Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

LarkinCollector's Barry Larkin Cards/Memorabilia Thread (Update 11/18)

I figured it was about time to start one of these threads, rather than posting random ones every now and then, to keep it consolidated for those interested. Today was a good mail day, since I finally picked up the only minor league item related to Barry that I've been able to find.

It included an entertaining article "Lots of Ammunition in the Cincy System" about how Larkin was going to need to move to 3B, since Stillwell was about to take over the Reds SS job. Also included were the team stats/rosters for the 7/10/86 game, so this was just a month and 3 days before his Reds debut after Stillwell had already fizzled. Other eventual major leaguers on the Zephyrs roster at the time included Paul O'Neil, Chris Sabo, and Kal Daniels. I would love to find something from Larkin's stint at Vermont in 1985, but haven't come up with anything so far. More to follow....

Comments

• DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    I like the idea. Like I like this story:

Schembechler, then coach at Michigan, was among many who recruited Larkin for football. Larkin went to Michigan and was a football redshirt as a freshman, then told Schembechler he wanted to play baseball only. The fiery Schembechler was furious.

“He said, ‘Larkin, this is the University of Michigan!’” Larkin told ESPN Playbook in a recent interview. “No one comes to the University of Michigan and plays stinkin’ baseball!”

Schembechler went on: “You get out of this office, and you come back tomorrow when you come to your senses!”

Larkin went back, said he was sticking with baseball, and thought that was it. Except that Schembechler occasionally visited Michigan baseball practices and razzed Larkin:

“Larkin! Come hit a man who can hit you back instead of that sissy baseball!”
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the idea. Like I like this story: >>

That's awesome, never heard it before! A Michigan card from his playing days would have been great as well; I have the 1991 issue (probably several), but it's not the same.

ETA: At 6'0"/190, baseball was a much better choice for him.
  • Cool stuff. It's about time you started a thread like this! As you know, I live in Vermont, so I'll see if I can dig up any Barry items from his time here.
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>It's about time you started a thread like this! >>

+1

Long overdue. I love seeing hardcore player collector's hoards. I look forward to your updates.

Snorto~
  • redlegsredlegs Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of my favorite Larkin cards.

<< <i>Here are a couple of my favorite Larkin cards. >>

So jealous of the Aqueous Test card, I've been looking for one off-and-on for several years now.
    Picked this up from Topps Vault a couple months ago, the match print photos from front and back of his 1996 Bowman card and the envelopes as it worked it's way around Topps QC. I love picking up some of the items from there, especially as inexpensive as some of them go for.

• I gotta start checking out that Topps Vault!
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I gotta start checking out that Topps Vault! >>

Me too. I've seen some of the coolest stuff from the vault. Very cool Larkin memorabilia and cards.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

<< <i>

<< <i>I gotta start checking out that Topps Vault! >>

Me too. I've seen some of the coolest stuff from the vault. Very cool Larkin memorabilia and cards. >>

Thanks! I highly recommend checking out the Vault, just don't bid me up on any Larkin/Bench/Rose or Star Wars items image

Dan, no Yaz stuff recently or I would have let you know. Time to start watching for Tippett or Cappelletti though with FB season almost here.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Wait, this isn't the Mets appreciation thread.

Nice Larkins though. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>Wait, this isn't the Mets appreciation thread.

Nice Larkins though. image >>

You're right, did you get lost? image

Thanks, I enjoy them image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> figured it was about time to start one of these threads >>

Looking forward to it.

Very nice pickups on the match print photos. I'm a fan. Just that some go for righteous bucks.

If you remember I did a writeup on the types of proofs.

Little trivia - using the term "match print" is like using Q-tip, scotch tape or Kleenex.

"Matchprint" is actually a trademark item and is an example of a "Layered Proof."
    Mike

<< <i>

<< <i> figured it was about time to start one of these threads >>

Looking forward to it.

Very nice pickups on the match print photos. I'm a fan. Just that some go for righteous bucks.

If you remember I did a writeup on the types of proofs.

Little trivia - using the term "match print" is like using Q-tip, scotch tape or Kleenex.

"Matchprint" is actually a trademark item and is an example of a "Layered Proof." >>

Thanks, ! The Larkin's are usually pretty reasonable, but can go for anywhere from $13-45 with most selling in the $20-25 range. I keep an eye on the Rose and Bench stuff as well, but only end up with those if they slip through the cracks on some of the 80s oddball issues.

I'll have to look up that writeup, I don't recall reading it so it was either before my time here or at least before I understood they were accessible via the Vault.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    LC, I love this thread, even though it is in its infancy. I can't get enough of Lark' and Reds stuff in general!

<< <i>LC, I love this thread, even though it is in its infancy. I can't get enough of Lark' and Reds stuff in general! >>

Thanks, and me either. Coming soon, unopened packs so Mike doesn't feel lost.....
    A complete run of the Kahn's Reds sets that contained Larkin from 1987-2004. Most are pictured are as issued, with the first 3 cards from one of my opened 87 sets (I'm sure I still have one or two unopened, but couldn't locate them this morning). The 87 Kahn's Larkin is a super tough card in high grade due to the thin cardstock and white frequently showing on at least one of the corners straight out of the pack. Last time I checked, there were none graded higher than PSA8.

At the end is one of the gifts I've received from board members (a big thanks to itzagoner once again!), an 87 Donruss rack with Larkin on front.

• Is that 87D Larkin a RC?

<< <i>Is that 87D Larkin a RC? >>

Yes, it is.
    A couple more recent pickups, I'm working on all the 86/87 Larkin's in PSA10. The green back is the toughest of the Classic varieties as a POP 5 (green border on the front is a POP 10 and sells for well over what this one goes for), the yellow is a POP 26.

• Wow, nice!
  • 1all1all Posts: 506 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd contribute my only Larkin item of note..... -Doug

<< <i>Thought I'd contribute my only Larkin item of note..... -Doug >>

Nice, I still need to pick up one of those.
    Finally got around to picking up the Opening Day PSA10 to go along with the regular (factory set) PSA10, now I just need one of the regular (wax) to complete the Donruss portion of the rookie run:

Edit: Changed to a scan w/white background.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two really nice "tough" cards - black borders always look really nice!

This is one class HOF player - not talked about enough.

Mike

<< <i>This is one class HOF player - not talked about enough. >>

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Love the 1987 Donruss. What a loaded set, and a nice design. Opening Day is an underrated set.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Kyle, quick question: what's the difference between the factory set and wax pack copies?
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is one class HOF player - not talked about enough. >>

Absolutely.

<< <i>Kyle, quick question: what's the difference between the factory set and wax pack copies? >>

The backs are rotated 180 degrees, so in the PSA holder the number on mine is at the bottom (factory) and on the wax it would be on top (near the PSA label).

• << <i>

<< <i>Kyle, quick question: what's the difference between the factory set and wax pack copies? >>

The backs are rotated 180 degrees, so in the PSA holder the number on mine is at the bottom (factory) and on the wax it would be on top (near the PSA label). >>

Interesting. But they don't differentiate these on the flip?

<< <i>

<< <i>

The backs are rotated 180 degrees, so in the PSA holder the number on mine is at the bottom (factory) and on the wax it would be on top (near the PSA label). >>

Interesting. But they don't differentiate these on the flip? >>

Nope, along with all the other obvious Donruss variations through 1993-ish?
  • Some aren't so obvious but something like that should definitely be noted.
  • Great stuff here! Very nice.

• << <i>Great stuff here! Very nice. >>

+1. Nothing beats PSA 10 RCs of your favorite player!

<< <i>

<< <i>Great stuff here! Very nice. >>

+1. Nothing beats PSA 10 RCs of your favorite player! >>

Thanks for the kind words all, now on to Topps w/thanks to MiniDuff for the Tiffany's (below is my 'keeper' and the other is in the auction thread)....

• jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Keep these 10's coming!

<< <i>Keep these 10's coming! >>

Your wish is my command image

I went to check the mail after the Topps post and my 86 Sportflics Rookies had arrived to go along with the 87 Reds Team Preview that also includes Barry. I'm still befuddled why none of the other 86 issues included him in the Traded/Update sets. This is his only XRC....

• Love the 86 sportflics. I've got a Bo XRC from the same set.
    A couple new one's arrived last week while I was away, Fleer's are now complete....

I think I'm down to three 86/87 Larkin's to go in PSA 10, two will be fairly easy (87D - Wax variation and 87 Toys 'r' us) and the third currently impossible (87 Kahn's Reds).
  • I like the look of those. I thought you told me you got the glossy but missed out on the other one. Either way, congrats!
    These beauties arrived today, 4 of the 5 original 2001 Topps Larkin slides from the Topps Vault. I'm a little sad I was the underbidder on the 5th one, but excited to add these to the Larkin collection.

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Great additions!

<< <i>Great additions! >>

Thanks! More unopened should be next, just waiting on the last package to arrive.
  • Cool items. Are the slides all from his base Topps issue that year? If so, why did it take 5 slides?

<< <i>Cool items. Are the slides all from his base Topps issue that year? If so, why did it take 5 slides? >>

Good question, I'm still trying to map the photo from each slide to which card it came out on. Definitely not all from the base card that year.
    Some recent pickups....

99 Finest Gold Refractor /100

PSA10 of the other 1987 Donruss rookie (Factory & Wax)
    Gift from a prior board member (previously shown in another thread)...

Some Topps racks with his rookie card showing on front....