Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

sharing Wrestlers Vs Boxers early MMA Tickets + Hulk Hogan IWGP

Recently picked up a few and thought I would share.

Also If anyone can read Japanese and could translate the writing on the tickets
I would really appreciate it. Most interested in the date of the IWGP ticket if there
is one on it.

First is the June 26th 1976 “SUPERFIGHT” Exhibition between Ali and Inoki

Inoki met former World Boxing Champion Muhammad Ali on June 26, 1976 in Tokyo.
The match was a special boxer vs. wrestler contest, between two of the top athletes in each profession.
The match was a slow, but enduring, draw in 15 rounds. Upon returning to the United States,
Ali was hospitalized with an injury he received in the bout.. ( info copied from http://www.legacyofwrestling.com/ )

Second is the Antonio Inoki Vs Leon Spinks on Oct 9th, 1986 in Japan. 11,520 attendance. Inoki pinned Spinks in the eighth round.
He had begun the bout with boxing gloves on, but took them off in the fifth

( Match Info can be viewed here http://www.mmbolding.com/Heavyweights/Boxer_vs._Wrestler_Leon_Spinks.htm )

Third is the CHUCK WEPNER vs. ANTONIO INOKI Oct 25th, 1977
Inoki Defeated boxing champion Chuck Wepner by submission
The Budokan Hall attendance 10,000

William Franqui ©Stars and Stripes
Tokyo, October, 1977: Japanese wrestler Antonio Inoki prepares to put the finishing touches on American boxer Chuck Wepner in the main event of the 1977 Martial Arts Second Championship at the Budokan Hall. "Inoki is fast and good," Wepner said after his loss in this early version of mixed martial arts. "For a wrestler, he throws a mean punch."

Last not an MMA but a nice Early Hulk Hogan Title Win
1983 The 1st International Wrestling Grand Prix (IWGP)
Championship Tournament. June 2, 1983 in Tokyo, Japan Sumo Hall drawing 13,000

IWGP was held by New Japan Pro-Wrestling in 1983 with two representatives from each of five different zones in the world. The participants included:
Asia
Antonio Inoki -The last champion of NWF Heavyweight Title
Killer Khan

The United States
Hulk Hogan
Big John Studd

Canada
Andre the Giant
Dino Bravo - Cancelled the tournament because of a family problem; replaced with
Rusher Kimura - The last champion of IWA World Heavyweight Title 3rd place in the Asian regional semi-finals.

Central & South America
Canek - UWA World Heavyweight Champion
Enrique Vera

Europe
Otto Wanz - CWA World Super Heavyweight Champion
Akira Maeda - European Heavyweight Champion

Comments

• PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Love this stuff
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post. I have the ticket signed by Hogan here........

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Also If anyone can read Japanese and could translate the writing on the tickets
    I would really appreciate it. Most interested in the date of the IWGP ticket if there
    is one on it.

IGWP tickets are from 1983 according to the date on them.
  • Nice

I was wondering what the different colors represented,
    I thought maybe the date since the matches were held between May 6 to June 2.
    Seeing the three different ones of yours that I suspect are May-21 (5 - 21 / stub end)
    it seems the colors were associated with the ticket price
    Yellow 2,500
    Pink 4,000
    Green 4.000/4,500
    Blue 5,000

Have you been able to translate the Japanese writing ? is the date anywhere on the larger
    end of the ticket ( stubless end )

EDIT Thanks on the year verification. Very interested in trying to figure out the Month and day of the ticket as the JUNE 2 date
    would be the most desirable to own image

<< <i>Nice

Seeing the three different ones of yours that I suspect are May-21 (5 - 21 / stub end)
    Yellow 2,500
    Pink 4,000
    Green 4.000/4,500
    Blue 5,000

Have you been able to translate the Japanese writing ? is the date anywhere on the larger
    end of the ticket ( stubless end ) >>

Different colors mean different sections of the stadium. Blue is ringside, yellow is 1-level upper deck, and then green and pink are various areas on the ground level.
    Thanks for the help! image
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

• << <i>

<< <i>Nice

Yellow 2,500
    Pink 4,000
    Green 4.000/4,500
    Blue 5,000

end of the ticket ( stubless end ) >>

Different colors mean different sections of the stadium. Blue is ringside, yellow is 1-level upper deck, and then green and pink are various areas on the ground level. >>

Thank you very much for the additional information, much appreciated image I now know my stub is "RINGSIDE" so that is a plus for me
    as I do prefer the RINGSIDE tickets. Now just need to try and get a list of the dates and Opponents for each day of the competition.

Most of the fun for me is doing the research and filling in the blanks

Again many thanks for the info
    No problem. There is no date on the large end(stubless side), only seating information. The Y4000/Y4500 difference is if you reserve your ticket or buy them the day of. No date on the blue ticket because the stub is torn off, but the other ones are from May 21st.
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    I love the tickets from the late 70's and 80's. Great graphics. Just wanted to share my only Hogan signed ticket.

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/boxingandwrestling/media/Hoganticket-site_zps5d646627.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

Very cool, that ticket is from the 1983 Madison Square Garden Tag League Series. It'd be great to hear stories of these series and matches from these guys.
  • Here is another early Hulk Hogan I recently missed when the power went out about 20 minutes before the end image

I beleive its for the Hasama Show (May 23rd, 1980)

1 Kuniaki Kobayashi Def. George Takano
    2 Kengo Kimura Def. Makoto Arakawa
    3 Ryuma Go Def. Haruka Eigen
    4 Kantaro Hoshino Def. Osamu Kido
    5 Riki Choshu & Willem Ruska Def. Bad News Allen & Tito Santana
    6 Strong Kobayashi Def. Chavo Guerrero
    7 Andre The Giant Def. (CO) Seiji Sakaguchi
    8 Bob Backlund & Tatsumi Fujinami Draw (NC) Dusty Rhodes & Stan Hansen
    9 Antonio Inoki Def. (DQ) Hulk Hogan

Interesting, but not sure. The ticket says it's from the Tohkon Series and looks to be for the NWF Heavyweight Championship between Inoki and Hogan. It's 1980/1981 as that is when Hogan was using the cape I believe. Puroresu.com doesn't have a Tohkon Series listed during those two years.
    Amy information on this one?

• NWF Ticket

Yes the date and venue was only a guess on my part using the
    limited info I could discern from the picture and NWF info. The only match
    I could find between Inoki and Hogan for 1980 / 81 that seemed to match was
    the May 23 event but since it has Tohkon Series mentioned on the ticket that
    changes my guess. I suspect this is a ticket to a phantom match that never took
    place. Given the ticket looks to be a Printer proof (no seat or section numbers)
    also leads me to think it’s a non-event ?

• << <i>Amy information on this one?

image >>

EDIT Wrong again image 0 for 2. Info below is incorrect see lower entry for correct date

The only event held on 5-30 I could find for Andre the Giant was

NJPW Osaka Show
    May 30th 1978

EDIT

<< <i>Amy information on this one?

image >>

This ticket is from the Friday May 30, 1975 Golden Fight Series held in Tokyo. Great ticket with Inoki, Sakaguchi, Andre and Kobayashi.
    Thanks Sumo! Pretty cool to have such an early ticket of Andre!
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also If anyone can read Japanese and could translate the writing on the tickets
    is one on it.

IGWP tickets are from 1983 according to the date on them. >>

If someone wants to send me a very high resolution scan of one or more of these tickets, I think I can use optical character recognition and translation software to get at least some of the text translated. I'll have to chop it up and make the text horizontal in order for the software to work. On the 1975 Golden Fight Series ticket, I was able to translate part of that piece underneath the 5/30 date (confirmed that is the month/day because of the symbols nearby) as saying "6:30 Start". The first two characters didn't translate meaningfully but I think it's because of the low resolution, it can't correctly identify the second character. I didn't see the Japanese symbol for year anywhere on that particular ticket so they may not have listed the year on front. So far all I can say for sure is "May 30th at 6:30PM."
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
    What is on the tickets is names, promotion statement (ie Heavyweight Chanpionship Super Fight), times(the characters in front of 6:30 mean pm(gogo)), seating information (side of ring(north,south,east or west) row and seat), promotors, television info, etc. None of them have year info, but knowing the series and the date and day of week you can look up the year. The 1975 ticket lists Inoki and Sakaguchi as the North American Tag Team Champions. It has Andre as the World Giant of the Mat. Kobayashi is listed as the IWA World Champion. The Inoki/Ali ticket is from a "Royal Seat) and is very expensive. Not sure, but the Royal Seats were probably the top of the line as Y300000 was a ton of money in Japan in the 1970s.

• << <i> The Inoki/Ali ticket is from a "Royal Seat) and is very expensive. Not sure, but the Royal Seats were probably the top of the line as Y300000 was a ton of money in Japan in the 1970s. >>

Did a little checking, the exchange rate for JPY-Japan [Japanese yen / ¥] to USD-United States [US dollar / $]
    on June 26, 1976 was 1 JPY=0.003362 USD. Which works out to 1,008.60 USD

Inflation calculation between 1976 and 2014 shows Adjusted cost of ticket for inflation would be 4,234.98
    Cool. Great perspective.
    Cool, neat to see the math!
    I was just looking on eBay and saw a 1978 Ali-Spinks ringside ticket that was $200 back then. So the Inoki-Ali ticket costing Y300000 is a small fortune...easily a month's salary for the average worker.

<< <i>

<< <i> The Inoki/Ali ticket is from a "Royal Seat) and is very expensive. Not sure, but the Royal Seats were probably the top of the line as Y300000 was a ton of money in Japan in the 1970s. >>

Did a little checking, the exchange rate for JPY-Japan [Japanese yen / ¥] to USD-United States [US dollar / $]
    on June 26, 1976 was 1 JPY=0.003362 USD. Which works out to 1,008.60 USD

Inflation calculation between 1976 and 2014 shows Adjusted cost of ticket for inflation would be 4,234.98 >>

On the other hand the 5/30/1975 ticket for Y1000 was probably equivalent to $12 or $14 today. image

• << <i> the 5/30/1975 ticket for Y1000 was probably equivalent to $12 or $14 today. image >>

Exchange rate for JPY-Japan [Japanese yen / ¥] to USD-United States [US dollar / $]
    on May 30, 1975 was 1 JPY=0.003439 USD. Which works out to 3.439 USD

Inflation calculation between 1975 and 2014 shows Adjusted cost of ticket for inflation would be 15.44

Astounding difference a little more then 273 times more

• << <i>

<< <i>Also If anyone can read Japanese and could translate the writing on the tickets
    is one on it.

IGWP tickets are from 1983 according to the date on them. >>

If someone wants to send me a very high resolution scan of one or more of these tickets, I think I can use optical character recognition and translation software to get at least some of the text translated. I'll have to chop it up and make the text horizontal in order for the software to work. On the 1975 Golden Fight Series ticket, I was able to translate part of that piece underneath the 5/30 date (confirmed that is the month/day because of the symbols nearby) as saying "6:30 Start". The first two characters didn't translate meaningfully but I think it's because of the low resolution, it can't correctly identify the second character. I didn't see the Japanese symbol for year anywhere on that particular ticket so they may not have listed the year on front. So far all I can say for sure is "May 30th at 6:30PM." >>

I must of missed this post.

Thanks very much for the offer but I think Sumo filled in what I needed.
    Again thanks for the kind offer its much appreciated
    Thanks again for all the information that this thread has provided. This board is awesome in increasing knowledge.

<< <i>

<< <i> the 5/30/1975 ticket for Y1000 was probably equivalent to $12 or $14 today. image >>

Exchange rate for JPY-Japan [Japanese yen / ¥] to USD-United States [US dollar / $]
    on May 30, 1975 was 1 JPY=0.003439 USD. Which works out to 3.439 USD

Inflation calculation between 1975 and 2014 shows Adjusted cost of ticket for inflation would be 15.44

Astounding difference a little more then 273 times more >>

This ticket would be more in my price range!
  • After some in depth searching I found the Date and venue for the ticket below At CAGEMATCH.net in the Database of Matches .
    Seems it was indeed a live event. Interesting its listed as a "TV-Show" Event Type

NWF Heavyweight Title match: Antonio Inoki Defeats Hulk Hogan (13:19)
    NJPW Toukon Series 1980 - Tag 21 @ Kuramae Kokugikan in Tokyo, Japan

image >>

Page capture below with the event circled in red

Perfect. The ticket has Kuramae Kokugikan on it so that looks like it.
    Found this one laying around tonight..........

• Quick search result would be one of the 35 cards held between 71/5/24 - 7/10 that are listed at the link below

'71 Golden Series list

There are a few cards that feature these 4 that I think are pictured on the ticket
    Giant Baba
    Antonio Inoki
    Ivan Koloff
    Freddie Blassie
    It's from the June 17,1971 card at Miyagi Prefecture Sports Center which is on the ticket. Cool ticket.

• << <i>

image >>

Another awsome early Inoki very nice
    Thanks for sharing wrestlingcardking, Not many ticket collectors of this stuff so seeing them here may
    be the only place or time we will ever get the chance.

Here are the specifics of that Card
    Thanks again to SUMO for the translation, we are very lucky to have his input here

Card 16 of the Golden Series 1971

Smokey, do you collect other wrestling tickets or are you mostly focused on those from Japan?

• << <i>Smokey, do you collect other wrestling tickets or are you mostly focused on those from Japan? >>

Interested in any wrestling tickets pre 2000 but I prefer they have images of the wrestlers
    on the tickets and the ones from Japan seem to be the ones that fit that requirement. I
    never say never and open to any tickets that have historical significance or some type of
    event that would make them stand out.

I like to Mat and frame my tickets along with photos, cards or Programs and a little plaque that help highlight the event and the more special the event the more chance I have of finding other material to include in the display.

Have not framed any of my wrestling tickets yet but have done many Boxing tickets.
    Probably will be doing some after I get them encapsulated.

A few examples linked below. BTW These were early efforts getting my feet wet learning how to cut Mats.

Rather then clutter up this thread with framed boxing tickets I will just include some links
    to a few I took pictures of and posted to my web storage

Excuse my poor photographic skills. I had to take pictures at an angle and without flash to eliminate the reflection problem.
    Some of the bordered areas look to be uneven but it’s only do the angle of the photo, all the Mat cuts are actually very even.

Ali Vs Liston 2

Another Ali Vs. Liston

Dempsey Vs. Willard

Dempsey Vs Gibbons

Foreman Vs Ali
    Those look awesome! Those are exhibition pieces for sure. Wow! I may have to send you some work after a while.....

Rob
  • Any help on what these are would be great.

They were extra items thrown in with a few other tickets I recently picked up.

All Japan Pro Wrestling from 1983 and 1984. The bottom one is from August 1 1984. Need to do a little more research.

• << <i>All Japan Pro Wrestling from 1983 and 1984. The bottom one is from August 1 1984. Need to do a little more research. >>

Thanks so very much

So these are tickets ? I was not sure as they are on very thin paper stock.
    I am guessing the date on the last one is in the half stamp on the right side
    that has 58. 8. 1 ( 8. 1 = Aug 1 and somehow 58 = 1984 image ) The first one has 59 so
    again I assume that is 1983 ? Any other info you turn up will be greatly appreciated.

Have 3 more picture/head shot tickets I will be posting as soon as I finish learning
    what I can about the venue and card dates.

Oh BTW I finally put a full date to My Blue Ringside IWGP Ticket. I noticed it had the
    same Venue "KORAKUEN HALL" (Lower Right Corner) as the 1975 Andre the Giant
    "GOLDEN FIGHT SERIES" May 30th Ticket pictured earlier in this thread. Using that
    info I can now put the date as May 15th 1983. Not the June 2nd I was hoping for
    but at least I now know what day it was.

Hogan versus Andre is awesome despite not having the date you were hoping for.
    The 58 is the 58th year of the Showa Era in Japan in which Emperor Hirohito reigned. After the emperor dies, the years start over under a new era.

Showa 58 = 1983
    Showa 59 = 1984
    and so on

They are tickets. The top and bottom were purchased the day of. The middle ticket is an elementary/junior high school priced ticket.

• << <i>Hogan versus Andre is awesome despite not having the date you were hoping for. >>

Oh thats right, I remember noticing that and then forgot after reading a bunch of other results,
    Thanks for reminding me I need to add that in bold to my notes so I don't forget again. It is certainly
    as good as the june 2nd card as far as what I was hoping for image

• << <i>The 58 is the 58th year of the Showa Era in Japan in which Emperor Hirohito reigned. After the emperor dies, the years start over under a new era.

Showa 58 = 1983
    Showa 59 = 1984
    and so on

They are tickets. The top and bottom were purchased the day of. The middle ticket is an elementary/junior high school priced ticket. >>

Wow that's very interesting thanks for sharing. Another fun fact I learned here
  • Finished research on 3 new additions

1980 BLOODY FIGHT SERIES Sept 11th 1980 (TAG 17)

Arena: Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium

• 1981 TOUKON SERIES (Fighting Spirit) Oct 29th 1981 (TAG 18)

Arena: Sports Center

• Oct 8th 1981 NEW JAPAN (NJPW) vs. INTERNATIONAL WRESTLING (IWE) Attn 13,000
    Rusher Kimura Defeats Antonio Inoki by DQ (10:35)
    @
    KURAMAE KOKUGIKAN in TOKYO, JAPAN
    SUMO ARENA

Cool tickets and great research! Spot on!
  • Just picked up another 20 tickets Will add them here as I research each one.
    For now I set up a web page on my site that has images of what I have so far and
    will also add the new tickets there as well. LINK below.

Web Page showing collection

<< <i>Just picked up another 20 tickets Will add them here as I research each one.
    For now I set up a web page on my site that has images of what I have so far and
    will also add the new tickets there as well. LINK below.

Web Page showing collection >>

I am very impressed and like the overall presentation. I'll keep my eye out for more of them. I love how you bring it all together and provide more of a story to the actual event.