend we were in southern Indiana and I came across this. It's a part of the other stuff I collect. They make this close to where I grew up in Kentucky and have been around for a long time. I picked it up for $1...vintage bottle. If you want to know more about them, here's the link...

Link

I also have an old wooden crate that they came in, a vintage bottle opener, and a vintage general store sign. The stuff is hard to come by to say the least. Especially the vintage stuff. They still make it and every once in awhile when I get back to Kentucky I'll grab some.

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I did collect old Mountain Dew bottles at one time. Have a full one from 1969.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    This is the other thing that I collect, and I know that I am not the only one.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Chris

I was watching an episode of Extreme Collector where a guy had the most incredible collection of rare bottles. What was scary was how he had a bottle worth over 10K just up on a shelf near a window.

I have one bottle - here's the bottom - Pluto Water - 1920/30s - it's a companion piece to a spinner baseball game that Pluto Water put out as a premium.

Mike
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Thank goodness it's not grills...image

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Guru, I see those ale81 bottles and crates regularly at the auction house down the street from me: Green Valley and they go for killer prices. If there's anything you want me to keep an eye out for, just let me know as I try to get out there every other Friday.

• Options
    edit: delete double post.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank goodness it's not grills...image >>

Ha! image

Well, my new grill is killer. It keeps a lickin and keeps on tickin. Last summer we were on vacation and came home to it turned upside down at the bottom of our property in a ditch. Wind picked it up and rolled it or something while we were gone. Pounded out the dents and fired it up.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I collect books as well, but not the classics like Patrick. I have certain favorite authors that I have collected in 1st edition/1st print hardcover. I've had a lifelong love for reading - I never go anywhere without a book, and I have many that I have read two or three times. In the case of the LOTR/Hobbit/Silmarillion, I have probably read those up to 10 times each since I was a kid.

When I was a kid I collected bottle caps, coins, stamps, comic books and baseball cards (duh!). I used to have a killer bottle cap collection and was especially keen on variations. That allowed me to have a LOT of Lucky Lager caps!
  • Options

<< <i>I collect books as well, but not the classics like Patrick. I have certain favorite authors that I have collected in 1st edition/1st print hardcover. I've had a lifelong love for reading - I never go anywhere without a book, and I have many that I have read two or three times. In the case of the LOTR/Hobbit/Silmarillion, I have probably read those up to 10 times each since I was a kid.

When I was a kid I collected bottle caps, coins, stamps, comic books and baseball cards (duh!). I used to have a killer bottle cap collection and was especially keen on variations. That allowed me to have a LOT of Lucky Lager caps! >>

Love Tolkien!

[URL=http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/mullinspw5/media/75729df7-6899-45d2-95c2-cd0ea7d8c1c3_zps9b7cb314.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    TNP777: Since you mentioned stamps, this is an album that I recently sold to the F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum. It's an album that F. Scott Fitzgerald bought his daughter, Scottie, while in Paris so that she could collect stamps and keep busy while he wrote and Zelda pursued ballet.

• Options
    Wow Patrick! That is AWESOME!
  • Options
    Those are some very nice pieces Mullins. I enjoy reading as well. I am a huge fan of Charles Dickens.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>Those are some very nice pieces Mullins. I enjoy reading as well. I am a huge fan of Charles Dickens. >>

Thanks, I love Dickens as well. A few months ago I picked these up at a local auction along with a couple first editions of "Gone With The Wind"

[URL=http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/mullinspw5/media/260e5aac-3a1b-4ee4-916d-789704e24d02_zps51aa8ca5.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/mullinspw5/media/3af25c9e-f0b5-4171-9eca-0773cb3fa821_zpsd288b850.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    Very nice. In what year were the Charles Dickens books printed?
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice. In what year were the Charles Dickens books printed? >>

1890s. Beautiful books, but unfortunately can't be read without in interior falling apart :/
  • Options
    MULLINS5: Being an F. Scott Fitzgerald guy, do you have an opinion on the tobacco card backstamps that some people attribute to him? I've never really bought into it, but the two I had went for more than twice what they should have and I'm sure the backstamp was the only reason why.
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Someone who visits my house would suspect I collect road/triathlon bikes and tennis shoes...but along with my sports cards and memorabilia i also have a modest gold coin collection
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread, Guru! I also collect antique bottles, particularly blob top bottles from mid to late 19th century. I love the thicker glass and craftsmanship put into the production of these bottles and the tiny imperfections in the glass, like air bubbles and seeds which show up nicely in natural daylight. Here are a few pics:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I collect BB guns. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    I am also an avid collector or original vintage negatives. Most of these are 8x10 Kodak safety film negatives, and the older ones are actually on panes of glass, which I've always found pretty cool. Remarkably, the glass negatives produce an even sharper image than images from modern film negatives.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Many of these are negatives taken by surveyors when construction was being done or streets were being widened, with the India ink denoting location and date on the negative itself. Those markings can be removed with acetone, but I kind of prefer them.

• Options
    Here are a few more, from Queens:

Broadway, Woodside/Sunnyside area, 1/8/30, complete with cobble-stone street

The fire alarm box in this image is still in use today, I believe. You can also rent a 5-room apt and refrigerators are included!! Woo hoo, LOL!

Before the A&P, there was Atlantic & Pacific:

Trolley bound for BAY RIDGE, Brooklyn:

Shoe repair shop on Water & Broad Street, NYC, 1928:

Myrtle Avenue and Wyckoff Avenue, Ridgewood, Queens, 1940s, with the "El" in the background.

Close up of right and left sides of preceding image:

• Options

<< <i>I am also an avid collector or original vintage negatives. Most of these are 8x10 Kodak safety film negatives, and the older ones are actually on panes of glass, which I've always found pretty cool. Remarkably, the glass negatives produce an even sharper image than images from modern film negatives.

image >>

Those are really nice Tim!! Surprised you don't have negatives of the old LIRR trains.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike! Yes, I do have some from LIRR, also~I'll have to dig them out.

That kid in the too-big overcoat and striped stockings above could be your grandpa! LOL!

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Those are awesome, Tim. I like looking at older photos to see what familiar places used to look like.

The only other thing I used to avidly collect was Dark Shadows memorabilia (1966-1971). My mother got me hooked on the show when they started airing the reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel in the early 90's. Aside from the paperback books, comics, games, etc, I have an original script from one of the episodes that belonged to one of the mainstay actresses in the series, which she signed. That's probably the coolest item in my collection.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    There are no other things. Seriously, I collect old copies of Bridge World magazines.
  • Options
    Those images are incredible. Very nostalgic. Thanks for sharing them Grote.
  • Options
    Since we are on the topic of original photographs, I wanted to show off an original photograph that my 16-year-old daughter took at the Yankees game on Friday night. We are both very proud of it. Here it is.

• Options

<< <i>Since we are on the topic of original photographs, I wanted to show off an original photograph that my 16-year-old daughter took at the Yankees game on Friday night. We are both very proud of it. Here it is.

image >>

Awesome job by your daughter on the picture. Now you need to print it out and get Jeter to sign it for her. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Now you need to print it out and get Jeter to sign it for her. >>

I was actually considering that. He is scheduled to do two private signings with Steiner in September, but I am afraid to call for pricing. I am guessing that they will at least charge $200 for his autograph on a personal item. I will at least have it professionally framed.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    Nice collections, everyone.

I collect a few other things...some coins...some antiques
    of various kinds...stereoviews from the late 1800s...and
    45rpm records.

Mostly the 45 collection is centered around R&B vocal
    groups of the 1950s, but pretty much all 45s from the
    '50s and '60s have found their way into my record boxes.

Mostly I like things like this...

...and this...

That sort of thing.

John

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Photo's aren't showing.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I know. I'm working on it. Didn't link the
    way I wanted it to.

John

~

Okay, links are working now.

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    I collect toys from the 1950s or so along with 50s Lobby Cards of Sci-Fi - Thriller - Horror movies.

Buck Rogers appeared in the August 1928 issue of Amazing Stories - the character on the cover isn't Rogers but rather The Skylark of Space.

In 1939 Universal Pictures ran a 12 part serial starring Buster Crabbe as Buck Rogers.

When I was a kid, everything space was pure science fiction. We pretty much take for granted how far our country/world has come with respect to technology - especially noteworthy in our movies.

And finally, a favorite toy I had when I was a kid was the "Official" Buck Rogers Sonic Ray Gun!

I was hoping some of you would get a kick out of one of my favorite toys - with the box - a major plus - tho I'm missing the instruction booklet.

The box and side panels have some pretty cool graphics IMO - I remember laying in the bed at night and lighting up the ceiling.

and the inside box with insert where the gun rests - also a plus.

t's cool to note the gun handle "houses" the Cyclotron Chamber. Wow! image

And Lobby Cards.

One of my favorite - The Thing - 1951

Of interest, the "monster" was played by James Arness (Gunsmoke) brother of Peter Graves - of TV's Mission Impossible.
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone, those are some great pieces. Have you ever read any of the books that collected the newspaper dailies? They are a lot of fun to read. They were published in 2008.

• Options

<< <i>I collect BB guns. image >>

Are they allowed in LI Mike?

They were against the law in Queens when I was kid.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Stone, those are some great pieces. Have you ever read any of the books that collected the newspaper dailies? They are a lot of fun to read. They were published in 2008.

image >>

No I haven't Mikey.

Your daughter took a really nice pic. What did she use?

Superb!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

They were against the law in Queens when I was kid. >>

I only use them over at Tim's house. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>Your daughter took a really nice pic. What did she use? >>

She used a Nikon D5100. I have no idea what that means. I just asked her and she told me. image
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guru, I see those ale81 bottles and crates regularly at the auction house down the street from me: Green Valley and they go for killer prices. If there's anything you want me to keep an eye out for, just let me know as I try to get out there every other Friday.

There isn't really much that I collect these days. The Superman 1940 Gum set as a father/son build, and my "Great Gatsby" collection of every American and UK edition (have all except for the original 1925 dust jacket that's $100k+)...but with the "Gatsby" books, they have a price and I'm happy to part with them at anytime. I sell books online and make custom jackets to fit various editions of vintage books. Here's a few pics:

image[/URL] >>

That place is cool. When I went to JMU in Harrisonburg, I would go to the Green Valley Book Fair to stock up on history books since I was going to be a history teacher.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 3:57PM
  • Options
    Great stuff, guys!

Mikey, that photo is outstanding and exhibits a great sense of composition as a photographer.

I also collect (as my sig line suggests, lol) early American copper coins graded by the coin side of CU~PCGS.

I can't afford a 1793 chain cent (the first cent struck by the United States Mint), but I love the 1794, even if it is in lower grade (but with smooth surfaces and no corrosion or porosity which is very common on these early American copper coins):

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

They were against the law in Queens when I was kid. >>

I only use them over at Tim's house. image >>

I have a permit.. image

• Options
    Page turn image

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

Mmm... wiener beer. image

I don't know why old photos like these captivate me so much, but I find myself studying them as I encounter them some reason.

As for me, I'm a bit odd in that I limit my collection to sports cards & memorabilia. As I understand it, most hardcore collectors tend to have a number of collections.

Snorto~

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! Tim I absolutely LOVE those pics, outstanding stuff!

Im a AK-47 type Gun Collector, here are a few pics..

Not anything card related but it is what Im collecting, the All Black one is very hard to find these days as its made in Russia and the United States no longer imports arms from there, the shorter one is a Chinese model customized with all neccesary US made parts for compliance purposes.
  • Options
    Thanks, Paul and Scott!

Note to self: Don't tick off Paul over on the Sports Talk forum.. image

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, Paul and Scott!

Note to self: Don't tick off Paul over on the Sports Talk forum.. image >>

• Options

<< <i>Tim those Queens images are awesome. I love being driven through on the way from the airport to Manhattan when my wife and I travel there.

However, we once took the most hair raising bus ride of our lives from LaGuardia through Queens.

I swear the driver could not have been more than a few inches from the cars on the street while going between 25-50MPH at any given time!image

Man those streets are packed with parked cars!

I was never so glad to be let out on 42nd Street in my life!

Great collections fellas. >>

Thanks, Robert, I appreciate the kind words!

Yes, one of the interesting parts of looking at these photos, especially those from the earlier part of the 20th century, is how many fewer cards were on the street!