Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Epic Mail Day

Today might have been the greatest mail day I can remember. Had been away 5 days, so the mail piled up. The biggest highlight was 2 Gino Cappelletti autos TTM, which you can see HERE

Also in the mail was a package from Kyle (LarkinCollector). He and I just made a big trade, at least our 5th one, and there was lots of cool stuff in there: lots of Tom Brady cards, several Yaz cards, but the highlight for me was adding these 2 bad boys:

The Beck, of course, is a 1934 Goudey and Babich is Diamond Stars, one of my very favorite sets. DS were distributed for 3 years, but I was able to narrow down that Babich is from 1935 and the variation with green type on the back. These are my first cards from each issue and I only own one card that's older. I know they won't grade highly, but given their age I'm still thinking of subbing. Thanks again Kyle!

Lastly was a 1951 Bowman Dan Bankhead, purchased off Steve (wilkiebaby11). This was the 5th card I've gotten for my 1951 Bowman Brooklyn Dodgers registry team set and is the highest graded one I have so far. I've purchased 2 of the 5 from Steve and really appreciate him keeping an eye out for me. Here is the Bankhead, as well as a 51 Eddie Miksis I got a week earlier for the same set, but never posted. That one came from board member bobsbbcards, another of the numerous great guys on here.

imageimage

As always, thanks for letting me share!

Comments

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups Dan. Didn't realize you liked the Brooklyn Dodgers or so it seems from this thread. Pee Wee Reese is one of my all time favorites. Would love to get one someday. Thank you for sharing!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks again Kyle! >>

Any time, we always come up with some interesting trades! Nice work on the 51B Dodgers image
  • Options
    Goudey, Chicle, and Bowmans (oh my!)... looks like we have another vintage convert in the making. image

It's a slippery slope, Dan... I thought I would dabble in a few vintage cards and now half my collection is vintage. image

Congrats on the additions... now go pick up some Leafs! image

Snorto~

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Dan, great job with the pick-ups. You have developed some great diversity in your collection.
  • Options

<< <i>... looks like we have another vintage convert in the making. image
    It's a slippery slope, Dan... I thought I would dabble in a few vintage cards and now half my collection is vintage. >>

Oh I've been a vintage guy for a while. Just usually the vintage I'm picking up is 1950-79. Yes, Yaz master set goes thru 1984, and I strayed from vintage in collecting Tippett. But with my Cappelletti collection I'm right back on that track.

Mike, I'm not a Dodgers fan, I'm a Red Sox fan. The way I started this project is kind of strange. When I decided I wanted to start collecting graded cards, my first purchase was the 51 Bowman Carl Furillo PSA 5.5 and Billy Cox PSA 6 in a lot for $14. Too good to pass up! The fact that they were both Dodgers was coincidence. As my graded collection grew and I was introduced to the set registry I thought "what the hell, may as well continue with that team set." My Grandpa grew up in Brooklyn as a Dodgers fan, so collecting it makes me think of him. Pee Wee is one of the 3 HOFers in the set. My budget dictates that I'll need to get him, Snider and Campanella in a PSA 4, so I'll be focused on eye appeal and maybe bump candidates.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickups Dan.

I am a Dodger fan but not a dedicated card collector.

I would like my next additional card focus to be a player set - Duke Snider - not graded.

thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Only fools collect old Dodgers.

Nice cards, Dan!
  • Options
    Holy Crap! There was a thread about actual cards on the board today! Very cool cards!!!! Enjoy!!!
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are some nice pick ups. Despite my unopened collecting, I am not much of a baseball guy. I am gearing towards some vintage baseball in the near future with one of my newest collecting focuses. Always nice to see your new additions!
    Steve
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, I'm not a Dodgers fan, I'm a Red Sox fan. The way I started this project is kind of strange. When I decided I wanted to start collecting graded cards, my first purchase was the 51 Bowman Carl Furillo PSA 5.5 and Billy Cox PSA 6 in a lot for $14. Too good to pass up! The fact that they were both Dodgers was coincidence. As my graded collection grew and I was introduced to the set registry I thought "what the hell, may as well continue with that team set." My Grandpa grew up in Brooklyn as a Dodgers fan, so collecting it makes me think of him. Pee Wee is one of the 3 HOFers in the set. My budget dictates that I'll need to get him, Snider and Campanella in a PSA 4, so I'll be focused on eye appeal and maybe bump candidates. >>

Interesting the stories behind why we collect what we collect. Thanks for explaining the logic behind the madness. I think you'll be able to find some really nice PSA 4's for those players. Looking forward to eventually seeing Pee Wee make an appearance. Best of luck with the set.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike, I'm not a Dodgers fan, I'm a Red Sox fan. The way I started this project is kind of strange. When I decided I wanted to start collecting graded cards, my first purchase was the 51 Bowman Carl Furillo PSA 5.5 and Billy Cox PSA 6 in a lot for $14. Too good to pass up! The fact that they were both Dodgers was coincidence. As my graded collection grew and I was introduced to the set registry I thought "what the hell, may as well continue with that team set." My Grandpa grew up in Brooklyn as a Dodgers fan, so collecting it makes me think of him. Pee Wee is one of the 3 HOFers in the set. My budget dictates that I'll need to get him, Snider and Campanella in a PSA 4, so I'll be focused on eye appeal and maybe bump candidates. >>

Interesting the stories behind why we collect what we collect. Thanks for explaining the logic behind the madness. I think you'll be able to find some really nice PSA 4's for those players. Looking forward to eventually seeing Pee Wee make an appearance. Best of luck with the set. >>

I should have included that I think the 51 Bowman set is a really good looking set. I love my PSA 4 Don Newcombe and I'm looking forward to adding the preacher roe. Google the Roe, it's an awesome looking card.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Oh I've been a vintage guy for a while >>

Ah, Dan, I didn't realize you were already collecting vintage. For some reason I thought you were mostly an 80's guy with a few exceptions like Yaz and Cap.

<< <i>Interesting the stories behind why we collect what we collect. >>

I could not agree more, Mike. Seeing all the different things people collect, and why they collect them, is one of my favorite parts of these forums and this hobby as a whole. image

Snorto~

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice Dan! You know I love me some Dodgers.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.