Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1978 Topps Rack rips

So just busted three 1978 racks. Here are some of the tougher and notable cards. Well sorry - Jerry Morales snuck in there. He's neither tough nor notable.

Sorry the cards are in a jumble. My rips are now like Richard Pryors first appearance on SNL - on a tape delay and censored!

Nikklos

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

OC or not, it is always nice to pull a Trammell (w/ that Moli guy on it too). Looks like you did well with in not having much of the print defect extra ink splotches that are so commonly near the bottom on front.

• Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! It's not the nicest specimen but it was certainly a thrill to pull that card!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Double post
    Nikklos
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, it's always a thrill to see star power pulled! (maybe I'll do some ripping tonight too)
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for sharing, it's always a thrill to see star power pulled! (maybe I'll do some ripping tonight too) >>

Wow if this post had that effect, my work is not for naught! These packs are to be enjoyed!!

Admittedly, the stakes have gotten prohibitively higher these days. I wish I got back in the hobby ten years ago. I'd have been ripping everyhing in sight.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Great job on the rip and thanks for sharing. It happens less and less frequently these days.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Great job on the rip and thanks for sharing. It happens less and less frequently these days. >>

It is certainly problematic these days.
    Nikklos
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Great job on the rip and thanks for sharing. It happens less and less frequently these days. >>

It is certainly problematic these days. >>

I remember when I first joined this board that a rip thread would get tons of action. It is sad when some people like to just argue all the time to hear how smart they are. I think we need more threads like this...jmho.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i> I remember when I first joined this board that a rip thread would get tons of action. It is sad when some people like to just argue all the time to hear how smart they are. I think we need more threads like this...jmho. >>

So go ahead, Mike, start ripping
    Nikklos
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I remember when I first joined this board that a rip thread would get tons of action. It is sad when some people like to just argue all the time to hear how smart they are. I think we need more threads like this...jmho. >>

So go ahead, Mike, start ripping >>

That is what Tim (Grote) is for. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the chops on that Foster.

ETA: and that Carew has always baffled me. Who thought getting a photo of him in the middle of changing hat/helmet was a good idea?
  • Options

<< <i> ETA: and that Carew has always baffled me. Who thought getting a photo of him in the middle of changing hat/helmet was a good idea? >>

Wow never looked at it that way but that's what it is. I always thought of it as an action shot.

All these years I was picturing him barreling into third on a triple. Wow, my illusion is shattered. He's just switching helmets!!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Great Rip! Wish it was getting more attention. Did the heart skip a beat when you saw the Molitor? image

Jeremy
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Nice rip. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Chris, you pulled some nice sharp cards. Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>reat Rip! Wish it was getting more attention. Did the heart skip a beat when you saw the Molitor? >>

Absolutely. That thrill just never gets old.

Thanks guys!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    thanks for sharing. enjoy seeing these rips. congrats on the molly and the other crisp cards.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I love to follow your rips.. this one isn't 1970 but still very nice.
    Unopened never had a chance with me and I could never
    even think about becoming an unopened collector. These things were made to be ripped opened and enjoyed. JMHO.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Lynn is a pop 0 in PSA 10. Centering is a bit tough on these, but I think you have a couple of sharp cards in the mix. I think the Molly has a good chance at PSA 8.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. You make it difficult not to rip open. I just received my first ever 1979 three pack from BBCE and have been undecided about the big question of to rip or not to rip.
  • Options
    Love the Molitor/Trammell! Would love to own one someday.
  • Options

<< <i>These things were made to be ripped opened and enjoyed. JMHO. >>

Dennis, I hear you, Brother.

Tim, some of the cards are sharp. Lynn looks nice but I'm not holding my breath on a 10.

JBrules - you should do it. It would be great to see what's in those trays. You'll
    have a blast. Could wind up being a winner too!

Dan - I hope you get that Molitor. It can be had pretty reasonably in an 8.

Guys i'll have another '78 rack posted tomorrow.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that 78 Rookie shortstop card, UL Washington looks like he is about 45 in that picture.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for ripping these Nikklos. I would love to have the thrill of pulling a Trammell/Molitor rookie from a pack one day. That was pretty cool.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for ripping these Nikklos. I would love to have the thrill of pulling a Trammell/Molitor rookie from a pack one day. That was pretty cool. >>

The crazy thing is that I halfway expected there to be a Molitor/Trammell RC in the cell. I am no 1978 sequencing expert but Rob Bellior was on the back of the cell and twice in recent years, I have pulled the Molly and there has been a Bellior (and Richie Zisk) in the pack. Zisk was in this one too.

Food for thought! Start checking your packs!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Great rip, thanks for sharing... 1978 is one of my favorite years (along with 79). Never get tired at looking at those two sets.
  • Options
    Another rack

Some tough ones sprinkled throughout the nicer ones.

Nikklos
  • Options
    Nice and sharp stuff. Is the Molly have a ding to the left top corner? Or is that just the scan? Nice pulls though!
  • Options
    Not sure about the corner on the Molly. Will check before deciding to sub. I know I was already on the fence.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I see the guy who invented the high five (allegedly) among the last group of cards you posted.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    I think he was also the first openly gay player in MLB as well.

And he is a toughie in PSA 10 in 1978!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember when I first joined this board that a rip thread would get tons of action. It is sad when some people like to just argue all the time to hear how smart they are. I think we need more threads like this...jmho.
    >>

+1
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not a bad Molly Nik! Notice it doesn't have that distracting red smudge that many RCs have.

Thanx for sharing.

I echo what (CPA) Mike said about productive posting.

Every now and again, when a thread gets a bit much, we may see it as entertaining.

However, sometimes the OP is hurt. Sure is a big difference between laughing with and "at" someone.

This is what collecting is all about - it's just that sometimes the board goes astray and needs a little "nudge" to get back on track. And hopefully threads like this help.

Mike
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Those are some very nice cards Nikklos. I particularly like the Willie Randolph card. Very sharp. Good luck with your submissions.

Great photo Stone.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

<< <i>That's not a bad Molly Nik! Notice it doesn't have that distracting red smudge that many RCs have >>

Yep Stone but it looks like may have some black stuff going on instead! Have to check on that top left corner. I think it'd be reaching for an 8. More likely, 6 or 7.

MikeyP - I really like the Randolph too. First, it was one of my fav cards as a kid but also this one is a blazer. I think it was a toughie when I checked it.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think he was also the first openly gay player in MLB as well.

And he is a toughie in PSA 10 in 1978! >>

I could be wrong but, I don't think he came out until his playing career was over? Interesting story nevertheless.

By the way, I applaud you for having the courage to crack some of this stuff. I hope your grades make the rips a winning endeavor.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Man, I'd love to rip '78s again. Last time I did I was 12. Prices have appreciated somewhat since then, right?

Fantastic cards, OP!
  • Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Nice pull on the U.L Washington rookie image