Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why is Jackie Robinson not in the 1951 Bowman set?

I have a registry set I'm slowly working on, 1951 bowman Brooklyn dodgers team set. It's always bothered me that it doesn't include Jackie. It includes Duke, Pee Wee, campy and hodges, but not Jackie. Anybody know why??

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I think cuz they wanted people to ask this question image

It would have been nice...he was in 49 and 50...but not in 51 on up. I would have loved to have seen him in the 53 Bowman Color set.
  • Options
    I've known he doesn't appear in bowman after 1950, but never heard an explanation why.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of "what if" 50s cards. How about a 48B Jackie? 51 Topps Red or Blue back Jackie? 57 Topps jackie would have been awesome too.
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    Maybe somebody somewhere produced a "what if" 51 bowman Jackie. If so, it would be really cool to add it to the 20 card set.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    How many more baseball related threads is it going to take before Andre Tippett shows up at your front door shirtless, in need of a hug?? You should stop now.
  • Options
    Actually, Andre Tippett is permanently in my home shirtless, on his 80's pinup "strangely erotic" pro line card.... And thanks to my contest, a copy of that titilating card now also resides in Phil's home.

I'm 99% done with my Tippett goals, just need to sub my nicest copy of his RC and obtain his 94 finest refractor and I'm "done." Lately my football attention has been paid to Gino cappelletti cards from the 60s. I haven't decided whether to work on his player registry or stick with raw.
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, Andre Tippett is permanently in my home shirtless, on his 80's pinup "strangely erotic" pro line card.... And thanks to my contest, a copy of that titilating card now also resides in Phil's home.

I'm 99% done with my Tippett goals, just need to sub my nicest copy of his RC and obtain his 94 finest refractor and I'm "done." Lately my football attention has been paid to Gino cappelletti cards from the 60s. I haven't decided whether to work on his player registry or stick with raw. >>

I live in iowa city
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually, Andre Tippett is permanently in my home shirtless, on his 80's pinup "strangely erotic" pro line card.... And thanks to my contest, a copy of that titilating card now also resides in Phil's home.

I'm 99% done with my Tippett goals, just need to sub my nicest copy of his RC and obtain his 94 finest refractor and I'm "done." Lately my football attention has been paid to Gino cappelletti cards from the 60s. I haven't decided whether to work on his player registry or stick with raw. >>

I live in iowa city >>

You keep saying that. Are you sure you don't live in Arizona?
  • Options
    Probably an exclusive contract with Topps starting in 1951. To the best of my knowledge his only non-Topps card after 1950 is the 1952 Berk Ross, which is now believed to be an unlicensed issue.

There's other post-1950 non-Topps Jackie Robinson stuff such as Star-Cal Decals, Canadian Exhibits, New York Journal-American, Team Schedules, Team Picture Packs, etc. However, those aren't technically "cards" even though they look like (and many people consider them to be) cards when put in PSA holders.

Just a guess but likely accurate.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I believe Jackie was under contract with Topps. I think I remember reading somewhere
    it was because of a radio show that Topps sponsored that he hosted.

OBB would be a great source for validation.

Good for you.
  • Options
    What is OBB?
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I meant to write OBC Old baseball cards.

It's a group of guys that trade, sell, write, etc about BB cards...

George Vrecheck is the main writer.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Bowman missed the boat . . .

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry I meant to write OBC Old baseball cards.

It's a group of guys that trade, sell, write, etc about BB cards...

George Vrecheck is the main writer. >>

That's a good call, Sideline Steve. George might be just the guy to ask.

Dan, I will shoot him an email and see if he knows.