Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Safe recommendations

Well, I never thought it would happen but while we were on vacation my son called to say the house had been broken into. The thieves waited for him to leave and then kicked the front door in. Fortunately a friend came ten minutes later and interrupted them, so they ran to their car and left. Everyone is safe and they only got some jewelry but my gun cabinet had been ripped out of the wall and they left it by the front door.

Time to get a real safe. Not really looking for one with a high fire rating, but one that will prevent a burglar from getting into it.

Any suggestions?

"Molon Labe"

Comments

• WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your home break-in. Glad to hear nobody was hurt.

I would look into renting a safe deposit box at a bank. Probably no safe is burglar-proof but with a bank, the thieves have to first get into the bank itself, then get into the vault, then just happen to choose your specific safe deposit box. That's my 2 cents anyway. Best wishes whatever direction you choose.
  • NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    But it would be tough to get to the guns if they're at the bank!
    Nikklos
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But it would be tough to get to the guns if they're at the bank! >>

Obviously just talking about collectibles.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Mark. We've never been broken into but I did have $450.00 blower stolen out of my truck before. I felt so violated.

Anyway, why not get a home security system as well? If they broke in once, they may be back.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Yep Matt a home security system will also be installed! Btw the gun cabinet was for the cards and I knew it was really just a deterrent but never thought I'd need more than that.

"Molon Labe"

<< <i>Yep Matt a home security system will also be installed! Btw the gun cabinet was for the cards and I knew it was really just a deterrent but never thought I'd need more than that. >>

Good to hear!
  • I have a Hallon 2 hour fire proof safe. I was surprised by the ratings when I first started researching safes. Higher end safes (not the ones at the sporting goods store) offer burglary times of 10-15 minutes. In other words, it would take a thief who knows what he is doing 10-15 minutes to crack it. I guess I originally thought it would take a thief much longer than that to get in. I'm hopeful that most thieves don't want to stick around that long. Regardless of what direction you choose, I would recommend a safe that is heavy and mount it to your floor. My safe is 440 lbs empty and bolted to the foundation.
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Sounds you need a better a front door! I think it worth investing in a safety storm door.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    One question that might be helpful to the OP is, do you guys feel that the electronic style safes (where you punch in a code) are more effective than a dial or key style? Personally, I love technology, but I would feel apprehensive with an electronic interface because, what would happen if there is a power outage or the power feed to the display dies?
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One question that might be helpful to the OP is, do you guys feel that the electronic style safes (where you punch in a code) are more effective than a dial or key style? Personally, I love technology, but I would feel apprehensive with an electronic interface because, what would happen if there is a power outage or the power feed to the display dies? >>

There's typically an internal battery backup, at least on the gun safe I own and others I've looked at. I like the fact that mine has an internal motion detector and will alarm if someone attempts to move it as well.
  • Get a dog
    Have a safe with key and key pad have to do both. Has battery back up.
    Make it heavy. I can't move mine.
    I have safe box at bank for items.
    Security system Normally lowers insurance cost.
    Make sure you have pictures or loaded on psa to back up insurance claim
    Insurance company needs to be aware of before claim. Mine cost 80 per year extra.
    Video camera real or fake. Not a high cost item these days.
    Real a fake sign for dog.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Liberty Safes are probably the nicest brand of "affordable" home safe on the market; that said depending on the specs (fire rating, pin count/size, hinge type, etc), they can run in the 10s of thousands.

Bighorn Safes are much more affordable, offering many of the same properties of the USA made Liberty Safes (and other BIG brands), but made overseas for a reduced cost. Costco has a contract with Bighorn and oftentimes has their models on sale for great prices.

My main safe is a Bighorn, topping in at around 1000 lbs empty, with 2 inch pins along all four sides of the seal, heavy gauge steal, and extended fire rating...with a lifetime warranty on the safe; they'll replace it after fire or burglary damage. At 6ft tall, 2.5ft deep and 3ft wide, it has a large footprint. I also have smaller biometric safes in various locations to keep home protection devices out of harms way.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
    Good advice, thanks.

Detective on the case says the break-in gangs hate video surveillance so that's a definite.

"Molon Labe"

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mark

Geez, I'm sorry to hear about his.

I bought this safe at Lowes - cost me about 700 delivered and it's in the back bedroom - and impossible to life out easily - weighs over 400 lbs.

Exterior Height (Inches) 55.0
    Exterior Width (Inches) 20.25
    Exterior Depth (Inches) 19.0
    Interior Height (Inches) 52.69
    Interior Width (Inches) 16.65
    Interior Depth (Inches) 14.91
    Interior Lighting No
    Holds Number of Guns 24.0
    Capacity (Cu. Feet) 11.96

They do have digital type combination types also.

I had posted this pic in a few threads - there's bigger and smaller depending on budget and room.

I find this one to be fine.
    Mike
    That's a nice size safe Mike - did you bolt it to the floor? I've read a couple big guys with a dolly can snag a pretty heavy safe.

"Molon Labe"

• A dog is the #1 deterrent for thieves. We had a very friendly Pitbull but he would bark loudly at any noise by the front door.

A safe is good if you don't want to display your cards.
    Normally thieves head to the Master bedroom as that is where most people keep valuables like jewelry. I put my cards in the basement on display. It's probably the last place they would go.

<< <i>A dog is the #1 deterrent for thieves.. >>

I agree. We have a German Sheppard. There's nothing better than having a 24 hour security guard with big teeth lol.
    My dog went and hid in the bedroom.

"Molon Labe"

<< <i>My dog went and hid in the bedroom. >>

Oh no lol!

<< <i>That's a nice size safe Mike - did you bolt it to the floor? I've read a couple big guys with a dolly can snag a pretty heavy safe. >>

Not yet Mark, but it will be when I redo the closet.

I have an alarm system - they don't have enough time to get it out of the house.

We accidentally left the door in the garage ajar and the cops were there within 4 minutes. I'm lucky we have that kind of response time here.
    Mike
    Nice response time! Installing home security with motion sensors and video as we speak.

"Molon Labe"

• AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Your safe needs to be bolted to the floor (and properly bolted with anchor bolts). If the thieves can get it on its back they are going to get it open, it is all about leverage. I also highly recommend the safe being hidden as much as possible. A false wall in the back of a closet, hidden door under a staircase, a small corner room with a hidden door disguised as a pillar or air return are a few ideas. This greatly decreases the odds that burglars will even spot the hidden safe since most are only in the home for 5-15 minutes max. The main benefit is the protection in the event of a home invasion, if two men kick in the door while you are home and find the safe they are going to put a gun to a family members head and force you to open it. I am sorry to hear this happened to you, it is an awful experience.

Skip to 2:43 in this video

<< <i>Your safe needs to be bolted to the floor (and properly bolted with anchor bolts). If the thieves can get it on its back they are going to get it open, it is all about leverage. I also highly recommend the safe being hidden as much as possible. A false wall in the back of a closet, hidden door under a staircase, a small corner room with a hidden door disguised as a pillar or air return are a few ideas. This greatly decreases the odds that burglars will even spot the hidden safe since most are only in the home for 5-15 minutes max. The main benefit is the protection in the event of a home invasion, if two men kick in the door while you are home and find the safe they are going to put a gun to a family members head and force you to open it. I am sorry to hear this happened to you, it is an awful experience.

Skip to 2:43 in this video >>

Sound advice Colton.

I'm going to have my safe hidden behind shelf in my side of the main closet in my bedroom - if it's practical.

On the home invasion thing? That always scares me since I don't like the idea of leaving a gun on the table to protect us. It'll hardly do any good in a lockbox in the closet IMO.
    Mike
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    My strategy is to just not have anything worth stealing.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001

<< <i>My strategy is to just not have anything worth stealing. >>

Lol!

Unfortunately, people will steal pretty much anything. I once had on old, broken down push mower on my back driveway. This thing looked like hell with missing parts, you get the idea. One day I pushed it outside the drive gate so I could pressure wash the driveway. I few hours later, after I finished, I went to get the mower and it was gone. I couldn't believe it but this time, the scumbag thief actually did me a favor image
  • bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I left a busted electric mower in my side yard (easily visible from a busy street) for months and not one decent thief would take it.

<< <i>I left a busted electric mower in my side yard (easily visible from a busy street) for months and not one decent thief would take it. >>

Lol! Send it to me. I'll take care of it for you image
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Some great advice on this thread... a hidden safe secured to the floor + an alarm system + collectibles insurance = peace of mind.

Snorto~