Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I bought the card, not the holder.

It was hard to come to terms with, but I just paid $25 more for a PSA 5 1952 Robinson, then a PSA 6 sold for just a few days earlier.

But I think I made the right purchase.

-Jason

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    THAT, my friend, is worthy of a 6.5 price!

BEAUTIFUL card. AWESOME color and nice centering!

ENJOY.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Awesome card. I would choose that 5 over the 6 anyday of the week.

Marc
  • Options
    mbz430embz430e Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Nice choice, all day long. Centering makes the card look better than its grade! I love sharp crisp corners but only if the card is centered. Nice purchase!
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickup! You bought the card and got the holder for free.
    Daniel
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Shoot, even the corners on your five are nicer than the six, great job! Enjoy! Love those 52s
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573
    How did that even get a 6? Your pickup was leaps and bounds ahead.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    OUTSTANDING JOB!!!!!! I would buy your card any day over that 6.

That is what drives me so crazy about the grading game. Those cards are in the wrong holders.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I support this move.....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Excellent example of independent thinking

Congratulations!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I support this move..... >>

and if you didn't, you would put it in a sleeper-hold

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Probably got a wrinkle somewhere on the five.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could not applaud your choice more. Way to go and way to buy the better card; I agree the 5 is the superior card, no matter what the technical and subjective assessment was. Fantastic example of an amazing card that is high on many a collection want list. Major congrats!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I echo what everybody else has said. Great choice and you should have no regrets. You will enjoy not being so concerned with a number on a flip. Awesome card. Congrats!!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    nice get!!

congratulations she's a beauty
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Topgun6580Topgun6580 Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Wow good for you! That's helluva 5!
  • Options
    jasoneggertjasoneggert Posts: 486 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the great comments!

I definitely feel I made the right choice. Sometimes you have to pay a premium to get the right card. I have been looking for a great 52 Robinson for a long time, and eye-apeal has always been more important to me than the number on the flip.

I appreciate your words of encouragement!

I am actually glad that there must be a surface wrinkle or some other flaw to keep this out of a 6 or 7 holder, otherwise I would not have been able to afford it!

-Jason
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    great card, i was watching this one, and was going to bid on Sunday, but it went a bit over where i was looking to spend.

agreed it's a great 5!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Very wise move on your part Jason. I must tell you that I have a tough time with this issue on my sets. It really bothers me when the lower graded cards looks better than the higher graded card. When you are battling it out on the Set Registry the decision becomes more difficult. Great card my friend.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Probably got a wrinkle somewhere on the five. >>

An Unfortunate +1. Still a tremendous looking 5 though.
  • Options

<< <i>Very wise move on your part Jason. I must tell you that I have a tough time with this issue on my sets. It really bothers me when the lower graded cards looks better than the higher graded card. When you are battling it out on the Set Registry the decision becomes more difficult. Great card my friend. >>

I hear you all the way on this and well said; it can definitely be a frustration but rest assured most of your fellow collectors-- like all those who've responded on this thread-- will always see the cards themselves as what counts, way, way more than a GPA. Just typing 'GPA' reminds me of school and stress, and cards are the opposite, LOL. The "standings" may say one thing, but the eyes know what's what. Definitely a cause for happiness when the better card has cost you less than what was paid for a less attractive yet higher graded one image

ToneD, your gallery link is OUTSTANDING. That red portrait Cobb is simply off the charts. Talk about eye appeal. Wow.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the 6. That severe tilt and banged up corners do something to me that I can't describe....LOLimage
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    You made the right purchase Jason. Congratulations.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    ssshhhhwwweeeeetttt!!! Congrats!
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    That's a heck of a card Jason, congratulations
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Great pickup here

Think of the extra 25 bucks as fee for all the positive reinforcement you get here image
    Congrats
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    WOW! Simply WOW!

This is what collecting is all about. i hope to drive some dealers nuts next week with things like this image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>Great pickup here

Think of the extra 25 bucks as fee for all the positive reinforcement you get here image
    Congrats >>

I am definetly feeling the love!

-Jason
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    My goodness, that's gorgeous. I'd much rather have the 5, too. Congrats on the pickup, Jason.

That makes two '52 Jackies for board members in the past week. image
  • Options
    WOW, that is an INCREDIBLE card! Terrific color! Enjoy it.
  • Options
    ToneD, your gallery link is OUTSTANDING. That red portrait Cobb is simply off the charts. Talk about eye appeal. Wow. >>

Much appreciated. image
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ToneD, your gallery link is OUTSTANDING. That red portrait Cobb is simply off the charts. Talk about eye appeal. Wow. >>

Much appreciated. image >>

Please be aware that clicking on the link in Tone D's signature will trigger a malware re-direct.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ToneD, your gallery link is OUTSTANDING. That red portrait Cobb is simply off the charts. Talk about eye appeal. Wow. >>

Please be aware that clicking on the link in Tone D's signature will trigger a malware re-direct.

image >>

That's news to me and not intentional. How does that happen?
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Great move on your part. Congratulations on an outstanding card. The colors are popping.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Nice card on my 2014 want list
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

That's news to me and not intentional. How does that happen? >>

Some PC users get that notification from the collectorfocus.com site, but it's all good; I have clicked on through on my cousin's and dad's PCs and all was fine.

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    I know the pictured PSA 6 conforms to the 80/20 centering minimum for ExMt grades, but that PSA 6 is PSA 6 OC all day long.

Your PSA 5 >>>>>>>>>>> the PSA 6

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    great card, enjoy
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    The 6 makes the 5 look like an 8.
  • Options

<< <i>The 6 makes the 5 look like an 8. >>

There was an 8 up on eBay, but was taken off. Only cost about $9000 more than my 5.

-Jason

• Options
    Pretty sure I'd take your 5 and a low grade Cracker Jack Cobb or Shoeless Joe over the 8 image

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, What a fantastic looking card. Congrats on the pickup
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

Some PC users get that notification from the collectorfocus.com site, but it's all good; I have clicked on through on my cousin's and dad's PCs and all was fine. >>

Thanks again. Appreciate the info.
  • Options
    It will be a very good mail day for me today!

I can't wait for the mailman to show up! Hurry up already!

-Jason
  • Options
    Having just had a terrific mail day myself, I'm really really happy for you. Congrats again!
  • Options
    Lee17Lee17 Posts: 31
    Very nice purchase. You would made the right decision, I would have taken the 5 over the 6 all day long.
    Successful transactions with:
    bighurt2000
    gaspipe26
    CDsNuts
    grote15
    fattymacs
    bballjunkie
    rajah424
    DanBessette
  • Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Great card. I didn't see it til after it ended or I would've bid on it! image

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    My 52 Robinson arrived today! It looks amazing in person. I am so happy!

Here it is in its new home. Looks pretty good next to my 53 Dodgers team ball.

-Jason

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that looks great! Looks right at home for sure.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I bought the holder, not the card!

Just kidding, great card Jason!