• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    And it is in a new style slab. Wonder how the back looks? image
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    obvious misholder
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the equal or even bigger error will be some dude who pays 9 money for that sticker.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    someone will
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ugh

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>obvious misholder >>

Well, here's the irony behind that if what you are saying is true............

A. The original owner of the card did not send it back to PSA and let them know of their mechanical error.

B. The auctioneer of this card obviously had no conflict in listing this card as a PSA 9.

Seems to me that not only is it an "obvious misholder", but you had two parties (submitter and auctioneer) who have
    done nothing to correct the issue.

Doesn't speak well for PSA, The Owner, and Probstein123
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    whaaaaaaat? no "CENTERED"? image
  • Options
    I agree with Fitz--such an egregious error should be stated by the seller.

Itz, that is hilarious! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    It's a misholder.

Original submitter should have corrected it and didn't. That's their bad.

Probstein, IMO, has no business saying "that's not good enough to be a 9 - we won't sell it". They sell what is consigned to them.
  • Options

<< <i>

Probstein, IMO, has no business saying "that's not good enough to be a 9 - we won't sell it". They sell what is consigned to them. >>

There are many 1970's Kelloggs card in PSA 9 and PSA 10 holders that (because of the way they're made) have developed cracks through the
    center of the card over time after being slabbed.

These cracks go right through the center of the card. It is VERY noticeable.

I'll send you 20 of these and you can auction them off for me without even mentioning anything in the description.
    You are not obligated to say a thing, because as you've said, you are just the auctioneer, and are not concerned with the integrity of the hobby.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>obvious misholder >>

Well, here's the irony behind that if what you are saying is true............

A. The original owner of the card did not send it back to PSA and let them know of their mechanical error.

B. The auctioneer of this card obviously had no conflict in listing this card as a PSA 9. >>

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "irony." Troubling, disappointing, sure. Not ironic.

Edited to add: maybe you should check whether Alanis Morrissette is single.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "irony." Troubling, disappointing, sure. Not ironic.

. >>

Irony.........
    a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

A. This is a state of affairs or event

B. This event is deliberately contrary to what most hobby people expect from people of integrity

C. This is amusing to me, that people in the hobby (especially Probstein123) would not try to remedy this mistake.

Class dismissed
  • Options
    OK, PM me for shipping address. Thx.

Srsly though, I hear complaints like this that significantly misunderstand the size and scope of major auction houses/consignors. Many handle 1000s, or possible 10000s, of items monthly. Would it be your expectation that each checks every card to make sure that each card's centering falls within PSA's standards? Unlike factual errors, grading is both subjective and a matter of expertise. It simply isn't the place of consignment sellers to second guess and pull cards based on their own beliefs about grading. That would be completely arbitrary and frustrating for the buyer, in addition to the obvious logistical impossibility.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, PM me for shipping address. Thx.

Srsly though, I hear complaints like this that significantly misunderstand the size and scope of major auction houses/consignors. Many handle 1000s, or possible 10000s, of items monthly. Would it be your expectation that each checks every card to make sure that each card's centering falls within PSA's standards? Unlike factual errors, grading is both subjective and a matter of expertise. It simply isn't the place of consignors to second guess and pull cards based on their own beliefs about grading. That would be completely arbitrary and frustrating for the buyer, in addition to the obvious logistical impossibility.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. >>

+1. No different than it is in the slabbed coin arena. I've seen high graded pieces that are ugly as a toad and I've seen those that to me, appear undergraded as well. Don't get hung up on the label.

If you buy the item and not the holder you'll do just fine.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

. >>

Irony.........
    a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.

A. This is a state of affairs or event

B. This event is deliberately contrary to what most hobby people expect from people of integrity

C. This is amusing to me, that people in the hobby (especially Probstein123) would not try to remedy this mistake.

Class dismissed >>

It would be ironic if, after waiting 100 days (supposedly) for your sub, and after writing this thread bashing Rick, if a bunch of your cards came back in 9 slabs, even though they deserved 6's. Don't even try to tell us you'd send them back.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i buy from probstein all the time, and overall am very happy with him. they offer good cards at auction, they combine shipping costs and send stuff fast. not interested in debating whether there may be some "bidding irregularities" at times, that's going to be true of just about any seller. i can say for me anyway, the items i've won have been at fair prices or even sometimes at great deals, which is what i'd expect of no reserve auctions.

they use a standard listing template that normally just states the card for sale, they provide adequate pictures and they will answer questions most of the time.

the picture on this one is plenty good enough so you know what you're buying, i don't see that they've done anything to somehow impair the "integrity" of the hobby

could they have just told the consignor they'd rather not sell this one? yeah, maybe.

is it their job to insist it go back to be qualified? absolutely not.

should they have mentioned it in the auction description? again, maybe, but they gave a pretty good photo of it so unless the buyer is actually blind then i don't see that they've misrepresented anything here.

probstein is running an auction to sell to the highest bidder, and the bidders know exactly what they're getting. i don't see any reason to criticize them over this one.

if you want to talk about "integrity" of the hobby, then PSA is who you should be complaining about. how this slipped quality control is the real issue, because if it said 9(OC) or 9(MC) we wouldn't even be talking about it. mistakes happen, this is obviously one and one that should have been avoided. but that's PSAs issue, not Probsteins.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Since I have to be nice now all I have to say is WTF?
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Does PSA monitor items like this and do what it can (place bids) to try and win the auction so it can take this item out of circulation? With items that appear extremely mis-graded you would think they would want to eliminate the conversation of integrity and save the embarrassment. It slipped quality control the first time, now they have the chance to correct it and save face.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes....a minimum of 3 graders and a quality control guy looked at that card. If I hear another person say this statement, I'm going to blow a gasket. It just isn't true. When they are backlogged....you can bet that many times it's 1 grader and out the door.
  • Options

<< <i>Does PSA monitor items like this and do what it can (place bids) to try and win the auction so it can take this item out of circulation? With items that appear extremely mis-graded you would think they would want to eliminate the conversation of integrity and save the embarrassment. It slipped quality control the first time, now they have the chance to correct it and save face. >>

LOL at this as well.

Sorry people, I don't mean to be rude, but do you have any idea of the number of items that PSA has graded? We expect them to have an eBay staff to monitor auctions for potentially misgraded cards? And, auction houses too? Get real.

There's also no way to draw the line. That PSA 7 NM that has a slightly too-touched bottom-left corner? The Mint 9 with the kind of too noticeable print dots?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does PSA monitor items like this and do what it can (place bids) to try and win the auction so it can take this item out of circulation? With items that appear extremely mis-graded you would think they would want to eliminate the conversation of integrity and save the embarrassment. It slipped quality control the first time, now they have the chance to correct it and save face. >>

LOL at this as well.

Sorry people, I don't mean to be rude, but do you have any idea of the number of items that PSA has graded? We expect them to have an eBay staff to monitor auctions for potentially misgraded cards? And, auction houses too? Get real.

There's also no way to draw the line. That PSA 7 NM that has a slightly too-touched bottom-left corner? The Mint 9 with the kind of too noticeable print dots? >>

PSA does have a policy whereby they will buy back any holdered item which appears to be graded in error and will pay fair market value to remove the item from the marketplace.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    "Sigh."

~Cosmo Spacely~
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    The only one at fault here is psa for the error
    Not the owner and not the consignor
    If a buyer is dumb enough to pay 9 money for that, then that's his problem not the seller's
    I would be surprised if this got a VCP price
  • Options

<< <i>Yes....a minimum of 3 graders and a quality control guy looked at that card. If I hear another person say this statement, I'm going to blow a gasket. It just isn't true. When they are backlogged....you can bet that many times it's 1 grader and out the door. >>

I think this is true all the time, backlog or not
    Perhaps for high dollar vintage they have two graders take a look, but not for an 80s hockey card
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just one man's opinion, but I don't really fault the owner or the high volume seller (listing thousands of cards daily via some intern at a keyboard) for not pointing out the horrible centering; this flaw is evident to anyone with a pair of eyes. And bidders should act accordingly. I think the fault here lies with the one who stamped it a mint 9 card. For all we know a grader with a skull-splitting hangover really deemed it mint that day. Would it be nice for the owner to send it back and say, "You guys sure about this?" Sure it would, but pragmatically speaking, perhaps the man has a demanding career or family life, or just doesn't want to deal with the headache; ultimately he paid for a highly subjective service, an opinion, and it was rendered.

This is the subjectivity or human error of the grading game at play, and in my opinion a blown call like this should actually be rendered entirely moot by the eyes of collectors/buyers. The ultimate fail safe against such blown calls should be the eyes of the collectors/buyers; in an ideal world, this card should never sell for 9 money. We grade the grades with the amounts we bid and spend, and the market (ideally) can essentially speak and say what grade that card really is.

I would also add that PSA would likely make good, should an eventual buyer bring this card to their attention. I once had a similar situation and PSA was absolutely amazing in how they dealt with me and handled it. I paid for a card I liked, but believed it to be a process or mechanical error of some sort. They looked it over, told me what the grade should be, then told me what they valued it at in the proper grade based on SMR. They then reimbursed me for the difference and I got to keep the card in its proper holder. A customer could not have asked for more, given the initial mistake. And with such high volume, the occasional call will be missed, no differently than umpires do I'd venture.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

<< <i>The Grading Process begins at 1:53. >>

Yeah we've all seen that video
  • Options

<< <i>PSA does have a policy whereby they will buy back any holdered item which appears to be graded in error and will pay fair market value to remove the item from the marketplace. >>

Yep. A buyer could feasibly purchase the card and get a refund. But the idea that PSA should actively monitor and seek out misgraded cards without being notified is absurd.
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain this is a mechanical error whereby OC was either left off and another very nicely centered PSA 9 card in that sub has a qualifier. I have had this happen before where grade or player's name between two cards was mistakenly transposed.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    At least no Canadians will regretfully buy this card.
  • Options

<< <i>The Grading Process begins at 1:53. >>

Misholdering isn't due to misgrading. The card was most likely graded accurately 9Q and then placed in the incorrect holder due to error.
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it was originally submitted by 4_Sharp_Bob_Horners? image
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonder how the back looks? image >>

Well, since it is a Probstein auction, we'll probably never know what the back looks like, same as the rest of their listings image

Edit: Okay, they've gotten better lately at adding some back scans, but it still would be nice to have one for every listing despite the volume.

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    The card is obviously OC regardless of the reason behind it. Let's have a little faith in our free enterprise system and see what the winning bid ends up as. I am curious.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It's a PSA 11OC with no qualifiers requested.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a PSA 11OC with no qualifiers requested. >>

PSA 11? Gotcha covered:

If I had this card set, I'd hope every one of them would be graded an 11.

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm fairly certain this is a mechanical error whereby OC was either left off and another very nicely centered PSA 9 card in that sub has a qualifier. I have had this happen before where grade or player's name between two cards was mistakenly transposed. >>

I'm in this camp, likely an error in the labeling process where the qualifier was withheld. P.S. - Love that cheesy music in the video!
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So let me get this straight. A submitter sees their run of grades and says "Oh man this should be a PSA 9 OC and I am going to send it back and tell PSA they made a mistake."

Um no. There might be 1 in 10,000 who would do this. Everyone else would be thrilled.

You send in cards to get PSA's opinion. If you don't agree you are free to send it in again and see if they still feel that way but under no circumstances should the customer have to say you over graded my card.

What is the VCP on this card?

• Options
    By the way, there is no way to tell what happened here. I send my cards in asking for no qualifiers. The person who sent this card in may do the same thing too.

• Options

<< <i>By the way, there is no way to tell what happened here. I send my cards in asking for no qualifiers. The person who sent this card in may do the same thing too. >>

With left to right centering of 76/24 by my measurement, this card would be an unqualified PSA 6.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>By the way, there is no way to tell what happened here. I send my cards in asking for no qualifiers. The person who sent this card in may do the same thing too. >>

With left to right centering of 76/24 by my measurement, this card would be an unqualified PSA 6. >>

PSA 6

PSA 8

If you look at most of the copies under completed sales this looks like a card with very tough centering in general.

EBAY
  • Options
    Mechanical errors happen all the time.. This auction will be a test of card collector vs flip collector as bidding should cap at PSA 7 value.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

With left to right centering of 76/24 by my measurement, this card would be an unqualified PSA 6. >>

PSA 6

PSA 8

If you look at most of the copies under completed sales this looks like a card with very tough centering in general.

EBAY >>

Those examples, which I'm eyeballing, seem to be within the expected centering for their grade.

Centering has some pretty clear guidelines. Granted there is grey within these, when deciding which side of the border a card should fall on as that is left to the subjectivity of the grader. In the case of this card, because it is very close to the 6/7 border (and heck, I could have mis-measured in haste) there should be no objection to this being holdered as an unqualified 7. However, the difficulty in getting a centered copy should not make a difference. If the card falls outside the centering tolerances, to include the leeway given to a grader, for a given grade then it is simply undeserving of the grade. If you believe that PSA has more than one person review a card before going into a holder (and I happen to take them at their word) then you're left with a mechanical error on the flip considering such an obviously incorrect grade based on centering. I've had more than one mechanical error happen to me personally in the short time I've been submitting, so it's plausible. I'll concede that there is no way of truly knowing what happened. But we're making a best guess and I think if we're betting, this is where my money goes.
  • Options
    It could be a number of things. That was my point. There are enough experienced collectors on the boards to make an educated guess but that is all it is.

If an 8 goes for the low $20 range, it wouldn't seem like there is to large of a hurdle for this to pass a straight PSA 7.

I am not suggesting the tough centering on most copies should give a card a pass at all. If this was a true grade and not an error it could be that the edges are pristine and the corners are great and the grader knocked it down for the centering.

The only errors I am aware of that I have recieved are from labeling but that is much different then a card having the wrong grade on it.

On a near daily basis the cost off grading is discussed on these boards and it would seem that the submitter thought it was at least an 8 to send it in with the raw cost , the grading fee, shipping, and consignment costs.

It is on my watch list and it will be interesting to see where this card ends.

• Options

<< <i>The only errors I am aware of that I have received are from labeling but that is much different then a card having the wrong grade on it. >>

The plausible labeling error that is being suggested is that the typist forgot to add "(OC)" after the 9. Making it not a wrong grade per se, but omitting the qualifier.

I too will be watching, should be fun.
  • Options
    DezHoodDezHood Posts: 145
    Anyone know around what price a 7 and 9 should sell for?
  • Options
    The PSA 8 I posted above went for $20.99 plus shipping. I just checked and the card is at $46.00 currently so it will easily surpass what a PSA 7 generally sells for.

Yesterday I checked and the SMR had the PSA 8 at $15 and the PSA 9 at $95.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last one, which is a dog, sold for 27 bucks. High sales was $150 BIN. The $150 card could be a ten. Median is around 100 bucks for a decent 9, of which there are very few according to recent sales.

I'm actually surprised to see how high these sell, don't even know what the one in my set looks like.