Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Dealers at shows? What's your number one turn off.

I am only starting the topic based on a encounter I had this afternoon at Chantilly with a rude dealer. Once he crossed the line I put the item down and walked away (cost him a 550 dollar sale). I only inquired if I could possible purchase the item he had some other way than cash. I had spent at the show and was low on it. Credit card, pay pal instant transfer or possibly holding the item he became irritated and spat out I only take cash that's it! What do you do in that situation?

Comments

• mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Thank you have a nice day.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Most dealers at shows do not have alternatives for transactions other than cash or trade. In this instance, you were asking for a favor . . . a favor the seller obviously was not interested in obliging. His retort, while unpleasant, was specific and answered your question. The other aspect is that most dealers that I've come across that accept alternate forms of payment typically require credit card fees AND sales tax (whether they intend to pay it or not).

Chalk it up as a dealer with a bad attitude and move on...
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    It's his loss, but not everyone is set up for electronic sales. It would suck though if he had something you wanted.
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    sitting back-to-back at crowded 8 foot tables with a dude who just polished off a Number 5 combo. image
  • PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    It depends on who the customer is. If it were Chuck Norris, well then this would happen
  • PP another dealer in exchange for cash, then buy the card? Better to get what you want than decline over basically ego.
  • I realize dealers can get cranky, tired and sometimes they also deal with unpleasant buyers. It was his way of responding that irritated me. I didn't even hit him with "is that your best price". I commented that the price seemed fair only that it was late in the day i was short on cash and asked is there a way to figure the buy out, gave a few options and he spit out the cash bit. I simply put it down and walked off. Wonder if they don't realize most buyers come back to the same shows again and again. At Chantilly I have three to four dealers I hit up everytime.

• << <i>I am only starting the topic based on a encounter I had this afternoon at Chantilly with a rude dealer. Once he crossed the line I put the item down and walked away (cost him a 550 dollar sale). I only inquired if I could possible purchase the item he had some other way than cash. I had spent at the show and was low on it. Credit card, pay pal instant transfer or possibly holding the item he became irritated and spat out I only take cash that's it! What do you do in that situation? >>

I think if I found myself in that situation I would ask Prince Fielder to be my body guard (since he obviously has nothing better to do since he posed naked for ESPN magazine) and accompany me to the nearest ATM so that I could get cash.

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Number one turnoff is when dealers don't put prices on cards.

<< <i>Number one turnoff is when dealers don't put prices on cards. >>

And when you ask they immediately grab the latest Beckett...

• << <i>Number one turnoff is when dealers don't put prices on cards. >>

Same here.
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Same here. >>

Me three. And grabbing a Becket too.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    The ones who dress like this ... and we ALL know that AT LEAST ONE dealer does it at every show!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Or how bout the tables with more than one guy running them who don't break their conversation with each other and give you the time of day even though you are standing at their table looking interested. Of course I could hit them with an "excuse me" but I always just walk away.
  • GuruGuru Posts: 3,127
    As a dealer, when someone says to me it's cheaper on eBay. My first thought is then buy it on eBay. I mean seriously, if that is your first line of negotiating out of the gate you've got some work to do. Negotiating is a lost art.

I also don't like it when people who are going through my boxes set all of their junk on top of a box they're not going through limiting other people who are looking. I also hate it when someone hands me a 20 for a ten cent card. I'm not a bank.

As a buyer...the Beckett thing for sure. Also, I love to bundle products. Sometimes this confuses people so try to be careful and kind.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    As a buyer at a card show, definitely not pricing. Even though I have an idea of what I would pay for a card, I dont want to feel like the guy is sizing me up to determine what the price I would go up to is.

As a dealer, it is almost as annoying when other dealers come over and expect me to give them a special price simply because they are set up too.

The final thing is price guides, whether Beckett or any other one. NONE of them are even close to accurate and asking me to buy/sell based on that price when I know that some cards arent even selling for 25% of book. I understand that things sell cheaper on ebay and expect to pay MORE for cards at a local show, but I also get to pay LESS shipping and actually see who I am buying from and what I am buying
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
    Most annoying card show customer is the "I Got" Guy. This is the guy who goes from table to table starting conversations with the dealers and rattling off multiple sentences that start with "I Got". He isn't talking about stuff he has with him and would like to sell or trade, he's just telling people what he has in his collection at home.
  • Number One, by far, poor customer service which includes rudeness, ignoring you, unfriendly etc...

Most dealers & sellers are very enjoyable, entertaining, and just overall nice people. But there are those few that should not be allowed behind a table.
    We, as consumers, expect some degree of general customer service. Most people in resale have either gone to school, company seminars, or some type of basic training.
    But a self employed show dealer is not required to take any training. Mix that in with a basic miserable person, throw in a little "my poop don't stink" attitude and there you
    have that dealer we all hate. Bad attitude, no patients, my way or the highway!

I have been on both sides of the table (and store). I know as a dealer or seller, there are many things customers do that are also aggravating. But being trained well, you learn the best way to handle situations so that the customer is happy and you have been most productive at the same time.
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

And when you ask they immediately grab the latest Beckett... >>

I agree 100%
  • bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    Or how about when a dealer has some nice raw for sale, but he prices them according to what a PSA 8 or 9 would fetch. And of course that same dealer has graded cards in his cases too, making you wonder why a card "that's a lock 9 " hasn't already been graded.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak

<< <i>Dealers who don't accept credit cards or Paypal at shows are either morons, or insisting on cash deals to avoid reporting taxable income. Or both. This is the 21st century, it's not 1977 anymore. I suspect many are doing it intentionally. >>

Keep in mind that the cash discount is because a dealer isn't paying the credit card fee and said cash transaction may afford them the opportunity to "accidentally" not pay sales tax. A credit card transaction may cause the dealer to incur expenses in excess of 10% and the deal may not be as "promising" if they roll that expense back into the purchase price.

Alas, most people only think of themselves in these situations and rarely look at it from any perspective other than their own.

Whether the dealer reports the earnings or not, I operate on the assumption that they will and attempt to negotiate my best price and ask if they can do better for cash. This way, I've broached the possibility of alternate payment without making it seem like I'm demanding it. It is a more polite way to approach it and not put the seller in a corner. The worst they're going to say is, "That is my cash price."
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dealers who don't accept credit cards or Paypal at shows are either morons, or insisting on cash deals to avoid reporting taxable income. Or both. This is the 21st century, it's not 1977 anymore. I suspect many are doing it intentionally. >>

Reminds me of the time my wife and I were traveling and went to a Waffle House for breakfast. We sat down, ate or food and proceeded to pay. I whipped out my credit card and was promptly told "we don't accept credit cards". With a dumbfounded look on my face I asked the waitress if I was in the twilight zone to which she replied "nope, you're in Lake city Florida" haha!

I just pulled this from WaffleHouse.com:

"2006
    Waffle House System grew to 1,500 restaurants and took a step into the 21 Century by accepting credit cards in company-owned restaurants. Since 1955, Waffle House had been a primarily cash-based system."

It only took them 51 years to see how much money they were losing lol!
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I have no peeves anymore, since I gave up on shows years ago. My first show was when I was 16. I had worked for months and had about $800 in cash in my pocket. I approached a dealer and asked to look at some 50's and 60's cards and was basically told to pound sand. I ended up finding other dealers who were willing to accept my cash, but too many dealers I've met are fat, smelly know-it-alls who treat me like speaking to me is a gift of their presence. No thanks. I will sti k to the internet. There is a show in Raleigh every month. I live an hour away. You'll never see me there.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you Scott.

There are some dealers that are old school and only want cash. Also, from my experiences, you will get a better deal when buying in cash vs credit card or paypal. This is not just for cards.

What really "burns my beans" are dealers that completely ignore you. At the National last year, I was looking at a dealers table and saw some cards I was interested in. He was in a conversation with another guy about how he used to go to Brooklyn Dodgers games as a kid. I didn't want to interrupt them so I waited patiently for about 5 minutes. The conversation continues and I make it kinda obvious with my mannerisms that I would like to be helped. Nothing.......doesn't even notice I am there......and I am standing literally 1 foot from him. Another 5 minutes goes by and he just won't quit talking about his childhood. So, I just stepped away and walked on. He probably lost a sale and probably more than just me.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with you Scott.

There are some dealers that are old school and only want cash. Also, from my experiences, you will get a better deal when buying in cash vs credit card or paypal. This is not just for cards.

What really "burns my beans" are dealers that completely ignore you. At the National last year, I was looking at a dealers table and saw some cards I was interested in. He was in a conversation with another guy about how he used to go to Brooklyn Dodgers games as a kid. I didn't want to interrupt them so I waited patiently for about 5 minutes. The conversation continues and I make it kinda obvious with my mannerisms that I would like to be helped. Nothing.......doesn't even notice I am there......and I am standing literally 1 foot from him. Another 5 minutes goes by and he just won't quit talking about his childhood. So, I just stepped away and walked on. He probably lost a sale and probably more than just me.

Mark >>

I wouldn't ignore you Mark. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Most annoying is when a dealer has an expensive card in a screw down holder
    and when I ask to have it removed from the holder I either
    get the eye roll or told they don’t have a Philips screw driver.
    BTW I would not ask if I was not interested in purchasing it

<< <i>

<< <i>I agree with you Scott.

Mark >>

I wouldn't ignore you Mark. image >>

Thanks Buddy. image
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
    Inability or maybe unwillingness to price a card based on condition. No matter what the condition of the card, it's priced at "beckett" which in actually leads to another issue. As much as I dislike Beckett's pricing there are two columns and this dealer completely ignores the existence of the left column (lower price). Basically they are stuck in 1992.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    On the issue of accepting credit cards......

Many of the people set up at shows are not big time businessmen, some are, some arent. There are ATM's located just about anywhere nowadays, it isnt that hard to go get some cash. I can understand if we are talking a several hundred dollar purchase, to which I would be happy to accept paypal, but to go to a smaller show and have to bring out some kind of credit card device is asking a little too much. Its been a while since I last set up at a show and even back then, I was happy to accept paypal, but also factored that into the price I was asking if a discount was requested.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Nothing a dealer/seller does really "irritates" me, but there are a few things that they do that will result in me passing his/her table and moving on to the next without giving it a second thought (in order of what will make me move on the fastest):

(1) lack of at least some semblance of professionalism (customer care, attire, being polite, etc.); and

(2) disorganized boxes and display cases.

I put item 1 at the top, because I don't need the hassle. I go to shows because I enjoy the interaction among fellow collectors. I don't NEED a show to supply me with cards anymore like in 1994 - everything I collect, I can easily find online. Item 2 is up there, because I don't have the patience or time to search through mountains of monster boxes - I was at the Chantilly show on Friday afternoon, and I started going through a monster box that supposedly had some 1975 mini's buried in it. I searched for maybe 2 minutes, and then said the heck with it, and moved on to the next table. It's not worth the time and eye strain to have to search through product.

Lack of prices on cards doesn't bother me. I simply ask the dealer what he/she wants for the card, and if we reach agreement on a price I buy it. If not, I simply walk to the next table or wait for a better price online, no big deal.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    On the question of accepting credit cards, there really isn't any reason for anyone not to accept them- square is easy and I'd rather give up 3% than lose a sale.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did someone with a Cincy Redlegs avatar post in this thread??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Did someone with a Cincy Redlegs avatar post in this thread?? >>

Nothing to see here......please move along. LOL.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

• << <i>On the issue of accepting credit cards......

...but to go to a smaller show and have to bring out some kind of credit card device is asking a little too much.... >>

That's part of the "welcome to the 21st century" thing. You no longer have to bring out some kind of machine and hook it up to the nearest phone line. The device fits in your pocket, weighs an ounce, and plugs into your cell phone or iPad. The current fee is 2.75%. There really isn't an excuse for not using one other than stubbornness.

• << <i>That's part of the "welcome to the 21st century" thing. You no longer have to bring out some kind of machine and hook it up to the nearest phone line. The device fits in your pocket, weighs an ounce, and plugs into your cell phone or iPad. The current fee is 2.75%. There really isn't an excuse for not using one other than stubbornness. >>

+1

<< <i>

<< <i>On the issue of accepting credit cards......

...but to go to a smaller show and have to bring out some kind of credit card device is asking a little too much.... >>

That's part of the "welcome to the 21st century" thing. You no longer have to bring out some kind of machine and hook it up to the nearest phone line. The device fits in your pocket, weighs an ounce, and plugs into your cell phone or iPad. The current fee is 2.75%. There really isn't an excuse for not using one other than stubbornness. >>

link
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GAI and PRO graded cards at PSA prices.
    I just always hope nobody buys them.
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I think grinding dealers on the little things and adding on 3% to transactions is only going to get rid of shows all together. So, I bring cash to shows. For guys spending thousands it would be a different deal, but I'm in the 1k and under group of buyers.

To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15

• << <i>I think grinding dealers on the little things and adding on 3% to transactions is only going to get rid of shows all together. So, I bring cash to shows. For guys spending thousands it would be a different deal, but I'm in the 1k and under group of buyers. >>

I guess a lot of us think that taking on that 3% burden would actually increase sales so that those guys don't have to carry around the same cards for 20 years.

• << <i>I think grinding dealers on the little things and adding on 3% to transactions is only going to get rid of shows all together. So, I bring cash to shows. For guys spending thousands it would be a different deal, but I'm in the 1k and under group of buyers. >>

PP gift?

<< <i>

<< <i>I think grinding dealers on the little things and adding on 3% to transactions is only going to get rid of shows all together. So, I bring cash to shows. For guys spending thousands it would be a different deal, but I'm in the 1k and under group of buyers. >>

I guess a lot of us think that taking on that 3% burden would actually increase sales so that those guys don't have to carry around the same cards for 20 years. >>

3% isn't the reason that some carry the same inventory show after show. Those are the guys that are 50% ABOVE current retail and are barely willing to discount 10% off of their inflated prices...

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I think grinding dealers on the little things and adding on 3% to transactions is only going to get rid of shows all together. So, I bring cash to shows. For guys spending thousands it would be a different deal, but I'm in the 1k and under group of buyers. >>

I guess a lot of us think that taking on that 3% burden would actually increase sales so that those guys don't have to carry around the same cards for 20 years. >>

3% isn't the reason that some carry the same inventory show after show. Those are the guys that are 50% ABOVE current retail and are barely willing to discount 10% off of their inflated prices... >>

Yeah, I think we're talking about the same guys. The guys who are 50% above retail are probably the same guys who refuse to look into a credit card swiper for their phone.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On the question of accepting credit cards, there really isn't any reason for anyone not to accept them- square is easy and I'd rather give up 3% than lose a sale. >>

My mom sells her photography at the farmers Market in downtown Orlando and she uses Square. If a dealer is interested in taking credit cards this seems to be the lowest cost easy solution out there.

Square

As others have mentioned I get the feeling that some of these dealers are not taking credit cards simply because they don't want too.

• aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Dealers not taking credit cards is not a big deal to me at a show. There is usually a bank machine close by.

I do not like when cards are not priced but I certainly understand that it takes an awfully long time to price every item for some dealers. What does bother me is when a dealer has cards that are not priced and I want to go through them to complete a set. Before I start, I will often ask what is the price for commons because I certainly do not want to waste an hour of my time going through cards and finding out the dealer charges double the going rate.

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I've had the same experience as Mark. If I am looking closely at a card, chances are I'm interested, so put down your chili dog and beckett magazine and come over to say hello. I won't bite, and I just might buy something.

Also, not budging on price when the card is clearly overpriced by any standard AND it also happens to be very poor for the grade. But it's not something I lose much sleep over--this is what eBay has become.

• jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I think the pricing issue is what gets me. Commons got to be priced. Also, when a dealer hands me a box of cards and they are all way out of order. I just want to throw the box back and say no thanks, and sometimes I do that. It seems the dealers always think us customers are trying to "cherry pick" everything from them.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a coin dealer who's looking at selling some personal cards I find these threads enlightening.

Interesting that the dealer bashing threads here aren't much different than those on the coins side.

So, what I'm taking away from this thread so far is...
    1)If the card's not priced well below low Beckett the guy's trying to hose you,
    2)You want cash discount level prices...but can't be bothered to actually carry some cash or go a block away to an ATM to get some,
    3)The dealer should grovel at your feet because getting your business is THAT awesome, and for that massive sale...which is seldom massive, and given #1 above, not that profitable, he should eat any and all fees with a smile.

...and this all is assuming you even buy anything, and don't just waste half an hour picking through, sliming and dinging up his inventory.

Good to know.

..and not to be provocative here, but I've heard the "he lost my $$$$ amount sale" thing a million times on various threads and from BTOs at shows, and I'm not saying that it's BS, but I'm saying that my experience is that people who make such statements are usually bigger talkers than buyers. Just saying.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telephoto, I'd surmise by your post that you're not very enlightened at all. Snarky and sarcastic, yes, but certainly not enlightened. JMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>
    3)The dealer should grovel at your feet because getting your business is THAT awesome, >>

This is a very ignorant statement imo. Any good businessman knows that getting anyone's business is THAT awesome! I don't care if you're selling watermelons out of the back of your pickup or condo's in South Beach. Treat every customer as if they are the only customer you have and you will be sure to succeed.