Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Latest pickup - 1975 Topps Brett - PSA 9 potential?

Just got this beauty delivered in the mail today. This one is so much sharper than the PSA 8 Brett I also own. The scan makes the bottom edge looks like it's showing a bunch of white or chipping. It's not. The white specs on his sleeve are from the scanner. This is currently slabbed in a BVG holder. Thoughts on if this could land in a PSA 9 or <gasp> a PSA 10 holder?

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

Comments

• saraceno21saraceno21 Posts: 49 ✭✭
    That is sharp. It may very well be a 10. One of the best raw copies I have seen.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep looking at that bottom right corner, the least sharpest of them all. Love the centering on the card and with a really big scan it really magnifies minor issues. I'd say 8 or 8.5 but you never know. Good luck with it. Doug
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a 10, but I think you have a strong shot at a PSA 9. How's the back?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Thats a gorgeous Brett without a doubt. I am no expert, but, yes, the bottom right corner does not look razor sharp like the others do. But I could see that at an 8.5 comfortably.
    Don't forget this card is also significantly enlarged. I don't see that bottom corner holding it back from attaining a PSA 9 grade. In fact, I've seen worse many times in a PSA 9 holder.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't forget this card is also significantly enlarged. I don't see that bottom corner holding it back from attaining a PSA 9 grade. In fact, I've seen worse many times in a PSA 9 holder. >>

I would agree with this. Change my answer to a "9".
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't forget this card is also significantly enlarged. I don't see that bottom corner holding it back from attaining a PSA 9 grade. In fact, I've seen worse many times in a PSA 9 holder. >>

I would agree with this. Change my answer to a "9". >>

From the scan I'd say 9 also. As for better than that? Only one way to find out... image
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    have to wonder why it's in a BVG jacket in the first place
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>have to wonder why it's in a BVG jacket in the first place >>

That was my first thought as we'll

What did BVG grade it at? Whatever it is, I'd send it in to psa raw...just my opinion
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • RyanAdmirerRyanAdmirer Posts: 632 ✭✭
    That's an incredible Brett!!! I could easily see that baby in a 9 slab. Congrats!!!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    As long as there aren't surface issues, it does have a real shot at a 9. Nice job!!! Times like this I bet you wish BVG was still doing sub grades.
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful card! If it's not trimmed, color retouched, or sheet cut it's a 9 all day.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    good for at least 8.5 or better.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • 8,9, or 10 all day long.
    Just depends on who grades it and how they're feeling that day.

Nice card.
  • jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    That is a eye-popping Brett. I could see a 9.
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Awesome card. What is the BVG grade?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Hoping this pulls a 10.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I'd say no chance at a 10 with the bottom right corner, but then you never know. Look at the top left and right corners of this rice rc PSA 10

But your only chance of getting that into a psa holder is to crack IMHO. And that has its own risks obviously.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    A Cardcountry has said///////

9 in my book superb
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Definite PSA 9 potential! Keep us posted.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • As long as the back is good, no surface issues etc......that card is a 9, with a shot at a 10 every day of the week.

As fitz said though, its an 8-9-10 depending on who grades it and how they feel on the particular day.

• Thanks for the opinions guys. Tim- the back looks great. I'd say 75/25 on the centering and no marks. This is in a bvg 9 slab currently. I picked it up in the last memory lane auction. Cracking out obviously has some risk since I did drop a significant amount on the card already. So no chance of getting this to cross over to a 9 directly? I've had success with that once on a 61 Maris from bvg 8 to psa 8. Other than that I usually submit raw including a 1975 yount that was a bvg 8.5 that I cracked and had to sub twice to get in a psa 8.5 slab.

No surface issues with this card and it measures same as my yount. Maybe I crack it and hope for the best...

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm no grading expert, but a 9 seems more realistic. I would've thought the slight registration issues could be an issue, but not after seeing this 10. Have you checked that bottom edge with a loop? Thats the spot for potential trouble, especially with 75s.
  • Here's a shot of the back from the auction listing. Looking at this card under magnification, I can see a very tiny chip on the top border above the R in Royals which isn't easily noticeable with the naked eye. On the bottom edge, there is another very small chip below the baseball. The surface has no print dots or blemishes that I can see.

I'd try a straight cross first. You can always crack the slab if it doesn't. Terrific card no matter what holder it's in.

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say no chance at a 10 with the bottom right corner, but then you never know. Look at the top left and right corners of this rice rc PSA 10
    >>

If that Rice is a 10, than the OP's Brett might be a 10.5.
    Centering on back is within PSA 10 parameters and the the PSA 10 Rice linked to above is centered very similarly. I would agree that the Brett is not going to grade PSA 10, but if card is not trimmed or sheet cut, it should grade a solid PSA 9.

• The thing I find interesting about this card compared to other Brett's is the more consistent shade of purple and green this one exhibits. The purple is a lighter shade where many are more of a blue/purple color. Same with the green. This one is a lighter, more consistent green compared to most.

At first, I wasn't sure what to think of the color difference as it almost looks like its from a different printer and paper than the others. I took at look at the past sales of PSA 10s and sure enough 2 of the last 3 sold feature this same lighter color palate.

Here's 1:

Here's the other which has major registration problems, IMO:

So after looking at these, this is where my hopes got raised that I might have a shot. I think I'm going to go with Tim's suggestion as submit in the holder first for a straight crossover. Will be sure to update this thread when I find out if I was successful or not.

• MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    The thing with a BVG card like this is that it is generally there for a reason. The consignor knew it was worth more in a PSA slab and did the AH. It is even possible the AH had it reviewed before the auction, which is not uncommon.
    I would not crack it, but I would review it all day long.

Good luck.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    The thing with a BVG card like this is that it is generally there for a reason. The consignor knew it was worth more in a PSA slab and did the AH. It is even possible the AH had it reviewed before the auction, which is not uncommon.

+1
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    that DY 10 is horrid, but i think that's already been discussed here before.
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that DY 10 is horrid, but i think that's already been discussed here before. >>

Yup a lot of them were. Check out the Jim rice RC
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    I say no chance at a cross. It looks sheet cut to me as there are none of those little microscopic fibers like seen on
    the other two posted. No fibers = sheet cut..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • I just took at a look at the edges on this Brett and my psa 8.5 Yount under magnification. You can actually see a few micro fibers on both the left and right sides of both cards. I'm not sure what other tell tale signs there are with a "sheet cut" card, but this card looks legit.

• MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    It all comes down to why you bought the card. If you wanted a beautiful Brett rookie for 35% of the price of a PSA 9 for your collection, you did great. If you bought it thinking "gee, easy money", you are probably going to be disappointed. Believe me, you would not be the first person to see that card in that slab and think the same thing. I am sure the original owner thought that a cross would more than double his money and a bump a bonanza. Basically a no brainer try. I'd be shocked if they didn't. The same goes for Memory Lane. Their job is to get the most money for the card that they can. If they thought it was a PSA 10, you better believe they showed it to PSA before the auction. Even a 9 was worth the time.

That doesn't mean that you should not try, but I would NOT crack it and I would not expect a cross. Going in with that understanding, maybe you get a very nice surprise, but it should be just that, a very pleasant surprise, not a realistic expectation. Worst case, you own a beautiful card at a very attractive price.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to try to get this card into a PSA 9 holder, you'll absolutely have to crack it out. There's no way PSA will cross it from BVG.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>If you want to try to get this card into a PSA 9 holder, you'll absolutely have to crack it out. There's no way PSA will cross it from BVG. >>

Therein lies the rub. I tend to agree with that assessment, and with the somewhat negative perception of BVG a definite factor, that would explain why the card may not have crossed if it were attempted by the owner or the AH prior to its being listed. I would still try the straight cross first, but it is quite possible you may have to crack out the card to get a truly objective evaluation. There is no way to know for sure if the original owner submitted it to PSA first, and this being a PSA forum, the natural assumption is to think it did take a trip to Newport Beach before being slabbed by BVG, but there is no way to know that for sure, unless you know the person who submitted the card. Worst case scenario if you crack it out and PSA rejects it, you can always resubmit it to BVG.

• Alright guys... got some updates on this one.

I sent in the Brett for a crossover in the BVG holder back in early June. As expected, it came back "min grade" and was kept in the original BVG slab. I decided to roll the dice and crack it out of the BVG slab and submit it along with 5 other former BVG slabbed cards all raw as part of my CC renewal last week.

Grades just popped.

Mr. Brett is now at home in a PSA 9 holder! Will post a scan next week when I have the card in hand.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!!

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright guys... got some updates on this one.

I sent in the Brett for a crossover in the BVG holder back in early June. As expected, it came back "min grade" and was kept in the original BVG slab. I decided to roll the dice and crack it out of the BVG slab and submit it along with 5 other former BVG slabbed cards all raw as part of my CC renewal last week.

Grades just popped.

Mr. Brett is now at home in a PSA 9 holder! Will post a scan next week when I have the card in hand. >>

That's great. Congrats!

Too bad it didn't get a fair shake while slabbed in the BVG holder. It's kinda funny how they are influenced by seeing a card in another company's slab.
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Nice!!!
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!!

I didn't follow this thread back in may, so I'm
    just now catching up. That's a really nice card
    and It looks like the group opinion was pretty
    spot on.

Happy for you, you took the chance to break
    it out. How did the other cards grade in
    comparison with their BVG grade?

John

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

<< <i>Too bad it didn't get a fair shake while slabbed in the BVG holder. It's kinda funny how they are influenced by seeing a card in another company's slab. >>

Exactly. That was my main point when I said you'd have to probably crack the card out to get a truly fair evaluation. Glad it turned out well for you, Ryan.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. That is a great looking card all the way around.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • The other cards were all .5 to 1 point lower than their bvg grade.

<< <i>The other cards were all .5 to 1 point lower than their bvg grade. >>

I'll take 1 Brett upgrade over all 4 of those, LOL!

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. Great job!

<< <i>

<< <i>Too bad it didn't get a fair shake while slabbed in the BVG holder. It's kinda funny how they are influenced by seeing a card in another company's slab. >>

Exactly. That was my main point when I said you'd have to probably crack the card out to get a truly fair evaluation. >>

Yep. I've always cracked for that very reason. It's a shame but it is what it is. I'm sure BGS and SGC do the same thing.