Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

MAIL CALL! Look what showed up at my house today...

Who's excited?

THIS GUY!

Anybody else?

Comments

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    now that everyone knows where to meet up.....let's see what's inside
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Might want to black out your address if it's not too late especially if that is a 1975 product. Congrats!
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Might want to black out your address if it's not too late especially if that is a 1975 product. Congrats! >>

this is Texas, you really wanna come on in uninvited and see what's inside? i'll change it just to make people feel safer. image
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Might want to black out your address if it's not too late especially if that is a 1975 product. Congrats! >>

this is Texas, you really wanna come on in uninvited and see what's inside? image >>

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FASC? Or a box made from mini wax trays? image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Cut the tape with my Bowie knife…

• Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    From the Group Break??
  • Options
    Showing a little more…

• Options
    Tell me there's more than just a Herb Williams in there lol
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    sorry, i'm entertaining myself by reading the wax tray into wax box becoming from a sealed case and then returned to undo the labeling thread…

YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN THE LABEL ON THAT HERB YET! Wonder what it says?
  • Options
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Was Dimitri Young a big Herb Wiliams fan?
  • Options
    And there HE IS! My $6,000 Herb Williams PSA 9!

Seriously, just look how fresh those colors are, and tight corners!

• Options
    Oh, and there were a couple boxes of cards in here, too.

Ones a little nicer than the other, but they both look pretty good to me. Not that I would be a great judge, since these are really my unopened collection to date.

• Options
    And the sticker...

• Options

<< <i>And there HE IS! My $6,000 Herb Williams PSA 9!

Seriously, just look how fresh those colors are, and tight corners!

image >>

R/L centering keeps it from a 10??
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I bet you that HENRY GAYLON MATTHEW WEBB never thought people would be spending $3,000.00 to buy a box of cards with his picture on it!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    i like to send all my 10s back to be reholdered into 9s.

i mean, as soon as they leave the printing press they can't really be considered gem mint anymore, can they?

I submit to you they cannot.
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and there were a couple boxes of cards in here, too. Ones a little nicer than the other, but they both look pretty good to me. Not that I would be a great judge, since these are really my unopened collection to date. >>

Wait. You STARTED your unopened collection with not one, but TWO, 1975 Topps Mini boxes FASC?

That's hardcore!

Adding a 1989 Upper Deck Low # box after that is kind of anti-climatic. image

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh, and there were a couple boxes of cards in here, too. Ones a little nicer than the other, but they both look pretty good to me. Not that I would be a great judge, since these are really my unopened collection to date. >>

Wait. You STARTED your unopened collection with not one, but TWO, 1975 Topps Mini boxes FASC?
    That's hardcore!
    Adding a 1989 Upper Deck Low # box after that is kind of anti-climatic. image
    Snorto~ >>

was wondering when someone would catch on to this. image

yes, i STARTED my unopened collection with a pair of 75 mini boxes. i'd been reading the threads and discussing this stuff for a few weeks as several people would know.

i had a real hangup when it came to the potential "break value" of a box, my thinking being that if i don't have a decent chance of breaking even if i open the box and grade some cards, then how do i ever justify the premiums?

Grote15 was pretty patient with me through some of those posts, so he deserves some recognition. i don't know him other than exchanges on threads here, but i do appreciate the posts.

i then started thinking about the various types of boxes, particularly the "from a sealed case", the "black X" stuff, etc. i DID understand that there were boxes marked as "authentic" that would have absolutely been put together from various sources, and i decided i didn't want any of that stuff. call me an unopened "purist", but i still think the potential of what's inside HAS TO MATTER. if there's risk it's been searched and replaced, it's not pure enough for me. i can't see why anyone would pay any premium for such a thing, and if you're just going to look at it then who cares if the packs have been resealed? it's visual at that point, so the better looking the better. what's inside becomes somewhat of a distant thought in terms of the value. at least that's my take on it. and because i don't know anything about sequencing, racks and cellos are out for me unless they come out of a sealed case.

HOWEVER, I honestly DID NOT know there was a risk of boxes out there that potentially had been pieced together in some way and got the FASC designation. I'm probably still a little skeptical that it's actually happened a lot, but that's another topic for a 300+ post thread!

anyway, i have always LOVED the 1975 set, those wild colors and the centering problems, just everything about them makes them so 1970s, you know? and then having MINI cards of them, that's just so retro it's cool! i love these cards.

I missed out on a 75 mini graded set auction not long ago, and was really mad at myself. i should have bought that set, it went way too cheap in my opinion considering 75% of what it went for would have been GRADING costs alone. 1975 regular boxes are just beyond what i'm comfortable spending on a single box, so when this came up i decided it was the way to go until i find another reasonably priced graded set, at which point i just might switch out. i know what case these came from, so does everybody else, there should be zero question about these boxes. that's valuable in my view, and i suspect it may just matter more going forward in light of the recent discussions.

i'm trying to get educated on some other boxes that would interest me going forward, but i'm probably still. going to be a "sealed case break" buyer only, or if i'm buying something that says FASC i'm going to make sure i know which case and when so i have the provenance for it.

things i'm definitely interested in are 81, 84, 85 and 86 Football. i think i missed the fleer basketball, but i could potentially be convinced to take on a 1987 or 1988 box or two if the price was right.

just like the look of 83T Baseball and that was the first thing I ever opened when I was a kid. i think the 84 fleer updates could hold some good upside if the steroid thing eventually dies down, but might just be better off grabbing clemens graded cards. i'm also potentially interested in some 86 update/traded and 87 product, but would likely go sealed case route on those since they aren't that crazy expensive.

we shall see what happens, but i'm definitely not going to be trying to put together some big run of boxes. i don't like looking at them that much, i'd prefer to look at my autographs!